Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a few enclosures I'm about to build and am looking for some solutions for a durable finish. I would like to find something I don't need to prime. I've seen the duratex stuff, but it seems a little pricey. I'm looking for black color and have a spray gun and compressor. I'm not looking for roll on solutions.

James

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Maybe Rodny (Rodny Alvarez) will chime in. He is one of the top finish kings and can give you some ideas no doubt. He did my Behemoth (link in sig) ... and his own sub covers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice work Rodney. I spent my younger years installing at a high end car audio shop in Houston 20 years ago. I really have a passion for it and have missed it over the years. Strangely enough a couple of media rooms jobs came together and I'm considering starting a Home Theater design and installation business on a part time basis, until I have enough work to support me. I'm looking forward to designing and building some subs with the helpful guys here on the Shack.

I was looking over SEM's site and was wondering what specific product you used and if you could walk me through the steps of finishing the enclosure.

James

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I have been trying to decide what kind of sprayer to get myself. Not only for my sub boxes, but for my screen as well.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Rodny, that's pretty much exactly the finish I was thinking about for my current sub project. Very nice job... simple, and subtle, but VERY well done.

PS, James, I used the Rustoleum "Hammered Metal" finish on my sub and rear surround which turned out not too bad. On the sub, I found that it seemed to roll on better than the spray, which left slight visible lines on the large panels, but that may be due to my technique as much as anything.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I know one thing is for sure and two things are for certain... two sets of human legs would not hold it up like that for more than a few seconds. That thing was seriously heavy. Get your muscle out... :flex:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you using the SEM 39854 textured coating ?

Are you priming, if so which primer and how many coats?

What sprayer are you using?

Please help. I'd like to figure out how to do this right the first time.

James

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Come on Rodny, we're not asking about the colonel's 11 herbs and spices. Or, maybe we are.

I found a local supplier for the SEM product line and would like to get set up ASAP.

James

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've seen some very nice jobs using spray on truck bed liner. In the end you get a nice somewhat textured finish, but it is extremely durable. I wish I had some pics. It can be far more attractive that you might imagine.

·
Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts
Are you using the SEM 39854 textured coating ?

Are you priming, if so which primer and how many coats?

What sprayer are you using?

Please help. I'd like to figure out how to do this right the first time.

James
Sorry:bigsmile:!!

I cant remember the part number on the texture paint, I have a can at work so I can check it out on Monday and I will let you know

You have to use Bondo to smooth the surface, filled holes and cracks, after that spray the primer, let it dry and sand it with 120 grit, spray again .....more sanding, just make sure there's no major defects on the box before you spray the texture, after couple of coats with the texture use some satin paint to finish the box, you can buy the texture on a can or by the quarts, I Used the gun on Sonnie's because the surface it was to BIG, if the box is Small you can probably use the can, for the primer and the paint you need a spray gun!!

the primer is build up primer not just regular primer!!:dumbcrazy:

:T

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
What kind of spray gun did you tell me to get?

I think I may spray my walls instead of rolling them... with primer that is. I will roll the finish coats.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am at the same point in my build. I am building two 3 cubic foot enclosures that will hold 15 inch subs (one sub each enclosure). I don't have a spray gun and wanted to keep it simple, so I went to Home Depot. They have a paint called 'sand wash' wich basically looks like 40 grit when it is done. I got the "black obsidian" color. It is still in the can. I like that it is not smooth, the texture will help when moving them as each unit will be close to 100 pounds. I should be able to start next week with painting them. I will be happy to posts pics when I get to that point.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WOW Rodny,

You painted the Behemoth with a spray can!!!

That's like painting your house with a brush. That had to take 6 or 8 cans. I'm determined to get a spray rig set up. I just bought a Wagner "Powerpainter Wideshot Home" airless rig to spray latex on in-wall speaker trim bezels and grills. It was regularly $85 at Lowes, but they had it on sale for $59. I guess I need to do some reading tonight to make sure it will shoot the SEM stuff too.

I also found a universal air sprayer from Husky that will shoot automotive finishes to unthinned latex. I just like the idea of being able to take the Wagner to jobsites and use it without dragging the 35 gallon compressor around.

James

·
Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts
What kind of spray gun did you tell me to get?

I think I may spray my walls instead of rolling them... with primer that is. I will roll the finish coats.
Just buy a cheap gun to spray the primer, you can get one one for about $20 and just trash it when your done:bigsmile: or you can borrow mine.:T

1 - 20 of 31 Posts