Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

What Do You Want To See?

4K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  muzz 
#1 · (Edited)
I know this is a slower paced community than I am accustomed to, but even considering that, I am not sure if people are interested in the experimentation that may go on before one might start to develop a solution. I am also not to sure people really have much interest in the development process either.

I am fairly sure people have an interest in solutions. I suspect a fair number of individuals may not even register. They visit a site like this one, read the offered solutions and go away. Some number of them will actually implement a solution while others may go on to search for a more suitable solution, be it DIY or commercial product.

So I am asking if there is anyone who is interested in the experimentation threads and any follow on development threads?

#2 ·
I also have some material with photos and videos that presents Roller Painting Techniques I have developed specifically for painting projection screens. I also kept a log of my experiences painting my own retractile screen. If any of this is of interest to you please let me know.

#3 ·
This is a slower forum but it is growing. It does take some getting used to in the sense that posts aren't rapid fire and real time, almost like an Instant Messenger. I had to get used to this myself.

I wouldn't worry about things if there isn't a lot of follow up posts, like the movie quote "If you build it they will come." The nice thing about the slower pace is it lets me organize things and lay them out without having 10-20 interim posts. I always lay out the informational threads with all the data and testing presented up front and then open it up for Q&A at the end.

Give it some time, but when that day comes we might be wanting the quieter times back some. ;)

#8 ·
Missing something... :scratch: Man... I seen more info on screens in the last few months than I've seen in my lifetime. I had no idea there was so many different varieties of diy screens.

Yeah... this just ain't gonna be like AVS right out of the gate. It took them many years before they even had a diy screen section. We are by far getting an early start on this. I believe in time that we will see more action. However, it will definitely take some time... as in most likely several months.

#9 · (Edited)
I thought this might be an appropriate place to declare my ulterior motive in trying to develop easy, inexpensive, and effective DIY Screen solutions. It's really quite a simple concept that was the motivation behind my very first thread "Tiddler’s Home Theatre Integration Adventure". In that case it was based on the idea that if I could find ways to integrate the home theater equipment into my living room then it would be more attractive to the average person. The average person being someone who appreciates the big screen experience but they are not in a position to build a dedicated private theater in their home. The more people that do this the lower the price of equipment and so on. That makes it less expensive for me too.

The DIY screens offers a similar opportunity. By cutting the cost of a "good" screen down to a range of $50 - $250 you make this a very attractive proposition. More buyers of projectors means lower prices.

There is one catch to all this and of course that is the Wife Approved Factor (WAF). That motivated me to start the Screen Art thread. It also is an indirect motivation to develop screens that are tolerant of ambient light. So first we need to make that screen look nice, when not in use, and it needs to be functional in a room that may have light colored walls.

So yes when all is said and done I do have an ulterior motive and that is to drive the price of a really good future projector down so that when I upgrade from my Optoma HD72 I will be able to buy the current projector that I want without settling for what I can afford.

Mind you I seem to have developed an insatiable curiosity for this screen painting stuff.

#17 ·
Im not trying to derail your topic here, just let me know if I should make another topic for this.

I was just looking over wbassett's sticky thread on "Quick DIY 101- Some Definitions and Acronyms" and I came across this

UPW- Behr Ultra Pure White- a step up from Kilz2 and is a little whiter and brighter and has a higher gain.
Pros: $12 a quart, so still relatively inexpensive. Provides excellent color reproduction. Fast and easy screen to put up.
Cons: Not ambient light friendly. Some find it harder to roll without leaving roller marks (thicker paint).

Before I go any further I should say that Im finding my screen not as bright as I would hoped for. So would UPW be a better base for me then?

thx

btw Im using Kilz not Kilz2. :)

#18 ·
I don't know because I have never worked with Kilz or Kilz2. Maybe Bill has more info on that.

I asked you what you want to see. This is what you want to see so it's on topic. If we get to any kind of conclusions or solutions that people will benefit from a thread with a more apropriate name would be good to help people find info on Kilz vs UPW.

You might find the Behr Facts About Sheen thread interesting.

#19 ·
I don't know because I have never worked with Kilz or Kilz2. Maybe Bill has more info on that.
I have. It's the primer on my walls and the color of my sheetrocked ceilings. It's basically a white primer Todd. And Kilz2 is their 'new' formula - it's a latex. As opposed to the original which was oil based.

I asked you what you want to see. This is what you want to see so it's on topic. If we get to any kind of conclusions or solutions that people will benefit from a thread with a more apropriate name would be good to help people find info on Kilz vs UPW.

You might find the Behr Facts About Sheen thread interesting.
titch, you will want to read that thread!

#21 ·
According to the manufacter's webpage:

KILZ Premium is the superior versatile, water-base stainblocking primer designed for both interior and exterior surfaces. This premium quality, acrylic primer is great for general surface preparation, yet can also seal and block most stains, including rust, tannin, ink, pencil, felt marker and smoke.

#28 ·
The Pearl investigations are still in the works. Keep an eye on the Clear Coat Experimentation thread.

My curiosity just took me off in another direction for a little bit. I still see great potential in adding pearl to the clear top coat. It does seem to add gain without the hot spotting problems that surface sheen does. It also seems that contrary to what the "experts" were telling us there is no severe narrowing of the viewing cone.

Welcome to the Shacl Muzz & stay tuned . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.