Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I did and it was a good read, thx. Its looking good. Now just waiting for the weekend to see the results. :)

I should also clarify I used the Kilz premium not the original.
According to the manufacter's webpage:

KILZ Premium is the superior versatile, water-base stainblocking primer designed for both interior and exterior surfaces. This premium quality, acrylic primer is great for general surface preparation, yet can also seal and block most stains, including rust, tannin, ink, pencil, felt marker and smoke.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
That's cool! But if you think I'm missing something or you have any suggestions, please let me know. Often a question or suggestion leads to trying something new or in some cases simply stumbling onto something.
From my point of view, I'm personally familiar with most types of DIY screens as presented here and elswhere, and some different ones that have been posted on Australian forums..

I'm about to make a new screen myself, and I've been weighing up the pro's and cons of each type before making a decision as to which type I'm going with..

I have found the information that you and wbassett have posted very helpful in evaluating which type of DIY screen is going to best suit me..
I may not go with a particular type that you and Bill have presented, but that information will have helped me to come to a decision, and will for anyone who is considering a DIY screen..

Also, there may be others on this forum at the moment who have found that information helpful and are proceeding with their screens, but haven't posted to say so..

I have found from past experience, that when I've posted information on a particular design of DIY screen, there is sometimes quite a delay before you have anyone respond to that information, and some people prefer to PM rather than directly respond to the forum as I'm sure you are well aware of..

Any information that a member posts will help someone at some time, and isn't that what it's all about?...Although I must admit, it's nice to get an immediate response directly on the forum..:bigsmile:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Any information that a member posts will help someone at some time, and isn't that what it's all about?...Although I must admit, it's nice to get an immediate response directly on the forum..:bigsmile:
I get the feeling that some folks may have interpreted this as a fishing for compliments or gratitude effort. It must be my writing style or choice of words that leads to this type of reaction. So let me restate the reason for this thread.

It is my belief that the vast majority of visitors to a site like this just want to see what their options are and then clear instructions on how to implement their choice. That belief leads me to be concern about starting threads to share brain storming, experimenting, development, and theoretical discussions. I try to clearly distinguish the type of thread by the contents of its title. While I may stray from my own naming conventions for experimentation threads I always identify threads that contain a DIY Screen "SOLUTION". So that is how I try to make sure the majority of our visitors can find the solutions that I have offered up.

The real motivation for asking for input was to avoid the situation where I am posting too much in the way of experimentation logging. This has met with some rather nasty criticism in the past and I would not like to find out after the fact that I have been annoying people.

While I do appreciate the positive feedback and gratitude that some successful implementers pass on, I am more interested in negative feedback. The best example of that I can think of involved the Basic Roller Painting Instruction post. Originally it was only text instructions. Actually the original instructions were for a two roller method employing a regular fuzzy roller and a 6" foam trim roller for smoothing. One day I received some feedback from an individual who had applied the paint to the screen using the fuzzy roller and then went back and down rolled the whole screen with the trim roller. Unfortunately this was absolutely not what the instructions were meant to convey.

I recruited a neighbour and we did some painting and took photos. I spent the better part of the night rewriting the instructions complete photos. So that negative feedback was very much appreciated. That was also the moment when I realized the tremendous responsibility one takes on by posting any kind of instructions. It's not a legal responsibility but for any decent person there is a moral responsibility to make the instruction or solution information as clear and as accurate as possible. I had felt terrible about the loss of time and money this fellow had suffered because my instructions were not clearly written.

A couple of months after that I received a message from KristiSwallow. She had several questions about the Basic Roller Painting Instructions. It became obvious that the instruction were still not clear so I worked with Kristi and we rewrote the instructions. Again negative feedback that lead to a rewarding and very enjoyable collaboration. Fortunately we here at Home Theater Shack have Kristi's efforts available and will benefit greatly from it.

So please know that when I ask for feedback it is a genuine effort to make sure I am providing or withholding information as per the needs and interests of the members here. I am grateful for any feedback and my immediate concern is that I don't overwhelm this forum with useless information that some will view as self serving efforts to garner unwarranted attention.

"Once Bitten, Twice Shy" and I am nursing more than one bite at the moment.:dizzy:

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I may not go with a particular type that you and Bill have presented, but that information will have helped me to come to a decision, and will for anyone who is considering a DIY screen..
What do I want to see? I want to see Prof. fully document whatever screen he goes with so everyone can see it and have another viable option! Especially the guys down under where a lot of the things we use and test either aren't available or cost the same as a small house down there!

As much as it could appear to some, I am not solely about one method as the only method. I sincerely want to see all forms of screen application explored and the best results from those tests and exploration presented for people to see and then they can decide for themselves what suits their needs and skills the best.

Those are just some of the things I would like to see! :)

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
It is my belief that the vast majority of visitors to a site like this just want to see what their options are and then clear instructions on how to implement their choice. That belief leads me to be concern about starting threads to share brain storming, experimenting, development, and theoretical discussions. I try to clearly distinguish the type of thread by the contents of its title. While I may stray from my own naming conventions for experimentation threads I always identify threads that contain a DIY Screen "SOLUTION". So that is how I try to make sure the majority of our visitors can find the solutions that I have offered up.
I think the mad hatter threads are good too and just as important. Granted the average person coming here may not get involved or be interested in those topics, but it does provide an open session for things to be discussed and from there ideas for new threads can blossom.

We can start a thread devoted just to that, the discussion of ideas and thoughts that are sometimes out side of the box thinking and from there it can grow, or be decided it was not such a good idea. I'm with you, sometimes a failure causes more thought than an easy success.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
What do I want to see? I want to see Prof. fully document whatever screen he goes with so everyone can see it and have another viable option! Especially the guys down under where a lot of the things we use and test either aren't available or cost the same as a small house down there!
You're dead right there Bill..I've excluded any laminates as a screen material since I would need to take out a second mortgage to pay for it down here!!..And as for a laminate bigger than 8'x4'.."Yeah we'll get it in for you if you buy a pallet"..:rolleyes:

When I finally move to the new house and start setting up the theatre, I'll be documenting the build process with pics, and giving some info. on the new screen material process..Believe me, it will be the most simple inexpensive way to make a good screen..
I've almost decided on a modified Melamine screen material...I tested a sample of this recently against my current Nulon screen and it's almost identical through the colour spectrum..with excellent blacks, but not quite as good whites..I might just have to live with that...

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I wanna see more Pearl!!

heheheh:hissyfit::wave:

m
The Pearl investigations are still in the works. Keep an eye on the Clear Coat Experimentation thread.

My curiosity just took me off in another direction for a little bit. I still see great potential in adding pearl to the clear top coat. It does seem to add gain without the hot spotting problems that surface sheen does. It also seems that contrary to what the "experts" were telling us there is no severe narrowing of the viewing cone.

Welcome to the Shacl Muzz & stay tuned . . .

21 - 30 of 30 Posts