Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, last night I went and bought a line output converter because, my AVR (Onkyo HTR-340 which hopefully be upgrading in next few months) does not have Line level outputs. I need the LOC because, I'm upgrading to a EP2500 soon.

Problem is when I hooked up the LOC my sub started popping every time I turn off/on the AVR. It also poppes when changing channels or inputs also. I went back to speaker level inputs and it's fine. Whats the deal?? I'm worried, what am I going to do when I get my new subs done?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AVR line level sub output to LOC.
LOC to Plate amp on sub. Sorry, I did leave the current amp out of description.

Basically, I just used the LOC to use the low level input on the plate amp in preparation for my soon coming setup and everything went bad. The sub pops and at one point nothing was coming out of it at all.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right. Currently there is no need but, I'm upgrading soon and need it for connection to an eD eq.2 and on to an ep2500.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, you got it.

I thought I'd hook up my current setup (the plate amp) with low level via the LOC just to make sure everything was a go when I get ready for the eq.2 and the ep2500. Then the popping occurred.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll have to find the box when I get home. I can't remember the brand. I bought it from a local stereo shop. Itt didn't have a gain control on it. Do you have a hunch as to what is going on?

.... I see a new AVR in your future, soon, very soon!
Haha, ya have to say I've loved that lil' Onkyo. Loved the interface and menu system from the day I fired it up. I'll probably be going with Onkyo when I upgrade.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm not understanding popping when changing channels or inputs. I presume you mean inputs on the receiver, and channels on a cable or satellite box? That just makes no sense to me.

Now popping on turn on/off of the receiver, I could understand. If the receiver were sending some kind of minor spike (not normally audible through the subwoofer) which is interacting in a funny way with the line output converter, that would make sense. Or, if the LOC was powered by the switched AC outlet on the receiver and that was doing something funny.

But, that popping on changing channels is just bizarre, given that it's three components upstream from the subwoofer, and I'm assuming there is no popping from the other speakers in the system under the same conditions.

The only thing I can suggest is to try a different LOC.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll double check but, I asked the guy about the ones with the adjustment. He didn't seem to know what he was talking about and just told me that was all he had. I'll check when I get home.

.... I presume you mean inputs on the receiver, and channels on a cable or satellite box? ...
That is correct.

But, that popping on changing channels is just bizarre, given that it's three components upstream from the subwoofer, and I'm assuming there is no popping from the other speakers in the system under the same conditions...
No popping from anywhere else but, the sub. It is strange. I could live with the pop when turning receiver on but, every time you flip a channel is unacceptable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts