221 - 240 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·

Summer with Monica (1953)
Sommaren med Monika (1953)
Criterion Blu-ray
A pair of teenagers meet one summer day, start a reckless affair and abandon their families to be with one another.
Bergman's tale of heedless teenage love is a sort of neorealism (a movement in film making characterized by the simple direct depiction of lower-class life.) Rebel Without a Cause -- except that sex is acknowledged and the rebel is a girl.

Summer with Monika has a classic art film story behind it. Bergman came up with the idea quickly, having gotten some money, and he just took his few actors and crew on a summer vacation with very little planning involved. What results is a simple story, but one that is very mature and emotionally complex.

Disillusioned young city-dweller Harry (Lars Ekborg) is frustrated with his societal responsibilities and his menial job, but when he meets sultry beauty Monika (Harriet Andersson), and she takes an interest in him, life takes on new meaning. Inflamed with passion, the lovers steal Harry's father's boat and give up their banal city life for an erotic summer spent on an island. There, Monika teaches Harry to give up his inhibitions, and all is good -- until Monika's true nature is revealed.

What makes this film a masterpiece is the third act. Teenage love is often so idealized by artists, born from an air of unrealistic sense of nostalgia. Maybe Ingmar Bergman was too much of a pessimist for his characters to find never-ending happiness by the time the film fades out.

Bergman's key international breakthrough.

Very nice cinematography

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
Artistic swimming
Olympic Games Tokyo 2020

There is a plethora of interesting sport disciplines that you can only see in the Olympic games !
Medals

Sports Results
Spoiler

Countries

Events

1. No code has to be inserted here.
  1. No code has to be inserted here.

The Russians routine they spent over a minute 30 seconds underwater holding their breath

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
Wrong Turn (2003)
FTV Blu-Ray 7.8/10

Director: Rob Schmidt
Writer: Alan B. McElroy
Stars: Eliza Dushku, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Desmond Harrington
THE HILL HAS EYES meets DELIVERANCE ???

A group of people get lost in the middle of nowhere and fall prey to a family of inbred cannibals (the awesomely named Three-Finger, Saw-Tooth, and One-Eye) cannibalistic mountain men grossly disfigured through generations of in-breeding. Sure, it's formulaic, but "Wrong Turn" offers a straightforward story and the decent amount of gore. Personally I would have like to see the "gore" and "violence" taken up a notch or two. I definitely appreciated Eliza Dushku painted on jeans..... So there's that !! I watched the special features and I enjoyed the segment were Eliza Dushku talked about learning and doing her own "stunts". Yup, Wrong Turn is chock full of some of my favorite horror movie tropes. I got what I paid for and appreciate the film; it simply is what it is and it doesn't try to be anything else. Long, live, Eliza Dushku "Babe in the woods....

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
Wrong Turn 3: Left for Dead (2009)
FTV Blu-Ray 6/10

A bus full of convicts and police taking a shortcut through the West Virginia mountains when they're ran off the road. The cons take control of the situation and they head off in the woods but it doesn't take long before a mutant ******* shows up to take them out.
Yup it's just as incredibly bad as everyone says it is but where I seem to differ is that's exactly why I kinda liked it. It's absolute disregard for any kind of professionalism on every level gives it a special so-bad-it's-good charm. Questionable acting, unrealistic dialogue, cheap CG, uneven gore--it's all here and more.....Just plain grisly.

I Spit on Your Grave (1978) 8/10
Escape Room (2019) 8/10
Wrong Turn (2003) 7.5/10
Wrong Turn 3: Left for Dead (2009) 6.5/10

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
Wrong Turn 4: Bloody Beginnings (2011)

F.T.V. Blu-Ray

Follows a group of friends that decide to go snowmobiling during their winter break. They make a "wrong turn", getting lost in a storm.
Quintessential viewing for gorehound's. Beyond the genuinely impressive opening sequence, there's all sorts of barbed wire inspired sadism. The gore scenes are particularly well done. Old school Practical effects with real blood work and real prosthetics.
I watched the special features. 'Making Another Wrong Turn'.
I have to add that writer and director Declan O'Brien found the most epic location to film "Wrong Turn 4" . Filmed at the abandoned ( Brandon Asylum for the Insane) "I am not making this up".... in Brandon, Manitoba ,Canadian province. No regrets watching this awesome trashy horror movie. 6.5/10

Darling (2016)

F.T.V. Prime Video

Director: Mickey Keating Writer: Mickey Keating Stars: Lauren Ashley Carter, (Jug-Face), Brian Morvant, Sean Young,(Dune) Larry Fessenden.

Mickey Keating's psychological horror tale Darling is a stylish piece of cinema with a spooky atmosphere. Presented in glorious, glossy black and white, the film follows a young woman (Lauren Ashley Carter) as she housesits a massive New York home where the previous tenant, also a young woman, committed suicide. Cooped up all alone, the woman begins to experience strange hallucinations that have deadly results.

Lauren Ashley Carter is a revelation. Reminiscent of a mix of Catherine Deneuve in Repulsion and Audrey Hepburn at Breakfast at Tiffany's . Darling relies heavily on Carter's ability to convey emotion through her facial features, and she excels in doing so. She tells the story through her haunting stare and methodical movements in a way that makes dialogue almost unnecessary. The manner in which her eyes bulge when certain things set her off, or the way her movements slightly change whenever situations grow more and more tense is extremely impressive.

Carter rises to new heights of performance here, carrying the story with a confidence and depth that captivates for the entire 78 minutes. The film is most certainly "art house horror", and a terrific headtrip of a flick.8/10

I Spit on Your Grave (1978) 8/10
Escape Room (2019) 8/10
Wrong Turn (2003) 7.8/10
Wrong Turn 3: Left for Dead (2009) 6/10
Frogs (1972) 7.5/10
Shakma (1990) 6.5/10
Midsommar (2019) 8.5/10
The Valley of Gwangi (1969) 8/10
Gorgo (1961) 7.5/10
Wrong Turn 4: Bloody Beginnings (2011) 6.5/10
Darling (2016) 8/10

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 · (Edited)

Summer Interlude (1951)
Sommarlek (1951)
Bergman's trademarked brooding is softened with a surprising hopefulness.

A lonely woman recalls her first love thirteen years prior during a brief summer vacation.
Director Ingmar Bergman
Writers Ingmar Bergman Herbert Grevenius
Stars: Maj-Britt Nilsson Birger Malmsten Alf Kjellin
Ballerina Marie (Maj-Britt Nilsson), spending the summer with her unsettling Uncle Erland (Georg Funkquist) at his quiet island home near Stockholm, meets the kindhearted Henrik (Birger Malmsten) and falls into a carefree summer romance with him that ends suddenly and tragically. Years later, after rediscovering her old diary from that fateful summer, melancholy Marie returns to her uncle's home in an attempt to quiet the demons that have haunted her ever since. All strung together in a flash-back story that gives meaning to an empty life.

A beautiful setting really sets the mood of the film and the landscapes and cinematography are so beautiful. The film is classic Bergman, full of depressing and bleak visuals and messages however Bergman's trademarked brooding is tinged with a surprising hopefulness.

His first film built around a strong, assertive, sure woman showcased by the lovely (Maj-Britt Nilsson). She did not act in many films despite being very talented actress. Rare indeed to spot a dark-haired Swede on film but the delicately beautiful Maj-Britt Nilsson was certainly one of the finest , she went on to captivate film audiences in the bleak films of Ingmar Bergman.

The film is beautifully photographed by Gunnar Fischer who effectively captures the serene beauty of the island and through a series of wonderful close-ups of Marie's( lovely Maj-Britt Nilsson) face allows the viewer to understand the feelings and emotions she struggles with.

Touching on many of the themes that would define the rest of his career-isolation, performance, the inseparability of the past Ingmar Bergman's tenth film was a gentle drift toward true mastery. Great cinema !

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·

Psycho (1960)
Blu-ray
Timeless Chills
The concept, based on the 1959 novel by Robert Bloch, is elemental. A woman flees a bad decision, and lands in the lair of a predator who is falling deep into his own psychosis. By the time he made PSYCHO, Hitchcock had directed dozens of films. He was acknowledged as the Master of Suspense, with the capital letters in that honorary title always implied in conversation. Hitchcock knew exactly how to construct a scene to evoke and exploit specific feelings. His style on PSYCHO was brisk and economical, and could be exceptionally brutal.
Nowhere is that more apparent than in the murder of Marian Crane, played by the film’s lone marquee movie star, Janet Leigh. No one going into PSYCHO expected Leigh’s character to be killed off halfway through the movie, much less for it to happen in a dramatic and shattering sequence. The screeching strings and deep notes of the score by composer Bernard Herman turned the shower scene into a grueling horror showcase and sealed the movie’s first major murder as a cinematic all-timer. The scene is created with such great skill that it has power even today, even after being endlessly homaged, parodied, replicated and ripped off. The shower scene lasts all of three minutes, but that 180 seconds echoes through decades of cinema.

All Stripped Down
PSYCHO is entrenched as part of movie culture now, but its future was far from certain in 1960. Maybe you think of PSYCHO as an “old movie” (it is!), which makes its black and white aesthetic seem entirely appropriate. At the time, however, color was the norm for movies, especially for big pictures like those made by Alfred Hitchcock. His last movie before PSYCHO was NORTH BY NORTHWEST, a splashy caper starring Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint. A hard-edged black and white thriller was an abrupt deviation from expectations.

