Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently completed room treatment and bass traps and was doing some comparisons with Audyssey MultiXT eq enabled and disabled.

I know Audyssey flattens the frequency response and cleans up modal response (as I have seen in the REW measurements before and after), but it also appears to narrow the sound stage significantly. I noticed when watching some 5.1ch concert BluRays, disabling Audyssey made the sound-stage that much wider and dynamic and the sound "fuller".

It seems it is phase shifting a nice wide sound stage and compressing it, so that it is almost like multi-channel Mono. Aydyssey Eq might to movies justice, but it ruins any music or concert material.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I do not know what your musical tests/tastes are but I have not found Audyssey to make the soundstage narrower or the music less dynamic. However, by curtailing some of the modal decays, it can seem a bit less "full" but one would have to know how "full" the original was to decide whether the change was an improvement or not. My experience tells me it is. YMMV.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The Audyssey reference curve rolls off the highs. Try using Audyssey Flat curve for your music, which does not roll off the highs. You may prefer that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a shame my receiver (Integra dtr7.8) does not let you see what changes (other than the basic speaker distance, level and sub crossover freq) or choose different curves.

Which receivers/processors let you choose eq curves or profiles? This could be the next item on my shopping list :D

For now can I use "direct" mode on receiver to bypass any eq for music or concert material.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does your receiver have THX listening modes? The THX Music mode uses the flat curve with no rolloff behind the scenes.
Yes it does. The receiver is THX Ultra2 certified and has all the various THX surround modes. I will have to try it using this mode.

·
Registered
201 Posts
dean70 said:
Yes it does. The receiver is THX Ultra2 certified and has all the various THX surround modes. I will have to try it using this mode.
The downside is it will have the THX processing applied....but it will bring back the high frequencies.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Dean, just a thought, but did you re-calibrate Audyssey after you applied your room treatments? If not, you're sort of double-correcting the sound, first, by Audyssey's analysis based on the original measurements, and then second, by applying your room treatments which Audyssey has no idea about. How many times can I type Audyssey in this post? Audyssey.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dean, just a thought, but did you re-calibrate Audyssey after you applied your room treatments? If not, you're sort of double-correcting the sound, first, by Audyssey's analysis based on the original measurements, and then second, by applying your room treatments which Audyssey has no idea about. How many times can I type Audyssey in this post? Audyssey.
I re-ran the calibration after the room treatment was installed, although it was before the door was fitted. When I did this calibration, I did the sample points 3 across in seating position, 3 behind seats with couches reclined and the final 2 in front of couch in between the first 3 points. I am thinking the back 3 are getting too close to the "hot" zone near the back of the room. Although I now have traps covering the windows, the bass is still stronger about .5m in front of this region, but it is even across the width of the room.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Strange... I wonder if the lack of a door for your measurements would cause that to happen. Maybe you don't need the extra 2 measurement points? I don't know a lot about how Ausyssey works, but just taking measurements for the actual seated listening positions might let it better optimize for those areas.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Owen Bartley said:
Strange... I wonder if the lack of a door for your measurements would cause that to happen. Maybe you don't need the extra 2 measurement points? I don't know a lot about how Ausyssey works, but just taking measurements for the actual seated listening positions might let it better optimize for those areas.
The more measurements you take the better Audyssey can understand what is going on in your room. So it is highly recommended to take the max measurements available.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts