Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to know since I grew up watching slasher films from the 70's and 80's!

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Well, my first would either be Halloween or one of the Jason movies from Friday the 13th as well as Freddy from Nightmare on Elm Street. Do those movies count?

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, my first would either be Halloween or one of the Jason movies from Friday the 13th as well as Freddy from Nightmare on Elm Street. Do those movies count?
Yes they count. I've seen them countless times. Those are classics like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I would put "Halloween" as the best slasher movie thou and second "Psycho" above the "Friday the 13th" series and the "Texas Chainsaw" series. "Halloween" still gets to me. :)

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
Jason ..there's nothing like a hulking brute with a machete and hockey mask (or burlap sack) to run around whacking stupid teenagers :D

·
Registered
592 Posts
Up until 2009 my favorite was Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street. Than in 2009 My Bloody Valentine was re-released in all of its awesome uncut gory bloody goodness than we got the remake in Dolby Digital-EX and in 3D.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Up until 2009 my favorite was Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street. Than in 2009 My Bloody Valentine was re-released in all of its awesome uncut gory bloody goodness in Dolby Digital-EX and in 3D.
The remake of My Bloody Valentine was not so bad but I enjoyed the original more.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The remake of My Bloody Valentine was not so bad but I enjoyed the original more.
The 1981 version was re-released in 2009 as an unrated mostly uncut version to commemorate the 2009 3D remake. They are both my favorite slasher movies of all time.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Lets go back in time!!! :D

Some of my fav's that were forgotten were:

Black Christmas, The Burning, Madman, Silent Night Deadly Night & Prowler (you can see I am a 80's fan of horror?) Oh nothing wrong with old favorite flick called Psycho!! :)

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 1981 version was re-released in 2009 as an unrated mostly uncut version to commemorate the 2009 3D remake. They are both my favorite slasher movies of all time.
I did not know that. I need to check it out now.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lets go back in time!!! :D

Some of my fav's that were forgotten were:

Black Christmas, The Burning, Madman, Silent Night Deadly Night & Prowler (you can see I am a 80's fan of horror?) Oh nothing wrong with old favorite flick called Psycho!! :)
Yes those are for sure great films. A couple that come to mind is 1980's Maniac and 1988's Maniac Cop.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I saw the 1981 version that is on dvd but cover says HD. What is the difference from bluray? I don't think it's the old HD version back before bluray won the format war.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Would "scream" classify as a good slasher movie? That movie does have some scary moments. :)

Another favorite at the time was "Child's Play".. Who can forget Chucky! lol.

·
Registered
592 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
I saw the 1981 version that is on dvd but cover says HD. What is the difference from bluray? I don't think it's the old HD version back before bluray won the format war.
I saw the 1981 version on Blu-ray used at the media exchange yesterday so it is possible that back in 2009 when the Blu-ray/ HD-DVD wars wound down a HD-DVD may have been released.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
In terms of just a classic slasher movie I liked Jason the best. With technology came a better killer known as Freddy. But when it came down to scary killer I have to go with the original Halloween. I love the TCM movies also but Michael Myers is great. As technology has improved some of the classics have lost their luster. And I welcome the new remakes. Others don't but either old or remake I still love Halloween. Remake of Texas was awesome also.

I can't say I have a single favorite but I do have about 10 that are all at the top for various reasons.
Pinhead
Jason
Freddy
Michael
High Tension
Hatchet
Pumpkinhead
Shining
Ect.......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts