201 - 217 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Cruella (2021)
Cinema showing
In Theaters Now
There's one thing this film gets right, it's the soundtrack.
A live-action prequel feature film following a young Cruella de Vil.

Director:Craig Gillespie
Writers:Dana Fox (screenplay by), Tony McNamara (screenplay by)
Stars:Emma Stone, Emma Thompson, Joel Fry
Cruella is brilliantly written, acted and portrayed. Emma Stone is a scene stealer ! She is brilliant . Do not let the premise of the film put you off, Cruella is a hidden gem of action , humor, fashion with dazzling costumes, a great soundtrack, and a pair of terrific performances from Emma Stone and Emma Thompson, this dazzling visual feast is extremely fun to watch whenever its leading ladies lock horns. Cruella is one groovy piece of summer block buster cinema. I would add , Disney production maybe headed for an Oscar nomination "Best Makeup" Academy Award nomination .
Academy Award ( winner Emma Stone ("La La Land") stars in Disney's "Cruella," an all-new live-action feature film about the rebellious early days of one of cinemas most notorious - and notoriously fashionable - villains, the legendary Cruella de Vil. "Cruella," which is set in 1970s London amidst the punk rock revolution, follows a young grifter named Estella, a clever and creative girl determined to make a name for herself with her designs. She befriends a pair of young thieves who appreciate her appetite for mischief, and together they are able to build a life for themselves on the London streets. One day, Estella's flair for fashion catches the eye of the Baroness von Hellman, a fashion legend who is devastatingly chic and terrifyingly haute, played by two-time Oscar winner Emma Thompson ("Howards End," "Sense & Sensibility"). But their relationship sets in motion a course of events and revelations that will cause Estella to embrace her wicked side and become the raucous, fashionable and revenge-bent Cruella.

Cruella has one of the best sound tracks in recent memory accompanying Emma Stone as the title character in Disney's Cruella. The official Cruella soundtrack is a great compilation of 1960s and '70s British rock'n'roll ! Throughout the movie, Emma Stone's powerful performance as Cruella is accompanied by an extensive playlist of rock, R&B, pop and punk music. If there's one thing this film gets right, it's the soundtrack. Cruella's soundtrack includes more than 30 songs from the 1960s and '70s, the soundtrack creates a strong sense of time and place, centering around the British beat music of the 1960s that The Beatles are known for. The soundtrack also includes some of the British Invasion's major hits from bands like The Animals, The Zombies and The Rolling Stones, female power ballads to classic funk.

Cruella opens with a classic anti-establishment hit plucked straight from 1970s London. I knew the film was going to entertain as soon as heard the opening bars of the first tune ......

"Bloody Well Right," by Supertramp (1974).
And the film just continued with musical awesomeness !
"Whisper Whisper," by the Bee Gees (1969).
"Inside-Looking Out," by The Animals (1966). What better to kick off the first action scene of the movie than a bluesy rock hit from the early days of The Animals?
"Watch the Dog That Bring the Bone," by Sandy Gaye (1969).
"She's A Rainbow," by The Rolling Stones (1967).
"I Gotcha," Joe Tex (1972).
"Time of the Season," by The Zombies (1968).
These Boots Are Made for Walkin'," by Nancy Sinatra (1965).
"Five to One," by The Doors (1968).
"Feeling Good," by Nina Simone (1965).
"Fire," by the Ohio Players (1974).
"Whole Lotta Love," by Ike & Tina Turner (1975). Cover of a 1969 Led Zeppelin song.
"The Wild One," by Suzi Quatro (1974).
"Hush," by Deep Purple (1968). Cover of a 1967 Billy Joe Royal song.
"Livin' Thing," by the Electric Light Orchestra (1976).
"Stone Cold Crazy," Queen (1974).
"Car Wash," by Rose Royce (1976). The famous disco tune :) "Boys Keep Swinging," by David Bowie (1979).
"One Way or Another," by Blondie (1978).
"I Get Ideas (When We Are Dancing)," by Tony Martin (1951).
"Should I Stay or Should I Go," by The Clash (1981).
"You're Such A Good Looking Woman," by Joe Dolan (1970). Original cover of The Stooges' 1969 proto-punk hit.
"Smile," by Judy Garland (1963).
"Nightmares," by The J. Geils Band (1974) "Gettin' Out," The J. Geils Band (1974).
"Eternelle," by Brigitte Fontaine (1968).
"Call Me Cruella," by Florence + the Machine (2021).
"I Wanna Be Your Dog," by John McCrea.
"Cruella de Vil," by Mel Leven (1961). In a post-credits scene, Disney pays tribute to the original 101 Dalmatians.
"The Wizard," by Black Sabbath (1970).
"Sympathy for the Devil," by The Rolling Stones (1968).

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·

Director: Quentin Tarantino
Writer: Quentin Tarantino
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie, Emile Hirsch, Margaret Qualley, Timothy Olyphant, Al Pacino, Julia Butters, Dakota Fanning
Narrator: Kurt Russell

A bold preamble flashes up on screen announcing Quentin Tarantino's ninth film. It's a stark reminder that Tarantino is competing with his own legacy. Can anything truly match the sheer brilliance of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction?
First cuts are often the deepest, but Once Upon a Time in Hollywood comfortably reaches the bar set so unreasonably high.

His customary attention to detail is forensic as 35mm, 16mm, 8mm, film is used to frame a story set in 1969. Fictional characters are cleverly set against true events as they mingle with real people in a concurrent storyline.

Rick Dalton (Leonardo DiCaprio) is a jobbing TV actor who fears the big movie roles have passed him by. He is consoled by Bounty Law; a long running Western where he plays the grizzled bad guy. Faithful wingman Cliff Booth (Brad Pitt) is Rick's stunt double, best friend and confidante. Back in Beverley Hills Rick has new neighbors. Impossibly beautiful actress Sharon Tate (Margot Robbie) has moved in with husband Roman Polanski. Rick is excited by the prospect and could be one pool party away from starring in a Polanski movie. If only he could actually meet them. Meanwhile, producer Harvey Schwarz (Al Pacino) is convinced he can reignite Rick's career with a spaghetti western. Interestingly, the Manson clan is hardly shown in the movie. I actually like this choice, because it left a lingering thought that perhaps Manson was a danger at all times, and didn't play to the audience the way I thought it would. It wasn't a story about the Manson murders. Manson just happened to be going on at the time Dalton and Booth were having their struggles, and it intersected.

There are many pleasures to be found in "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood," but Tarantino's interest in replicating Los Angeles in 1969 is worth the price of admission alone. It's enough to find period cars and costumes, but Tarantino goes above and beyond, filling backgrounds with detailed signage and theater marquees, redressed buildings, and packing the radio with advertisements and glorious rock hits to set the mood. Tech credits are downright miraculous, securing the time machine nature of the feature, with Tarantino as much in love with his layered frames as he is with the characters, working diligently to take away the modern world. There's enough going on around the action in "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" to warrant multiple viewings, just to see the hospital corners Tarantino achieves when resurrecting the end of an era. Very impressive .

DiCaprio proves to be such a perfect choice for Dalton that one can't really imagine anyone else in the part. It's one of his best performances, although he's arguably topped by a fantastic Pitt, that reminds viewers how wonderful he can be in the right material. Margot Robbie, was fabulous as Sharon Tate with her effervescent personality. Margaret Qualley, as SuperPuss was a standout.

It's a glorious fusion of genres; part western, buddy movie and homage to popular culture in the 1960s. Stylish and visually stunning, it bears the classic hallmarks of a Tarantino film. Maddening tangents, delightful cameos and set pieces all provide a compulsive mixture. The cinematography, the writing, the casting, the soundtrack, all flawless. This is a superior film and sits comfortably in my top three Tarantino films.

92nd Academy Awards Films I have seen to date:
1917 10/10
Little Women 10/10
Parasite 10/10
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood 9.5/10
Jojo Rabbit 9.5/10
The Irishman 9/10
Marriage Story 9/10
Joker 9/10
Bombshell 8.5/10
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 8.5/10
Ford v Ferrari 8/10
The Two Popes 8/10
Toy Story 4: in 3D -7.5/10
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World: in 3D 7/10

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
Murder by Numbers (2002)
DVD/HBO MAX
Two gifted high school students execute a "perfect" murder - then become engaged in an intellectual contest with a seasoned homicide detective.
Director:Barbet Schroeder
Writer:Tony Gayton
Stars:Sandra Bullock, Ben Chaplin, Ryan Gosling Michael Pitt

Basically Sandra Bullock plays a homicide detective that picks up a murder case involving a woman with few clues as to her death. Two high school kids (one played by a very young Ryan Gosling) think they can commit the perfect murder and out-smart the cops. Cassie (Sandra) battles her own demons as she works out the who, why, and when of the murder, and along the way, allows her new partner and the case itself, to help her work through her some of her personal issues.

The ending is good. The middle gets a little whacked out . A decent police procedural that works better as a character study. This film is best for the Sandra Bullock fan of which I most definitely am. It is not her best film but I enjoyed her conflicted character study all the same . It's well worth catching for its interesting twists on the Leopold and Loeb story. Anything Sandra Bullock is still worth watching .

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
Katla is a chilling new eight-part Netflix series that has recently dropped on the streaming platform.

In Iceland, after the subglacial volcano Katla has been erupting constantly for a whole year, Gríma is still looking for her missing sister who disappeared the day the eruption started. As her hope of ever finding her body is fading, the residents of the surrounding area start to have visits from unexpected guests. There might be something hidden under the glacier no one could ever have foreseen.One year after the violent eruption of the subglacial volcano Katla, the peace and tranquility in the small town of Vik is dramatically disturbed.

The intensity in this series is high as it slowly builds a haunting mystery against this beautiful landscape. One of the better Netflix shows quite disturbing in the end . The film score is first class with some excellent haunting cello orchestration.

I finished this series up and the Dolby Vision cinematography is pretty incredible highlighting the different shades of gray in the in the Smoke of volcanic ash from the seismic disturbance . The visuals of the landscape is worth the price of admission. Katla is some really gorgeous TV Cinema. Thought provoking and original .

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
I Know
What You Did

Last Summer (1997)
Out of Print Blu-Ray

Four young friends bound by a tragic accident are reunited when they find themselves being stalked by a hook-wielding maniac in their small seaside town.
Directors: Jim Gillespie, Danny Cannon
Writers: Lois Duncan, Kevin Williamson
Starring: Jennifer Love Hewitt, Freddie Prinze Jr., Muse Watson, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Ryan Phillippe, Brandy Norwood
Producers: Stokely Chaffin, Erik Feig, Neal H. Moritz, William S. Beasley

Like many hip glossy horror films that came in late '90s (The Faculty, Urban Legend, Halloween H20, Bride of Chucky, et. al), I Know What You Did Last Summer followed the blueprint created by Scream to a T. It polished the 'meta' slasher formula with a popular, young cast of TV stars, self aware dialogue, lots of popular music on the soundtrack, big cordless phones, ****** 90s cars and sleek production value.

A good portion of its success can be attributed to the script. While the studios were telling every writer to make their horror scripts more like Scream, Columbia went out and got Scream's writer Kevin Williamson (screenplay). That said, it's not a mere rehash filled with meta dialogue; Williamson actually wrote this script prior to Scream.

I Know What You Did Last Summer is among the most successful films of the post-Scream era in terms of both revenue and fanbase. Jennifer Love Hewitt is is a knock-out to the 20th power, I watched it mainly for Jennifer Love Hewitt and Sarah Michelle Gellar, who at the time were coming into their own as two of the biggest teen stars.

I enjoyed I Know What You Did Last Summer for what it was - an 80s slasher polished with 90s nu-ness. It holds up surprisingly well. It has some good gore effects. Jennifer Love Hewitt . The direction by Jim Gillespie is solid. The acting isn't too bad. And the story, while cliche, works well enough to be memorable.I still find a lot to like about this film - even if it isn't anywhere close to horror perfection.

🎃 October 31 days of Halloween viewing 🎃
1. Becky (2020) F.T.V. 9/10
2. Cat People (1982) F.T.V. 8/10
3. The Lodge (2019) F.T.V 9/10
4. Gretel & Hansel (2020) F.T.V. 7/10
5.Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity (1987) 9/10
6. Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death (1989) 8/10
7. The City of the Dead (1960) 8.5/10
8. The Grudge (2020) F.T.V. 6/10
9. Phase IV (1974) F.T.V. 8/10
10. The Hunt (2020) F.T.V. 9/10

11. The Blood on Satans Claw (1971) F.T.V 8/10
12. The Entity (1981) F.T.V. 9/10
13. I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997) 8/10

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Practical Magic (1998)
HBOMAX/Blu-ray

Practical Magic / The Witches of Eastwick (Double Feature) [Blu-ray]
Director:Griffin Dunne
Writers:Alice Hoffman (novel), Robin Swicord (screenplay)
Stars:Sandra Bullock, Nicole Kidman, Stockard Channing

Sally (Sandra Bullock) and Gillian Owens (Nicole Kidman), born into a magical family, have mostly avoided witchcraft themselves. But when Gillian's vicious boyfriend, Jimmy Angelov (Goran Visnjic), dies unexpectedly, the Owens sisters give themselves a crash course in hard magic. With policeman Gary Hallet (Aidan Quinn) growing suspicious, the girls struggle to resurrect Angelov -- and unwittingly inject his corpse with an evil spirit that threatens to end their family line.

Capitalizing on the hype of the 1990s, this film offers Girl Power squared. Were it not that Kidman seems to be mainly cast to be present and beautiful. She does that better than ever in this film. The real protagonist of the film is Bullock.
. She shows Girl Power by pointing out that normal is hard enough' the message of the film, it is this: "Do not deny yourself and act according to your own nature, only then will you be truly happy". A chick flick with a bit more substance than average.

Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman are wickedly sexy as the spell-casting sisters doomed to be single for the rest of their natural life. Raised on chocolate cake and midnight margaritas buy there aunts ! I felt the camaraderie of the moment as the two sisters and their aunts got drunk on "midnight margaritas" while dancing to Harry Nilsson's "Lime in the Coconut." It was just plain light fun. Best scene in the whole **** movie. The film has a great sound track to boot .

With Nicole Kidman and Sandra Bullock as the sisters and Stockard Channing and Diane Wiest as their 'bohemian' aunts it can't fail to provide a diverting couple of hours. I thoroughly enjoyed this piece of fluff.

Practical Magic - Midnight Margaritas

Best scene in the whole **** movie.

:ROFLMAO: Fun fact they actually got drunk for this scene Nicole Kidman brought cheap tequilia and they all got hammered.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
The Forever Purge (2021)
Opening night cinema Premiere late late showing with all the Crazies

Buckle Up -High octane adrenaline rush with excellent production value , intense action and deliciously violent.
All the rules are broken as a sect of lawless marauders decides that the annual Purge does not stop at daybreak and instead should never end. On the run from a drug cartel, a Mexican couple battle vicious thugs who plan to continue the violent tradition of the Purge.
The Forever Purge is High a octane adrenaline rush with excellent production value, intense action and deliciously violent. I new what I was getting into with this genre of film making ( which is certainly not for every body ) but for those of use who embrace this type of narrative and "on" the screen violent carnage; Screenwriter James DeMonaco isn't in the least bit subtle with the film's message and social commentary. The Forever Purge truly delivers in a bold exasperating fashion . Buckle -up !

The Purge movies have always done something right as the casting is usually solid, with interesting choices for leading roles. It's effectively disturbing at times, and much of that is simply because the main characters are all well cast and mostly sympathetic.

The Forever Purge, DeMonaco has taken the gloves off. This is a brutal, unflinching violent action crime thriller with plenty of gore for the horror gore -hound .

The production value is through the roof . Incredible set pieces with an array of mayhem , destruction and plenty of pyrotechnics . I very much enjoyed the nod to the Mad Max road warrior segments of the film .

The Purge franchise has always been an intriguing one. The series has explored several hot-button topics. The Forever Purge creates an interesting-looking feature. And the director certainly shows a bit of skill when bringing a little tension into the mix. A solid cast and intense action sequences, combined with DeMonaco's takedown of white supremacists, make this fast-paced entry in The Purge franchise one of its best. 8/10.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 · (Edited)
She-Wolf of London (1946)
Blu-Ray Part of a compilation
The Wolf Man: Complete Legacy Collection
/Cable T.V.
Spoiler

A very underrated golden age of Hollywood Universal Film
A young heiress finds evidence suggesting that at night she acts under the influence of a family curse and has begun committing ghastly murders in a nearby park.

Great Movie Poster
Phyllis Allenby (June Lockheart the perfect mother in the later television Lassie ) is a beautiful and wealthy young lady who's engaged to a handsome attorney (Don Porter). Unfortunately, the joy of her imminent wedding is overturned by her belief that a series of grisly murders at the nearby park is the direct result of a werewolf curse placed upon her family. She-Wolf of London's minuscule budget requires its story to focus more on psychological thrills than creepy monster makeup, but it does have a few good moments thanks to its cast of veteran character actors as well as a script that's slightly more thoughtful than the typical B-movie.

She-Wolf gets a bad rap as it is more a psychological thriller than a typical Universal 'creature' horror. The film has excellent costumes and wardrobe and the sets are extravagant in the Victorian setting . It has the fog-drenched atmosphere but lacks the monster attacks, or in the case of werewolf flicks - the transformation. This doesn't make it a bad film - just a different one.

June Lockhart in She-Wolf of London (1946)

June Lockhart is an American television, film and theater actress. She's best known for her role in the series, Lassie (1954) and Lost in Space (1965). Lockhart was born on June 25, 1925 in New York City. 96 years (y)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
The
Neon
Demon

F.T.V. Prime Video

Director: Nicholas Winding Refn
Cast: Elle Fanning, Jena Malone, Keanu Reeves, Abbey Lee, and Bella Heathcote

An aspiring model, Jesse, is new to Los Angeles. However, her beauty and youth, which generate intense fascination and jealousy within the fashion industry, may prove themselves sinister.

This film definitely falls in the "love it or hate it" category. It is methodical, dark, and forces the viewer to come to their own conclusions. And yet, if you're willing to go where The Neon Demon is taking you, one will have had a mind trip in the weirdest possible directions and a physical reaction to it that is something I rarely ever get with films. It's 100% worth the ride.

To its credit, the film deliberately avoids the horror cliches that first jump to mind, instead stretching for a unique ending you actually won't see coming.

Every frame could be plucked from the screen and placed in between the covers of a very gruesome version of Vogue. The films soundtrack composed by Cliff Martinez is spot on with the tone of the film and ranges from unsettling and scary atmospheres to full on techno.

This film is worth a watch for high-concept , art house horror fans. 8 /10

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
Darling (2016)

F.T.V. First Time View Prime Video

Director: Mickey Keating Writer: Mickey Keating Stars: Lauren Ashley Carter, (Jug-Face), Brian Morvant, Sean Young,(Dune) Larry Fessenden.

Mickey Keating's psychological horror tale Darling is a stylish piece of cinema with a spooky atmosphere. Presented in glorious, glossy black and white, the film follows a young woman (Lauren Ashley Carter) as she housesits a massive New York home where the previous tenant, also a young woman, committed suicide. Cooped up all alone, the woman begins to experience strange hallucinations that have deadly results.

Lauren Ashley Carter is a revelation. Reminiscent of a mix of Catherine Deneuve in Repulsion and Audrey Hepburn at Breakfast at Tiffany's . Darling relies heavily on Carter's ability to convey emotion through her facial features, and she excels in doing so. She tells the story through her haunting stare and methodical movements in a way that makes dialogue almost unnecessary. The manner in which her eyes bulge when certain things set her off, or the way her movements slightly change whenever situations grow more and more tense is extremely impressive.

Carter rises to new heights of performance here, carrying the story with a confidence and depth that captivates for the entire 78 minutes. The film is most certainly "art house horror", and a terrific headtrip of a flick.8/10

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
The
Turning
(2020)

Blu-Ray
First Time View
A young governess is hired by a man who has become responsible for his young nephew and niece after their parents' deaths. A modern take on Henry James' novella "The Turn of the Screw."

Director:Floria Sigismondi
Writers:Henry James (based on the novel "The Turn of the Screw" by), Chad Hayes (screenplay by)
Stars:Mackenzie Davis, Finn Wolfhard, Brooklynn Prince

This film was panned by critics severely..... I however found a lot of promise here,despite the convoluted W.T.F. ending. I enjoyed "The Turning" it isn't a complete disaster. The cinematography is really well done, there's some nice camera work here and the long, drawn out scenes with the kids to open the film does add an unsettling air of uneasiness to a lot of the artsy imagery. It's helped further by the musical score too which is fantastic, doing a wonderful job of building up to scares. One rather important beef, · bellyache, complain, · crab, · croak, · gripe, · grouse, ...

Sigismondi's version relies heavily on lazy jump scares, they are somewhat effective but this film could have risen to " horror rarefied air" if Sigismondi had chosen to communicate the fright visually with a Classically surreal style of psychological horror akin to 1961 The Innocents to deliver fright sequences . I also must be clear the film had such moody, stylish slice of old-fashioned Gothic atmospheric cinematography that ultimately it delivers despite my dislike of jump scares .

Cinematographer David Ungaro creates a terrific atmosphere in and around the stately house. From the chilly but livable grounds, there's a beautiful hedge maze that seems easy to get lost in, a stable of horses, and a koi pond . Inside, there's an indoor arboretum with headless dolls in a bird bath; a creepy sewing room, made creepier with a human-sized mannequin of an old maid; and hidden hallways. The set design and location are lavish, dripping with ambiance and production value.

The acting is first rate .Mackenzie Davis (Tully 2018) sells her performance with warmth and backbone. Davis is quite good, conveying Kate's descent into madness as her restless, nightmare-laden nights worsen and her entire demeanor gradually changes over the course of the film. She might be overwhelmed and seeing things that aren't there, but no matter the real answer, her disorienting confusion is shared by the viewer. Brooklyn Prince (2017's "The Florida Project") and Finn Wolfhard (2017's "It") are both unnerving in their own way, the former playing Flora as a playful innocent and the latter playing Miles as a disturbed adolescent, and Barbara Marten is quietly chilling as the cold Mrs. Grose.

The ending of the film . A little bit of ambiguity that leaves the audience to interpret the rest can be a pitch-perfect way to end a film. In the case of "The Turning," it doesn't end so much as stop with an abrupt shrug. Does a film live or die on an unsatisfying wrap-up, rendering everything that's good about it all for naught? To me absolutely not. "The Turning" proves that there can still be enough to like for most of its run time. See "The Turning" For its Art House sensibilities , it's excellent Acting and fabulous Cinematography. 6.5/10

🎃 October 31 days of Halloween viewing 🎃
1. Becky (2020) F.T.V. 9/10
2. Cat People (1982) F.T.V. 8/10
3. The Lodge (2019) F.T.V 9/10
4. Gretel & Hansel (2020) F.T.V. 7/10
5.Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity (1987) 9/10
6. Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death (1989) 8/10
7. The City of the Dead (1960) 8.5/10
8. The Grudge (2020) F.T.V. 6/10
9. Phase IV (1974) F.T.V. 8/10
10. The Hunt (2020) F.T.V. 9/10
11. The Blood on Satans Claw (1971) F.T.V 8/10
12. The Entity (1981) F.T.V. 9/10
13. I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997) 8/10
14. fear dot Com (2002) F.T.V. 8/10

15. The Turning (2020) F.T.V. 6.5/10

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·

Black Widow (2021)
Opening Night premier in 3D
on a 70-foot wall-to-wall screen

A film about Natasha Romanoff in her quests between the films Civil War and Infinity War.
Natasha Romanoff,( Scarlett Johansson – great as ever) aka Black Widow, confronts the darker parts of her ledger when a dangerous conspiracy with ties to her past arises. Pursued by a force that will stop at nothing to bring her down, Natasha must deal with her history as a spy, and the broken relationships left in her wake long before she became an Avenger.

To be honest I had to keep my expectations in check because I was anticipating this film for so long any film would be hard to live up to my expectations . Gladly , Black Widow was worth the wait :) A fully-fledged female-led adventure ! The film has an excellent cast of Oscar and Emmy nominated talent . Harbour (Stranger Things) and Pugh’s (Little Women), delightful turns puncture the film brilliantly. As does “mother” Melina Rachel Weisz (The Favourite) .

The film has got some incredible set-pieces an excellent cinematography. Including an impressive helicopter sequence that gets your adrenaline pumping and heart racing. The motorcycle chase scene is epic. Some of the fight scene and hand-to-hand combat are truly entertaining ! Black Widow is seriously an action-packed summer blockbuster.

Rachel Weisz delivers the most restrained performance in the film as the cold and calculating Melina. She does a great job in a role.

David Harbour nails absolutely Alexi aka Red Guardian. Harbour’s able to make the character into a goofy, likable dude.

Black Widow is Florence Pugh’s launching pad into the Marvel world, with her next appearance as Yelena set to be in the Hawkeye series. Johansson passed the baton to Pugh and the Oscar nominee proves she’s more than up to the task. Pugh’s got the most impressive deadpan delivery and even simple lines of dialogue have depth and bite. There's some really effective sisterly banter between Scarlett Johansson and Florence Pugh regarding Scarlett Johansson striking a perfect superhero-landing pose as Black Widow. It is quite charming and funny.

As good as the ensemble is ; this is Scarlett Johansson's movie and she truly delivers , big time ! Black Widow is not only Scarlett Johansson’s final outing in the MCU but also her best of the lot. We find Romanoff in unfamiliar territory, on her own and without any form of a support structure. She’s vulnerable in a way that we haven't really seen before, something Johansson portrays beautifully. Scarlett Johansson, the charismatic queen of Marvel science fiction. There's no doubt about it I'm definitely going to miss her Super Hero character.
Natasha Romanoff's last hurrah is an action-packed and emotional thrill ride from start to finish. 7.5/10

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
THE WOMEN(1939)
TCM/Blu-Ray
All-star (and all-female) cast shines in this hilarious adaptation of Clare Boothe play about divorce, cattiness, and competition in circle of "friends".

Director: George Cukor . Stars: Norma Shearer, Joan Crawford, Rosalind Russell , Ruth Hussey , Joan Fontaine , Paulette Goddard , Lucile Watson, Marjorie Main, Virginia Weidler, Phyllis Povah,Mary Boland , Mary Beth Hughes, Virginia Grey, Hedda Hopper, Butterfly McQueen.

This, by far, is the greatest classic b i t c h film of all time. It can never be equaled. The beginning credits were cleverly done with each star being represented by an animal. Norma Shearer, the doe; the delicious Joan Crawford, a tiger; Roz Russell a cat; most delectable Paulette Goddard, a fox; Marjorie Main, a mule; Joan Fontaine, a lamb.

The scenario of this film is an adaptation of a play and it is clearly visible - and this is one of the strongest points of this film, as it makes it completely focused on witty, clever, fast, brilliant and sometimes pretty cruel dialog s. This is a long film - but believe me, you will not see the time pass! All actresses perform at the top of their abilities and they are a pleasure to watch.

Norma Shearer as central character Mary gives one of the best performances of her career in what would be one of her last films. No one could have been better as her nemesis than Joan Crawford's scheming salesgirl, Crystal Allen, all venom and ice. Crawford has one of her best roles as bitchy homewrecker.

Others received enhanced careers as a result of "The Women". Rosalind Russell had mostly played bland nice girls or the other woman but here she got to show a comic persona which became her signature for years to come. Joan Fontaine is sweet and innocent (her usual film persona) and Paulette Goddard is stunning as Rosalind Russell's nemesis.

Among-st the treasures of this film are a heavy drinking scene, my favorite was the cat-fight scene with Goddard and Russell ; bath scene with Crawford, and last scene when all THE WOMEN go at it at the ball, sparks fly . It is hilarious, sweet, catty, b. i t c h y, heartfelt and one of the best acted ensemble pieces ever.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
Air Jaws: Going for Gold (2021)

Air Jaws: Going for Gold
Discovery Channel . Cable TV

• TV Special Documentary
  • What is 'Air Jaws: Going for Gold' about?
  • The Air Jaws team returns to Seal Rock to capture the highest breach ever recorded. Rocket Shark holds the record at a 15-feet.
  • It's a great white shark face off sharks are competing for the highest jump, looking at they'er speed and also the all-important hangtime to determine the winner ! It's balls-out crazy !

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
Barb and Star
Go to Vista Del Mar (2021)

Streamed on HULU
I liked so much I just purchased the Blu-ray

Lifelong friends Barb and Star embark on the adventure of a lifetime when they decide to leave their small Midwestern town for the first time - ever.
Barb & Star is a quirky, heartfelt & hilarious comedy that virtually everyone can get a kick out of. Barb and Star Go To Vista Del Mar is the new comedy film starring Kristen Wiig and Annie Mumulo. Also penned by the duo, the film follows two middle-aged golden gal's Barb & Star as they finally leave their hometown for the first time ever to embark on an adventure of a lifetime in Vista Del Mar. While there, the two get themselves in over their heads as they find themselves entangled in a villainous plot to wipe out the city.
The plot manages to make some sense despite being wildly absurd, but mostly you're watching because Barb and Star are just so **** charming. Mumolo and Wiig still got it going on. For starters, Barb & Star are two of the funniest characters in my recent comedy that I can remember . Their snicker-doodle baking personas are absolutely hilarious. Kristen & Annie crush it with their performance of the two leads. There's something so unique about the duo's chemistry & style that you simply can't help but applaud at how committed they are to these roles. Although Barb and Star are caricatures, they're made up of so many clever little details you won't fail to find something familiar about them. They're over the top but never annoying and never too much. Jamie Dornan as love interest Edgar, Dornan is loose and game to go for it; he's an untapped talent for comedy.

The film also looks so **** beautiful. The cinematography is absolutely stunning thanks to its gorgeous color choices and setting. Everything feels vibrant, from the backdrops of Vista Del Mar all the way to the costumes, set pieces, and location.

There's a lot of gags about moderately aged American ladies, despite the overwhelming wackiness on display, at no point does it ever feel mean-spirited. "Barb & Star Go to Vista Del Mar"is like watching a cult film being born. Barb and Star Go To Vista Del Mar is un-apologetically and exuberantly silly, fully committed to the twin performances by hilarious comediennes Mumolo and Wiig, a very fun and extremely unique comedy ! 8/10

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn are two of greatest performers of all time. Bogart has proved his success with such roles as Rick Blaine in Casablanca and Samuel Spade in The Maltese Falcon. Hepburn has shown us her talents with The Philadelphia Story and Bringing Up Baby. Did they ever happen to make a movie together? Yes, they did. Was it any good? You bet your ***!

The African Queen is a rousing tale of adventure and romance with two unlikely companions. Bogie plays a steamboat captain who agrees to take Robert Morley's sister, The Great Kate, back to civilization during the onset of World War I. In the process, they must fight for survival along treacherous waters.

The gin-guzzling riverboat captain is a great counter to the strait-laced missionary and the two stars make this a ride to remember. Besides the performances, the script probably shines the most. James Agee and John Huston, who also directed, have a great knack for writing crisp and smooth interplay between the two leads.

There aren't very many supporting roles in this movie, but Robert Morley makes the best of his small performance. He's actually quite memorable and he hearkens back to supporting players of older Bogart movies like Sidney Greenstreet.

Both leads received well deserved Oscar nominations and Humphrey Bogart finally won his big award. That should tell you that I'm not the only one who thought this movie was excellent. If you like stirring action with great chemistry from the stars, then you'll love The African Queen. A film that can be watched again and again for its lighthearted characters, abundant humor, and magical chemistry.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
The African Queen
70th Anniversary presented by TCM

If you like stirring action with great chemistry from the stars, then you'll love The African Queen. A film that can be watched again and again for its lighthearted characters, abundant humor, and magical chemistry.

This was a sleeper hit for me personally ! I neglected to see this Bogie film for years as it did not interest me.....So I thought . Boy was I mistaken . I was not expecting to have much of a reaction to this particular performance, but was surprised to have liked it as much as I did. I doubt that Bogie came into this picture gunning for an Academy Award, the performance doesn't take itself very seriously. However ,Bogie was especially impressive because it was quite a departure for him. We know Bogie can do stern preeminent motion picture “tough guy” with a touch of vulnerability . And after watching him brood and grimace his way through the likes of Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, it almost comes as a shock to witness Bogie so naturally comedic here.He is truly funny. Who'd a thunk? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised though because of his work in films like the Barefoot Contessa or Bogies performance in “In a Lonely Place”. Was Humphrey Bogart’s performance in the African Queen (where he won the Oscar for best Actor) his best work? It's all subjective of course. It’s certainly his most-honored work. Katharine Hepburn also matched Bogie line for line ,step-for-step. The Great Kate was tremendous. Either way The African Queen is a rollicking odd-ball adventure and I am so glad I went to see it multiple times :)

Okay everybody that's a wrap !
I'll see everyone after the Olympic Games.
Go Team USA and Go Team World !!!

201 - 217 of 217 Posts