Paramount didn’t want to make PSYCHO, so Hitchcock paid for it himself and produced it on the cheap. That meant using his “Alfred Hitchcock Presents” production crew. Another money saving measure was the use of black and white film. All in all, PSYCHO cost under a million bucks; it was a fast, no-frills affair.

A useful side benefit of shooting in black and white was that it helped hide some of the movie’s gore. In 1960, Hollywood studios were still loosely bound by the fast-withering constraints of the production code. For decades, the production code had specified content seen as inappropriate for Hollywood movies. Explicit sex and violence were forbidden, and even implied content was strictly controlled. But the production code was on the way to obsolescence, and PSYCHO — which became a hit in part because of its shocking content — helped usher it out the door. No one had ever seen a movie like PSYCHO from Alford Hitchcock, or from any other major filmmaker working with an American studio.

No Spoilers… or Else!
Movie audiences now are averse to spoilers in a way that is fairly different from the norm in 1960, when it wasn’t uncommon for ticket-buyers to walk into a movie at any point during the running time, then sit through a program of a feature or two and multiple shorts. Hitchcock‘s well-documented flair for publicity, combined with exceptional word-of-mouth, helped turn PSYCHO into a bona fide hit.

As specified by the director, PSYCHO was promoted with a forbidding warning: No one would be admitted to the theatre after the movie began. Rather than turning audiences off from the movie, that stipulation created interest, and lines, and an ever-expanding audience.

A Horrific Legacy
PSYCHO led to sequels (two of which are surprisingly good), an eyebrow-raising shot-for-shot remake by Gus Van Sant (which is an oddly compelling experiment) and a five-season television prequel series, "Bates Motel." Those are just the direct descendents of the movie; the entire slasher genre owes a debt to Hitchcock, just as horror movies in general enjoy a popularity that might not be quite the same without this benchmark-setting shocker.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·

The
Dark Crystal

(1982)
4K /Blu-ray Combo
Mastered in real 4K (native 2160p) 4K-DI HDR: HDR10
Magnificent High fantasy , epic in nature of its setting; stature of its characters, themes, lore, & story.

This movie is legendary. absolutely a cult classic . The mere fact that Jim Henson created this entirely with puppets is ground breaking. He spent countless hours with his team to create the puppets, voice them, and act with them. That alone is reason enough to watch this masterpiece. Also, the intricate history behind the characters and landscape is amazing. Henson and his associates took so much time to create this movie (5 years) It was a true labor of love. 10/10

Jim Henson, Stephen Garlick, Lisa Maxwell, and Kathryn Mullen in The Dark Crystal (1982)

Frank Oz and Barry Dennen in The Dark Crystal (1982)

Frank Oz and Billie Whitelaw in The Dark Crystal (1982)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
Jungle Cruise (2021)

Some of the best post-production 3D I have seen in along time.
Sincerely hope this gets a 3D blu-ray release.

This film was a total visual smorgasbord, highly entertaining .Funny, full of action, and an all-around good time :)
Spoiler

Join fan favorites Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt for the adventure of a lifetime on Disney's JUNGLE CRUISE, a rollicking thrill-ride down the Amazon with wisecracking skipper Frank Wolff and intrepid researcher Dr. Lily Houghton. Lily travels from London, England to the Amazon jungle and enlists Frank's questionable services to guide her downriver on La Quila--his ramshackle-but-charming boat. Lily is determined to uncover an ancient tree with unparalleled healing abilities--possessing the power to change the future of medicine. Thrust on this epic quest together, the unlikely duo encounters innumerable dangers and supernatural forces, all lurking in the deceptive beauty of the lush rainforest. But as the secrets of the lost tree unfold, the stakes reach even higher for Lily and Frank and their fate--and mankind's--hangs in the balance.
Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt in Jungle Cruise (2021)

Bottom line is this film may have some issues with its dialog. It does. But the set pieces , musical score , over the top FX visuals , first rate action sequences and the star power of "The Rock" along side Emily Blunt trump any of the writings short comings. Disney has put together a fantastic period piece Summer Blockbuster with its Jungle Cruise chocked full of tasty adventure tropes (arcane curses, snakes, evil Germans). Indiana Jones meets Lara Croft with a little The African Queen thrown in for good measure ! That is a winning formula in my book.

This film is just pure fantasy wonderful escapism entertainment! Isn't that what we go to the movies for? :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·

A Hard Day's Night (1964)
(Criterion Collection) (Blu-ray + DVD)

A day and a half in the life of the Fab Four leading up to a televised concert gig. The boys seem to be constantly on the run, from their crazed fans and from their manager, who is constantly trying to rein them in. Sir Ringo Starr however is arrested and still isn't in the studio half an hour before air time. With Sir Paul McCartney's grandfather available for additional comical relief, the group performs a dozen or so songs.
Wilfrid Brambell in A Hard Day's Night (1964)

My second album purchased in 1972 at the age of 8 years old.
"The Citizen Kane of jukebox musicals," The film surprised critics and film-goers alike. Previous rock-and-roll movies had been little more than showcases for the latest music, aimed at exploiting the youth market, cheaply made and melodramatic. Then along came A Hard Day's Night, one of the most finely crafted films ever made about rock-and-roll.

Despite the seeming spontaneity of A Hard Day's Night, just two scenes-John in the bath) and the press conference -were improvised. The film's realism was a masterpiece of cinematic illusion, natural lighting, and tight cutting.

Helping spread the "Beatlemania" that raged worldwide in the mid-1960s was A Hard Day's Night (1964), a semi-documentary comedy about 36 hectic hours in the life of the Beatles -- George Harrison, John Lennon, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr. This was the British pop group's first film; many still consider it the best.

Director Richard Lester later acknowledged that A Hard Day's Night was put together quickly because it was thought The Beatles might be a passing vogue with little staying power. The movie was made in six and a half weeks, on a budget of only $500,000, and aimed primarily at English audiences. Premiering in theaters only three months after shooting began, the film became an international sensation and an instant classic.
"A Hard Day's Night" was written by Lennon, with McCartney's help. The songs include "I Should Have Known Better," "I Wanna Be Your Man," "Don't Bother Me," "All My Loving," "If I Fell," "Can't Buy Me Love," "And I Love Her," "I'm Happy Just to Dance With You," "This Boy (Ringo's Theme)," "Tell Me Why," "She Loves You" and the title song.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·

Director: John BoormanWriters: Alexander Jacobs (screenplay), David Newhouse (screenplay) Stars: Lee Marvin, Angie Dickinson, John Vernon, Sharon Acker ,Keenan Wynn

The term Neo-noir” has been defined as a style in which more contemporary directors knowingly reflect the noir style of the 1940s and ’50s. The newer films are often shot in color as opposed to the glittering black-and-white of the classic era. But these newer films often retain the unusual angles, provocative use of light and shadow and, above all, a prevailing mood of anxiety and alienation. What is clear about Neo noir is doing it in a freer and more open way without the constraints that were placed on the filmmakers of the 40's and 50's. Point blank is a great example of an early Neo noir paying homage to the earlier films of the filmmakers back in the classic era.
Lee Marvin is a "tough guy" legend
Point Blank was the first production to film on Alcatraz after the federal prison was closed down in 1963. The film opens with a heist of an illicit cash transfer at the abandoned prison on behalf of "the Organization". The heist is engineered by Mal Reese (John Vernon, later famous as Dean Wormer in Animal House), because he needs money to discharge a debt to the very Organization from which he is stealing. For backup, Reese enlists his friend, Walker (Marvin), who has no first name, and Walker's wife, Lynne (Sharon Acker). But Reese shoots Walker, takes both his share and his wife, and leaves him for dead.

Angie Dickinson and John Vernon in Point Blank (1967)

Lee Marvin brought Point Blank to Boorman because he wanted to play Walker, and they worked together on developing both the character and his story, but it was Marvin who bucked the usual tendency of actors to expand their parts and instead cut many of Walker's lines, making him a perpetual cipher.

Marvin plays the role almost without saying a word, often conducting entire conversations with mere looks whilst the likes of John Vernon and ever-so-lovely Angie Dickinson scramble around him. Boorman's Hollywood debut is a daring feature; an at times dream-like thriller - interrupted by flashbacks to the past - increasing the story's dramatic tension and deepen a character's development.Great revenge crime thriller. As brutal and relentless as its protagonist. Many consider it to be Lee Marvin's finest work, and it's certainly up there.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
The Night House (2020)
Cinema Showing
before it into fades into obscurity.

I really hope this get a Blu-ray release .

Rebecca Hall mesmerizes in a chilling horror outing.
Director
David Bruckner
I found out about this film through its movie poster mini-billboard that was on display in the movie house I frequent . I took a photo of movie poster many months before the film was released in May 2021. The aesthetics of the art work immediately drew me to anticipate this art-house horror. I was not disappointing !

Rebecca Hall is tremendous in David Bruckner's tense, twisty , cerebral , thought-provoking psychological horror thriller. In The Night House, her impassioned dedication to her craft is on full display. The script affords Rebecca a rich and resonant role, and Hall takes full advantage of this opportunity, delivering what very well may be one of the most memorable female performances in recent horror history. Yes she is that good. I will be seeking out every role she has done.
The film follows Beth (Hall), a teacher who was recently widowed after her husband Owen (Evan Jonigkeit) died by suicide. Although sudden solitude can bring about nightmares and uneasiness in its own right, Beth, who suffered with her own crippling depression when her husband was still alive, is convinced that her terrifying dreams and the strange sounds that she hears during her waking hours are not simply due to imagination. As she sifts through her deceased loved one's possessions and discovers clues about his possible secret life, she realizes that there is something more than grief waiting for her in the mysterious illusions that lie around every corner of the home.
The new horror movie The Night House is an unsettling blend of ghost story and psychological terror - the kind of film that leaves audiences wondering what the ending really means. While some jumps are featured here and there ,and are usually effective in their own right ; most of The Night House is designed to unsettle and disturb. The cinematography lends it self to the brooding and malevolent atmosphere splendidly .

At the helm by future (Hellraiser) reboot director David Bruckner, is definitely much more in line with a horror movie taking a more cerebral approach, building its scares up slowly, and going for creeping out the viewer over startling them. I think Bruckner is a promising up and comer.

The filmmaker puts a formidable visual game of mirrors into practice, which fits beautifully with the story's unsettling conclusion. Enhanced by Rebecca Hall's gripping central performance, The Night House offers atmospheric horror that engages intellectually as well as emotionally. First class horror cinema . 8.5 /10

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
Shang-Chi, the master of unarmed weaponry-based Kung Fu, is forced to confront his past after being drawn into the Ten Rings organization.
Bringing martial arts into this franchise is well.... a breath of fresh air from Marvel. The fight scene choreography really paid homage to Bruce Lee's films and Kung Fu series . Showcasing a series of excellent action sequences.

There are some very intelligent minds be hide this origin story fantasy sci-fi feature. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is one of the best MCU films. Pro-tip, at some point in your lives seek this gem out ! This is going to be very solid UHD HDR blu-ray and the 3D is very impressive albeit some minor cross-talk but forgivable as there are some very intricate set pieces for the left and right eye to navigate via the post conversion 3D. Very well done over all.
The visuals were absolutely stunning, comedic relief was always on point, fight sequences were sleek yet powerful. The story arch is well paced and unfolds gradually so one can get emotionally involved with the films characters , the acting is superb on all fronts from the films talented ensemble . The directing and pacing is spot on.
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Tens Rings is easily at the top of the origin films that this franchise has given us and one of my favorite entries as a whole.You'll leave the theater satisfied.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·

SHAME
Skammen (1968)
In the midst of a civil war, former violinists Jan and Eva Rosenberg, who have a tempestuous marriage, run a farm on a rural island. In spite of their best efforts to escape their homeland, the war impinges on every aspect of their lives.
  • Director
  • Writer
  • Stars
    Ullmann and Von Sydow play a married couple, living, mostly in isolation, on an island. Their country ends up caught up in a war, but it is not a war that they have any interest in or take any particular side in. But, eventually, their isolation fails them. The war comes to them. They find themselves brutalized by both sides - they are interviewed on television about attacks and their interviews are heavily edited and taken out of context. A man they believed was their friend shows up and forces brutal stark realities upon them. They eventually escape the island, but their relationship has been shattered, they are barely surviving and this is anything but a happy ending. Through the course of the film, they experience a role reversal--one has the strength of survival and the other is reduced to emotional escapism through dreams. Both will lose a measure of humanity, but one to a greater degree than the other.​

• Shame was championed by critics, named Best Picture by the National Society of Film Critics, also winning Best Director and Best Actress as well as Best Actress from the National Board of Review. Golden Globes, USA 1969 Best Foreign-Language Foreign Film
    Sweden nominee. Kansas City Film Critics Circle Awards 1969 Winner Best Foreign film.

Liv Ullmann in Skammen (1968)

Von Sydow had been a star in Bergman's troupe for a decade before Ullmann came along and she would continue for years after he went to America, but here they play a married couple as naturally as if they were married. Perhaps that is part of the power of being in Bergman's regular troupe of actors - he writes roles so perfect and the actors know each other so well that it is easy for them to slip into the roles. That is the mark of a master and this is a classic from that master that really doesn't deserved to be missed.

The magnificent Max Von Sydow and Liv Ullmann in Ingmar Bergman's Shame (1968)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
The Suicide Squad (2021)
Cinema showing

Supervillains Harley Quinn, Bloodsport, Peacemaker and a collection of nutty cons at Belle Reve prison join the super-secret, super-shady Task Force X as they are dropped off at the remote, enemy-infused island of Corto Maltese.

This film has a lot of balls. I can see people thinking this one is far too weird and bizarre . But for me that what makes this film so brilliant ; raw-- politically incorrect -- uber violent. The shock factor alone sold me from the very beginning. Absolutely an eccentric ride envisioned by writer-director James Gunn's singularly skewed vision, The Suicide Squad marks a funny, fast-paced rebound that plays to the source material's violent, anarchic strengths.

Welcome to hell--a.k.a. Belle Reve, the prison with the highest mortality rate in the US of A. Where the worst Super-Villains are kept and where they will do anything to get out--even join the super-secret, super-shady Task Force X. Today's do-or-die assignment? Assemble a collection of cons, including Bloodsport, Peacemaker, Captain Boomerang, Ratcatcher 2, Savant, King Shark, Blackguard, Javelin and everyone's favorite psycho, Harley Quinn. Then arm them heavily and drop them (literally) on the remote, enemy-infused island of Corto Maltese. Trekking through a jungle teeming with militant adversaries and guerrilla forces at every turn, the Squad is on a search-and-destroy mission with only Colonel Rick Flag on the ground to make them behave...and Amanda Waller's government techies in their ears, tracking their every movement. And as always, one wrong move and they're dead (whether at the hands of their opponents, a teammate, or Waller herself). If anyone's laying down bets, the smart money is against them--all of them.
'The Suicide Squad' represents the very best that DC films can be, taking the kind of risks that you wouldn't see in a Marvel property.

Its has dark wit , ultra violence and refusing to apologize for it . Those who dig its bat-s h i t crazy tone will have a lot of fun watching this crazy, chaotic -- and unexpectedly good -- flick.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
Candyman (2021)
Cinema late night
with all the crazies
A sequel to the horror film Candyman (1992) that returns to the now-gentrified Chicago neighborhood where the legend began.

Jordan Peele's reboot of the (Definitive 1992 movie starring Virginia Madsen , Tony Todd and Vanessa Williams ) is a social commentary about the criminal justice system, racism and gentrification. The more the plot reveals about the origin of the Candyman, the more its frights lessen. The racial justice theme is to heavy handed. "Candyman" is a racial justice movie. The connections to today's happenings are not bad but producers appear more adamant about its social justice themes than a campaign to scare their audiences. The racial theme is important to the original legend of Candyman and the origin of the myth and his Legend as Candyman as he once was a human being name Daniel Robitite . Cowriter Jordan Peele just perseverates on the racial aspects of the myth rehashes the thought, after the stimulus that prompted it has ceased. It was a bit much.

Here is my conundrum or better my contradiction . Even as I would have preferred a lighter take with the writing regarding the social commentary -- the film-making was first rate. Smart film-making from the director Nia DaCosta. She has obvious knack for the horror genre.... for Candyman is savvy with haunting imagery ,through old-fashioned shadow puppets, eye-popping gore , and thought-provoking cinematography .

This is a film that I will enjoy the second viewing more as I have come to terms of social commentary that Jordan Peele was trying to convey .The racially charged reasoning for the antagonist for his being now, many decades beyond his death. The balance of Peele's clearly frustrated feelings could have been more evenly balanced in this horror movie . Peele is still extremely talented writer . I have put my big-boy pants on and do appreciate his work . I have a strong affinity for "The Forbidden" from his collection The Books of Blood by Clive Barker and director Bernard Rose original 1992 definitive version of Candyman that it took a while to come around to Pelee's vision and it is a strong horror film in its our rite .

The cast give fine performances, with Abdul-Mateen standing out in an often difficult role, he is superb here. Candyman does unleash the gory carnage. And even with the politically charged ending the climax works extremely well .

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
Madison is paralyzed by shocking visions of grisly murders, and her torment worsens as she discovers that these waking dreams are in fact terrifying realities.

Malignant is beyond ridiculous but wow, did James Wan make this film work. Unapologetically gory , goofy and over-the-top uber violent ride.

Do you like the American alternative rock band the Pixies ! Check. Where Is My Mind ? " I have no idea. I lost it in the movie theater during the big reveal" in James Wan's horror film Malignant ; "I lost my mind laughing out loud , I'm sure I freaked out the locals at the movie theater" .

Do you want a gorgeous lead that looks like the beautiful Audrey Hepburn ! Check. (Annabelle Wallis) is talented , dramatic and gorgeous is the ensemble’s greatest strength. She is tremendous. Do you enjoy elements of b a t - s h i t crazy horror in your procedural dramas ! Check . What about fabulous haunted 1890's Victorian homes for some creepy atmosphere ? Yes there is that too ! Genetically messed up psychopaths? Check ! Mind distorting choreographed surreal ninja fight scenes ! Well sure why not ? This movie has a lot going for it. Stylistic James Wan cinematography from an aerial perspective giving the movie a unique feel.
Malignant is a fantastic reminder of James Wan sensibilities from hard core visceral gore-heavy films like Saw or Supernatural surreal horror of The Conjuring. He's a talented director/producer who doesn't want to be put in a pigeonhole. And it shows in his new film he pulls out all the stops with the narrative that is frighteningly freaky as it is unintentionally funny "wink,wink" and basically gloriously messed - up. Wan's new horror film is totally bonkers and it is brilliant. One of the most entertaining horror movies of 2021. It is just not normal in any way and I really embrace its weirdness . 8/10

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
Orphan (2009)
Blu-ray

Director:Jaume Collet-Serra
Writers:David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (screenplay) (as David Leslie Johnson), Alex Mace (story)
Stars:Vera Farmiga, Peter Sarsgaard, Isabelle Fuhrman as Esther

A husband and wife who recently lost their baby adopt Esther a 9-year-old Russian orphan girl who seem to be the perfect child at first glance. Esther is not nearly as innocent as she claims to be.

Once in awhile a film will come out that tries to be different and put out an original story. Spanish director Jaume Collet-Serra has done just that with feature film Orphan. While this sub-genre of horror usually means some sort of demonic-possession or some sort of mental or genetic abnormality causing for their psychotic or sociopath behavior, in Orphan an interesting reason was given to the nature of it's titular character.
12-year-old Isabelle Fuhrmann (in 2009) does an excellent job portraying the sociopath and manipulative Esther. It is difficult to believe that a child actor of her age able to tackle such a dark role and actually pull it off without making the character too over-the-top or campy. In fact, no matter how one thinks of the performances of the rest of the film's cast (Very attractive Vera Farmiga is particularly convincing as Kate, a caring mother and loving wife with evident depth with Sarsgaard turning in an above average performance as the hapless and clueless husband) this film is totally Isabelle Fuhrmann's and she sticks the landing. Soviet gymnast Olga Korbut would have approved of Furmann's form :) .

Orphan tackles some complex issues that add depth. The film builds great suspense with some eye-opening disturbing violence consisting of successful and attempted murders, while others are injured and self-mutilation occurs. Various scenes of that have bloody results. Orphan is the Real McCoy for horror-hound.

Well made, well Acted, surprisingly great horror-thriller! Orphan is a cut above most spooky-kid movies, with a twist that sets it apart. 8/10

🎃 October 31 days of Halloween viewing 2020 🎃
1. Becky (2020) F.T.V. 9/10
2. Cat People (1982) F.T.V. 8/10
3. The Lodge (2019) F.T.V 9/10
4. Gretel & Hansel (2020) F.T.V. 7/10
5.Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity (1987) 9/10
6. Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death (1989) 8/10
7. The City of the Dead (1960) 8.5/10
8. The Grudge (2020) F.T.V. 6/10
9. Phase IV (1974) F.T.V. 8/10
10. The Hunt (2020) F.T.V. 9/10
11. The Blood on Satans Claw (1971) F.T.V 8/10
12. The Entity (1981) F.T.V. 9/10
13. I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997) 8/10
14. fear dot Com (2002) F.T.V. 8/10
15. The Turning (2020) F.T.V. 7/10
16. Earth vs. The Flying Saucers (1956) F.T.V 8/10
17. Proxy (2013) F.T.V. 9/10
18. The Bad Seed (1956) F.T.V. 7/10
19. Laviathan (1989) 9/10
20. The Abyss (1989) 8/10
21. DeepStar Six (1989) 8/10
22. Deep Rising (1998) 8/10
23. The Uninvited (1944) 8/10
24. Snatchers (2019) F.T.V. 7/10
25. Gremlins (1984) 10/10
26. Horror of Dracula (1958) 8/10
27. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) Live Cinema Showing 10/10
28. Night of the Lepus (1972) 8/10
29. The First Power F.T.V. (1990) 8/10
30. Nightbreed (1990) 8/10
31. IT Came from Beneath the Sea (1955) 8.5 /10
32. Cursed (2005) 8.5/10
33. Orphan (2009) 8/10

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
[/TD]

[TD]444
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Arrow | 1990 | 85 min | Rated BBFC: 15 | Jan 02, 2012

This movie is a cautionary tale about the dangers of pushing the boundaries of science too far. This film is included in several best schlock films ever made. Should be some grade A TRASH horror.

SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED

Finding a girl when you re a nerdy science geek can be hard. But what happens if that special someone dies in a bizarre gardening accident and it s all your fault?

Meet Jeffrey Franken. He s just killed the love of his life and now he s going to rebuild her... From the body parts of the dead streetwalkers who exploded when he introduced them to a lethal new drug Supercrack! Little does he know that a good recipe requires the correct ingredients. Jeffrey isn t putting his life back together; he s building... a FRANKENHOOKER!

From the twisted imagination of Frank Henenlotter (Basketcase) and starring James Lorinz (Street Trash), comes a movie that pays a loving tribute to the worst excesses of the American Grindhouse.

SPECIAL FEATURES:

• High Definition Blu-ray presentation of the film
  • Original Uncompressed LPCM Mono Audio
  • UK exclusive audio commentary with director Frank Henenlotter and star James Lorinz
  • UK exclusive introduction to the film by actor James Lorinz
  • Your Date s on a Plate: The Making of Frankenhooker: UK exclusive making of documentary featuring director Frank Henenlotter, star James Lorinz and special effects artist Gabe Bartalos
  • A personal UK exclusive tour of the Gabe Bartalos effects lab in Los Angeles, California
  • A Salad That Was Once Named Elizabeth: Patty Mullen Remembers Frankenhooker
  • A Stitch In Time: The Make-Up Effects Of Frankenhooker
  • Turning Tricks: Jennifer Delora Remembers Frankenhooker
  • Original theatrical trailer
  • Frank Henenlotter Trailer Reel
  • Reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphries
  • Collector s booklet featuring brand new writing on the film by Calum Waddell

• Review

The Guardian
    Best label 2011
    Arrow

"It's often the smaller-funded labels that do the best work. Arrow has released marvellous discs of many of cinema's classics, such as Bicycle Thieves, Rififi and Les Diaboliques, but it's for their horror releases that they truly excel. The more respectable directors like George A Romero and Dario Argento get their due here, but Arrow also pull out all the stops for such (unfairly) lesser regarded Gore-teurs as Lucio Fulci and Frank Henenlotter. Blu-rays of Fulci classics The Beyond and City Of The Living Dead show that the films are far more atmospheric and better made than they ever appeared before, and for Henenlotter (with the imminent Frankenhooker disc) you get extensive extras that cover the rarely examined scene of low-budget New York film-makers and the lost grindhouses of Times Square and 42nd Street."
    --The Guardian

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 ·
Nightbreed (1990)
Shout!The Director's Cut : Blu-ray

"I have seen the future of horror, and his name is Clive Barker" - Stephen King

Clive Barker has gone on record as saying that he felt that distributor Fox and financiers Morgan Creek Productions never understood the film and simply cut the story to pieces omitting most of the more graphic violence so it would fit what their idea of the picture should have been.

Shout, with Warner Home Video, were able to locate the original film elements in the Warner archives to newly restore the sequences. Barker stated, "when Scream Factory told me that they found the Nightbreed film footage, I was gob-smacked! This is the ultimate validation of choices made by myself and Mark Miller all the way back in 2008."Shout! Factory announced The Director's Cut Blu-ray in July 2014.This version, overseen by Clive Barker, will run twenty minutes longer than the theatrical version and contain forty minutes of new and altered footage. Nightbreed is now broader in scope, has a clearer vision, is more epic in feel and has better defined characters.

In a tie-in documentary, Clive Barker relates that the producers expressed a concern that "The monsters are the good guys". Barker replied, "That's the point."

Director:Clive Barker
Writers:Clive Barker (novel), Clive Barker (screenplay)
Stars:Craig Sheffer, The Master of Body Horror: David Cronenberg, Anne Bobby

Boone (Craig Sheffer) may be a troubled young man, but his troubles are just beginning. Set up as the fall guy in a string of slasher murders, he decides he’ll hide by crossing the threshold that separates ’us’from ’them’and sneak into the forbidden subterranean realm of Midian. Boone will live among the monsters.

As with any Clive Barker production, Nightbreed is absolutely brimming with practical creature effects. The bizarre Nightbreed take on all kinds of kooky forms, many of which could be classified as deformities, others plain ridiculous. Despite this, the monster makeup is pretty consistently amazing that's where much of the creepiness is mined.

Barker encapsulates his vision throughout with a myriad of great sets and visual effects. Barker's vision of Midian is truly an otherworldly experience. The Gothic sensibilities, coupled with the ornateness of the set create a world which is unlike anything ever captured on screen.

The film features a fantastic score by Danny Elfman which complements the mystical underworld where monsters dwell, and which seems more alive and colorful than the real world, which is full of drabness, pain and suffering.

Nightbreed remains one of the best horror fantasy flicks out there. It is supremely entertaining and unlike anything horror fantasy film a fan will ever see. It's a story where the monsters are the good guys. There is truly nothing else out there like it! The greatest attraction here is the audience's immersion into the film's world it creates. It's not a movie for everybody but it shows why Barker is one of most unique horror writers around. 8/10

🎃 October 31 days of Halloween viewing 2020 🎃
1. Becky (2020) F.T.V. 9/10
2. Cat People (1982) F.T.V. 8/10
3. The Lodge (2019) F.T.V 9/10
4. Gretel & Hansel (2020) F.T.V. 7/10
5.Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity (1987) 9/10
6. Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death (1989) 8/10
7. The City of the Dead (1960) 8.5/10
8. The Grudge (2020) F.T.V. 6/10
9. Phase IV (1974) F.T.V. 8/10
10. The Hunt (2020) F.T.V. 9/10
11. The Blood on Satans Claw (1971) F.T.V 8/10