Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

81 - 81 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Knowing that timing delay etc etc is done properly, if I listen my ht 5.1 always around 70 db 68-db, is it better to calibrate the SPL of each channels at 70db instead 75? or it does'nt make any difference at the MLP?
Doesn't make a difference, unless your receiver does some dynamic eq whereby the farther you are below reference level, the more bass and treble are boosted (a la equal loudness curves). Some Denons do this.

I also like to have receiver report master volume in terms of reference level, like instead of "70" it'd be "-15 dB". The latter can be related to others like "My speaker rattles at -5 dB mv (12 feet)..." then I know you were 5 dB below reference level from 12 feet away, which is 80 dB average levels with 100 dB peaks. One could even infer, knowing the speaker in question, how many watts it was drawing and yield help like, "Dude, that speaker has a dip to 3 ohms at 100Hz mid bass. You were probably sending (or at least trying to send) 200w to it, when it can only handle 85w."

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

81 - 81 of 81 Posts