Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Are you talking in reference to acoustic stuffing used in speaker enclosures?

Matt

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
It it my understanding that it means 100% of the internal volume of the enclosure filled with acoustic stuffing.

Here is an interesting article on the subject.
http://sound.westhost.com/articles/boxstuff.htm

Matt
The problem is that the term isn't standardized. I'd consider maximum fill to be 1/3 the volume of the box. You shouldn't be leaving no gap for the voice coil to breath in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My problem is that a percentage does not suggest density. Do I want the fill to be fluffy? Do I want it to be stretched as fine as possible? I could jam four shredded pillows into my box or one.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The problem is that the term isn't standardized. I'd consider maximum fill to be 1/3 the volume of the box. You shouldn't be leaving no gap for the voice coil to breath in.
Good point!! :T

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
My problem is that a percentage does not suggest density. Do I want the fill to be fluffy? Do I want it to be stretched as fine as possible? I could jam four shredded pillows into my box or one.
I pack in 2.5 density rockwool for fill and then cover it with a sheet. My cross braces are usually a third into the box so I just fill it up to that point. Don't compress it too much though. You are filling the sub not compacting the sub.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I pack in 2.5 density rockwool for fill and then cover it with a sheet. My cross braces are usually a third into the box so I just fill it up to that point. Don't compress it too much though. You are filling the sub not compacting the sub.

Yet another good point :T :rofl:

I'll keep this in mind if I ever need to stuff an enclosure.

·
Registered
704 Posts
In my experience, "100% stuffed" means using 16 ounces of non-compacted fill material per 1 cuft of enclosure volume.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
In my experience, "100% stuffed" means using 16 ounces of non-compacted fill material per 1 cuft of enclosure volume.
Agreed. One pound polyfill per cu.ft. = 100% fill. If the sub has a vent pole then it will need a couple of inches of clearance between the back of the sub and the polyfill.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts