Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -

I was reading my avr manual and I noticed there are analog "pre outs" on the back. It says they are to be used with the input of a multi channel powered amp?

This avr is an integra dtr30.1

So when would I use something like this amp and how does it work?

The reason I was doing some research is because (2 things) .... I have an apple tv and I cannot play it in zone 2 because 2 only takes analog. The other reason is because my speakers are in ceiling speakercraft and the center speaker is way up there against the wall and it is hard to hear dialogue even after I turn it up. My manual talks about being able to add additional "front high left and right speakers" so I wondered if that would help that front sound we need.

Anyway, this is my first post. Thank you in advance and I really like the forum.

e

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Welcome to HTS. The Preamp Outputs are there for adding a dedicated Outboard Power Amplifier. Power Amplifiers offer a great deal more power than AVR's 99 times out of 100. However, many do not need to add one provided they are using reasonably efficient speakers and or using a relatively small room and a Subwoofer to handle the Bass.

A 5 or 7 Channel Amplifier is strictly an Amplifier. That is without a Preamp from an AVR or SSP (Surround Sound Processor) you cannot really run your HT just with an Amplifier. You could in theory connect a DVD/BDP Player with Multichannel Outputs and connect it directly to an Amplifier and control the volume through the DVD/BDP, but it is not really practical and would mean you would only be able to have your HT running through it as opposed to all the connections on an AVR/SSP.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Welcome to the forum :wave:

You would use those preamp outputs to an outboard amplifier if you wanted more power than the speaker outputs can provide. If all your speakers are hooked to an amp rather than the back of the integra then you are using the integra as a processor only. I doubt front highs will improve dialog as your integra is still going to send dialog to the center, I believe the front highs are for everything else like sound effects and the sound track. Your best bet is to tinker with your speaker calibration (try moving your calibration mic closer and farther away from the center speaker when you calibrate) and/or get a better center speaker. You have a solid receiver but the audyssey version is kinda old, Audyssey's 2EQ is two or three versions ago....

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
The height speakers are part of Audyssey DSX processing that also has an option for width speakers. With this full blown, the system is 11.1, meaning front left, right, center, side surround right and left, surround back right and left, front width right and left, and front height right and left plus a sub. In short, a room full of speakers. I have a setup like this and it can really add to the surround effects on some movies. But, dialog usually suffers with the width - and to a lesser degree the height - turned on, unless the movie is specifically mixed to take advantage of DSX.

So, as others have said, the center speaker and its quality are the keys to good dialog reproduction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts