Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading all these forums and watching youtube videos. I fixed my listening room by moving speakers away from walls, moving the subwoofer around, adding five base traps, replacing blinds with curtains.

Than I took these readings, also I attached the pictures of the room.

I have subwoofer which is connected via the high level input to the speakers and the crossover in the sub. is set to 45 hz.

Please advise.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Advise what, i.e., what are your concerns?

I can advise on XO distances/timing, but without knowing all the test conditions it is risky for me to recommend changes. That said, on the surface it appears to me the SW may be operating almost exactly 180° out of phase with the mains. That is, you will get a much better response in the XO range if the polarity of the SW is reversed. That simple change may resolve your concern if it is with XO range SPL. If your concern is elsewhere in the frequency range then I am not likely to be much help.

If you concern is the XO range SPL then:

Are your AVR distances set to the measured distances? If so, and you want my help with SW distance/timing then:

> Reverse the polarity of the SW.
> Measure with single sweeps and 256k impulse length:
1. FL main
2. FR main
3. SW + FL main
4. SW + FL main
5. SW

No other measurements helps me to help you.

The SW output on the AVR should be connected to the line input on the SW using either RCA or XLR cable.

Are the AVR distances the measured distances? If not, why not? Are you using an auto setup utility like Audyssey?

The AVR XO should be set to 65Hz if that is your preference and the mains must be set in the AVR to 'small'.

All measurements must be full range (~12-20kHz) to either the FL or FR AVR channel using stereo mode. For 'SW' measurements just disconnect the 'main' speaker. For 'main' speaker measurements just disconnect or turn off the 'SW'.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Hi something you can do as a quick test is to listen to some music and put your two hands (clasping together) and put behind your head with elbows facing towards the front, now while listening to the music open and close (bringing your elbows together then opening slowly) if this makes the sound clearer? You should at a point that hear a better sound, more of a direct. You are reducing reflections.

This is done when sitting in your listening position.

Hope you understand what I am trying to explain here.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understood this part very well

"Hi something you can do as a quick test is to listen to some music and put your two hands (clasping together) and put behind your head with elbows facing towards the front, now while listening to the music open and close (bringing your elbows together then opening slowly) if this makes the sound clearer?"

I missed this one

"You should at a point that hear a better sound, more of a direct. You are reducing reflections."

Should I move?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Easiest thing to do is treat the walls, ceilings, floor for sound diffusion. Rooms need to be as transparent as possible and flat walls are bad as they reflect sound like a ping pong bounces on the table. Take some time and apply simple decorations and such on the wall (not frames) to help this.

If you don't want to get crazy simply throw up some nice baskets like my uncle did. It works when several are placed instead of just a few.

Some examples are my progressing room and my uncles finished room

Attachments

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Wow, its a lot. It's a common area or a living room, is it?
The top photo is dedicated space and the bottom photo is a media room used for only for watching movies and tv.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts