241 - 260 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 · (Edited)
Tiny
Creatures
on Netflix

Tiny Creatures could well be the future of natural history film-making. Scripted, storyboarded and shot like a movie, Tiny Creatures is a technical marvel.

It was also made in record-breaking time. Each episode of a traditional, blue-chip wildlife series takes more than a year to film, whereas each episode of Tiny Creatures was shot across just 27 days.

An array of exciting stories about creatures that usually go completely unnoticed.
Rats, mice and squirrels, as the starry cast, brought to Norfolk by animal handlers from all over the country, includes such diverse animals as a raven, a bark scorpion, a garter snake, a tarantula, a peregrine falcon, a diamondback rattlesnake, a Harris hawk, a Gila monster, an iguana, a chameleon, a salamander, a Burmese python and a praying mantis. All filmed during the height of the Lock-down following safety protocols .

The episodes are very doable running around 25 minutes each. I very much enjoyed the chromatography and just entertaining aspect of this program . It is light as a documentary. See every animal as a movie character and you will see the magic of this show ! Highly recommended.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gone with the Wind (1939)

First Time View...Why did I wait so long for this awesomeness of cinema

Producer: David O. Selznick Director: Victor Fleming Writer:Sidney Howard Stars: Vivien Leigh, Clark Gable, Leslie Howard, Olivia de Havilland, Thomas Mitchell, Hattie McDaniel 3h 58min Drama, History, Romance, Melodrama

Gone With the Wind. My new favorite Greatest American Movie (followed by The Godfather, Ben-Hur , Casablanca, Taxi Driver, Star Wars , Citizen Kane , Rebecca).

Vivien Leigh

"Gone With the Wind" presents a sentimental view of the Civil War, in which the "Old South" takes the place of Camelot and the war was fought not so much to defeat the Confederacy; as to give Miss Scarlett O'Hara her comeuppance. The tainted nostalgia comes with the territory. Yet as "GWTW" approaches its 81th anniversary, it is still a towering landmark of film, quite simply because it tells a good story, and tells it wonderfully well.

Vivien Leigh stars as Scarlett O'Hara. In Gone with the Wind, She is always after something. She is fiery, stubborn, beautiful, and selfish, and won a Best Actress Oscar for her portrayal. When Scarlett O'Hara raises her fist to the sky and vows never to be hungry again, not only do I believe her, I understand her. Vivien Leigh's Scarlett , is one of greatest , most moving and varied , performance I've ever seen on the screen. A touchstone of great melodramatic acting. Rhett Butler is played by Clark Gable, a mustached, cocky, manly actor. Although Scarlett is the center of the film, Gable's intensity matches Leigh's. His ego seems to be competing with hers, physically wrestling hers on the screen. Their energy and passion rise up to meet the gigantic film. The supporting characters are lovely, too, especially Oscar winner Hattie McDaniel as Scarlett's Mammy. She steals every scene she's in with her explosive line readings, and her compassion. Five-time Oscar nominee Olivia de Havilland's performance as the moral fiber of society, was absolutely compelling and as beautiful as see is.

Olivia de Havilland

Vivien Leigh , Hattie McDaniel

Tremendously impressive cinematic experience. From the amazing performances to Fleming's incredible direction and awe-inspiring images and music. This is a film that deserves to be experienced.
"Gone With the Wind" 10/10

Trivia about Gone With the Wind:
The four principal stars were billed in this order: Clark Gable, followed by Leslie Howard (as Scarlett's obsessive love, the glum Ashley Wilkes) and Olivia de Havilland (as sweet Melanie Wilkes, Ashley's cousin), and then Vivien Leigh last with "...and presenting" -- that is, until she won the Oscar and it was changed to "starring."

The film (originally rough-cut at 6 hours in length) was challenging in its making, due to its controversial subject matter (including rape, drunkenness, moral dissipation and adultery) and its epic qualities, with more than 50 speaking roles and 2,400 extras.

Adjusted for inflation, no movie can match the $3.7 billion haul that Gone with the Wind's $390 million box-office receipts since its 1939 release would be worth in today's dollars. The film currently remains the box-office (Champ). Yes More Than #2. 1. Avengers: Endgame (2019). Box office: $2.796 billion.

A nationwide casting search for an actress to play the Southern belle Scarlett resulted in the hiring of young British actress Vivien Leigh, although over 30 other well-known actresses had been tested or considered including: Katharine Hepburn, Miriam Hopkins, Susan Hayward, Loretta Young, Carole Lombard, Paulette Goddard, Margaret Sullavan, Barbara Stanwyck, Joan Crawford, Norma Shearer, Lana Turner, Joan Bennett, Mae West, Tallulah Bankhead, Jean Arthur, and Lucille Ball. In all, 1,400 actresses were interviewed for the part of Scarlett O'Hara, and 400 performed audition-readings. Although MGM star Clark Gable was expected to play the role of the dashing Charlestonian war profiteer Rhett Butler, Errol Flynn, Ronald Colman, and Gary Cooper were also considered for the part.

The landmark film received tremendous accolades, more than any previous films to date: thirteen nominations and eight (competitive) Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Director (Victor Fleming - the only credited director), Best Actress (Vivien Leigh), a posthumous Best Screenplay (Sidney Howard, along with collaborative assistance from Edwin Justin Mayer, John Van Druten, Ben Hecht, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and Jo Swerling) - the first post-humous winner of its kind, Best Color Cinematography, Best Interior Decoration, Best Film Editing, and Best Supporting Actress (Hattie McDaniel - the first time an African-American had been nominated and honored) and two honorary plaques, one for production designer William Cameron Menzies for the "use of color for the enhancement of dramatic mood," and the other a technical production award for Don Musgrave for "pioneering in the use of coordinated equipment."

Many of the five nominations that lost were unexpected: Best Actor (Clark Gable who lost to Robert Donat for Goodbye, Mr. Chips), Best Supporting Actress (Olivia de Havilland who was competing against co-star Hattie McDaniel), Best Sound Recording, Best Original Score (Max Steiner), and Best Special Effects. Its record of a total of ten Academy Awards wins held firm until 1959, when Ben-Hur (1959) won eleven Oscars. It was phenomenal that Gone With the Wind did so well, given that 1939 boasted some of the greatest American films ever made, including Ninotchka, The Wizard of Oz, Wuthering Heights, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Goodbye, Mr. Chips, and Stagecoach.
Great movie . I’ve seen it several times watching it on Blu-ray was a whole new experience.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
Cry
Macho
(2021)

Opening night Cinema showing

From Warner Bros. Pictures come director/producer Clint Eastwood’s uplifting and poignant drama “Cry Macho.” The film stars Eastwood as Mike Milo, a one-time rodeo star and washed-up horse breeder who, in 1979, takes a job from an ex-boss to bring the man’s young son home from Mexico. Forced to take the back-roads on their way to Texas, the unlikely pair faces an unexpectedly challenging journey, during which the world-weary horseman finds.​

If he walks a little slower ...sounds a little gruffer so what . At 91 Clint is great in his heart felt film ! What will you be doing at 91?

Eastwood through's a punch , rides a horse and retains his trade mark wry bad *** humor.
It seems like he should just keep doing what he obviously loves the most and never stop until ... well you know... :)
Look, some of the romantic aspects of the movie did not totally work , lets face it . But I do not give a **** Eastwood has earned his right for such liberties . It added some charm to the screen play as well hell, I am planning to follower his lead .I Thoroughly enjoyed this film. I will definitely be seeing it again. It may be his last creative work and I for one appreciate all Eastwood has given me for my entire life. He did a fine job directing and staring and it was my pleasure to go and support his work.

If you are a Clint Eastwood fan you should go see his new movie, you may not Rave about it as much as I am;

but I guarantee you'll appreciate his effort. And it may be the last . 7.5/10

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
CITIZEN KANE
1941, Drama, 1h 59m

Citizen Kane is often touted as the “greatest movie ever made.” The question of which movie is the greatest ever made is a tricky proposition that has to balance numerous elements ranging from the movie’s aesthetic achievements, the enduring influence the title boasts, and the appeal it holds outside of pure technical mastery.
Following the death of publishing tycoon Charles Foster Kane, reporters scramble to uncover the meaning of his final utterance; 'Rosebud'.

Alone at his fantastic estate known as Xanadu, 70-year-old Charles Foster Kane dies, uttering only the single word Rosebud. So ends the odyssey of a life ... and begins a fabulous tale of the rise to wealth and power--and ultimate fall--of a complex man: A boy abandoned by his parents inherits a fortune, builds a global newspaper empire and aspires to become President of the United States, but he loses everything over an affair with an untalented nightclub singer. Citizen Kane is the directorial debut of director/co-writer/producer/star Orson Welles, who plays the eponymous tycoon (a thinly-veiled satire of numerous real-life American business magnates). Beginning after his lonely death, Welles’ iconic movie tells the story of Kane’s life via the perspectives of former friends, ex-lovers, and embittered associates, coming tantalizingly close to making sense of the man but never offering a clear judgment of the flawed figure.

Mystery of the elusive man's final word

The music by Bernard Herrmann was outstanding !
This was on of my favorite scenes.

It's a masterpiece in many ways. The mastery I find most in is in the imagery of the cinematography. From the lighting especially the shadows used ; to the framing it's magnificent to watch unfold on the screen . It can't be overstated just how important Citizen Kane is in the history of cinema. It's innovative use of camera techniques, non linear story and its focus on the psychology of its main character have been cited as influences on virtually every great film maker since it's release.
Citizen Kane is so cleverly scripted. The talent of the cast is monumental . A marvel of film-making and really deserving of the decades of accolades heaped upon it.

This image has suck with me ever sense I first watched this film as a youth
The Fireplace

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
[/TD]

[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
4K Ultra HD + Blu-rayKino Lorber | 1978 | 115 min | Rated PG | Nov 23, 2021 (2 Months)
I think this is one of the best remakes ever of a horror film !

Jeff Goldblum, Leonard Nimoy, and Donald Sutherland in Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

Kevin McCarthy in Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

Brooke Adams in Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)smok'in hot mama !

special Features:
4KUHD DISC 1:
-Newly Restored HDR Dolby Vision Master from a 4K Scan of the Original Camera Negative – Approved & Color Graded by Director Philip Kaufman
-Audio Commentary by Director Philip Kaufman
-Audio Commentary by Author/Film Historian Steve Haberman
-5.1 Surround & Lossless 2.0 Audio
-Optional English Subtitles
-UHD100 Triple Layer Disc
BLU-RAY DISC 2:
-Newly Restored UHD SDR Master from a 4K Scan of the Original Camera Negative – Approved & Color Graded by Director Philip Kaufman
-Audio Commentary by Director Philip Kaufman
-Audio Commentary by Author/Film Historian Steve Haberman
-Star-Crossed in the Invasion: Interview with Actress Brooke Adams (9:06)
-Re-Creating the Invasion: Interview with Screenwriter W.D. Richter (15:43)
-Scoring the Invasion: Interview with Composer Denny Zeitlin (15:34)
-Leading the Invasion: Interview with actor Art Hindle (25:04)
-Writing the Pod: Interview with Jack Finney Expert Jack Seabrook (11:14)
-Re-Visitors from Outer Space, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Pod - Featurette (16:14)
-Practical Magic: The Special Effects Pod - Featurette (4:38)
-The Man Behind the Scream: The Sound Effects Pod - Featurette (12:47)
-The Invasion Will Be Televised: The Cinematography Pod” featurette (5:24)
-TV Spots
-Radio Spots
-Theatrical Trailer
-Reversible Art
-5.1 Surround & Lossless 2.0 Audio
-Optional English Subtitles
-Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Very good reversible art work !

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
I
Am
Mother
(2019)

Netflix Original

In the wake of humanity's extinction, a teenage girl is raised by a robot designed to repopulate the earth. But their unique bond is threatened when an inexplicable stranger arrives with alarming news.

Clara Rugaard in I Am Mother (2019)

Fans of Ex Machina and other cerebral sci-fi movies will find another favorite here. The lead actress Clara Rugaard makes a stunning debut and carries the film, with Hilary Swank in a supporting role. The film constantly has you changing allegiances, unsure of who to trust. The finale is super satisfying.
I am Mother is a creative film, a visceral slow-burn. A cerebral Science fiction coupled with first rate visual aesthetic appeal .

Hilary Swank in I Am Mother (2019)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Anon Blu-ray
Germany

SteelBookKoch Media | 2018 | 100 min | Oct 25, 2018
Netflix
Region coding

Region A (confirmed), Region B (confirmed), Region C (untested)
Amanda Seyfriend is pitch perfect playing the mysterious Anon. Especially as an Amanda Seyfried fan.

In a world without anonymity or crime, a detective ( Clive Owen) meets a woman(Amanda Seyfried) She has no identity, no history and is invisible to the cops. Sal realizes this may not be the end of crime, but the beginning.

Owens and Seyfried are excellent in this sci-fi indie noir . I found "Anon" thought provoking. A strong twist on psychological --- sociological fiction . Absolutely a slow-burning film but I enjoyed the trip. Especially as an Amanda Seyfried fan.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
The Eyes of Tammy Faye
(2021)

Opening night Cinema showing

I had no Idea this film was going to be so well acted! This is a hidden gem.
Jessica Chastain delivers !

An intimate look at the extraordinary rise, fall and redemption of televangelist Tammy Faye Bakker.
Jessica Chastain is absolutely "fearless" in her performance as Tammy Faye in a very complex leading role. I went to see this film to watch her. Jessica Chastain blew my mind . There is no question in my mind that Chastain will be nominated for a best actress Oscar. She was tremendous and worth the price of admission.

The film is very entertaining and surprisingly funny given the subject matter. The production presented detailed dedication to period accuracy in every visual detail from set design , wardrobe , hair and make-up, direction & screenplay. A first class period piece in its own right.

In the 1970s and '80s Tammy Faye and her husband Jim Bakker rose from humble beginnings to create the world's largest religious broadcasting network and theme park, and were revered for their message of love, acceptance and prosperity. Tammy Faye was legendary for her indelible eyelashes, her idiosyncratic singing and her eagerness to embrace people of all walks of life.

• I knew very little about the subject matter beyond what was in the news when I was a teen. This was covered in the film , but also expanded on the story telling with superb character development . Jessica Chastain raises up in this formula biopic about televangelist Tammy Faye Bakker by giving viewers an absorbing, amusing and provocative performance . It's a 'big' role with a physical transformation, (the race for best makeup begins here) ;To recreate her famous look, from the wigs, to the shoulder pads, and, of course, the spidery lashes, Chastain underwent a full transformation to portray Bakker over four decades, requiring four to seven hours in the makeup chair as makeup, wigs, and extensive prosthetic's were applied. It is a radiant , soulful performance and one that was very entertaining . Worth seeking out . 8/10. Jessica Chastain delivers !​
Kelly Golden, center, the lead prosthetic applicator, and Justin Raleigh, the prosthetic makeup designer, work on Chastain before filming.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
Away (2020)
Netflix

Away is not necessarily about straight adventure, but it is more about what drives the characters, the sacrifices they made to take this monumental step. The series is about exploration in science, family, and faith ; when science can't come up with the answers, faith fills in the gaps. Away offers a more cerebral emotional take on a space adventure series than the usual norm. It was melodrama of the finest order.

The series, a sprawling 10-episode drama about humanity's first mission to Mars, centers around Emma Green (Hilary Swank), the United Colors of Benetton that make up her crew on the Atlas Mission, and the friends, lovers, and family they left behind.

Cast: Hilary Swank, Josh Charles, Talitha Bateman, Ray Panthaki, Ato Essandoh, Mark Ivanir, and Vivian Wu
Each installment was compelling with good character development and high-stakes challenges. The production value was top-notch. Astronauts float around in
space because there is no gravity in space ( the wire work to create no gravity was well done ) .

The acting, very good across the board, with a particularly astonishing turns by both Hilary Swank and teen Talitha Bateman whose roles both demanded a huge range of emotion, to which the two leads responded with wonderfully nuanced performances.

If what you're looking for is serious actors, all of whom are at their top of their game, performing a highly emotional play about the pain of being away from those they love, then Away is a series you will be in tune with . It is highly theatrical and emotionally packed. 8/10.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
La Brea (2021)
NBC Network
Season premier

It was good for evoking hoots and howls of laughter ! I am a huge fan of sci-fi and horror schlock ( Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity 9/10, Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death 8/10, A feminist professor (Shannon Tweed) and her team seek a missing Dr. Kurtz (Adrienne Barbeau) and find a lost tribe of piranha women.)

My point is that there are plenty of entertaining films and TV shows that are rough around the edges ; its all depends on the viewers frame of reference and the spectrum of there cinematic tastes; mine is very "eclectic"(a person who derives ideas, style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources.)

La Brea is not sci-fi schlock it takes it self to seriously. However the lack of professionalism with regards to ... lets say the "special effect" or over the top melodramatic flair I found to be hysterically entertaining and fun giving me a sci-fi schlock vibe though that was not the creators intent. I found the show surprisingly entertaining .
I am a big fan of this kind of science fiction whether it's highbrow or lowbrow I generally eat this type of story telling up . I think the show showed potential letting the carnage loose and the weirdness of the La Brea tar pits turning into an alternate version of Los Angeles, full of tasty strangeness like prehistoric birds, early H o m o​

sapiens/ Cro-Magnon man, creepy low end CGI wolves, saber tooth tigers :)

And according to (Coast to Coasts radio ) Art Bell R. I. P ... hand-prints (which had four fingers) were from lizard-people as there were myths in the 1930's of an ancient subterranean lizard people city beneath L. A. So theirs that too !! There are only 5 episodes 43min ea. So the time commitment is very doable . I will definitely keep watching its lowbrow entertainment value . Why ? As it was fun and entertaining science fiction . :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
The Forever Purge (2021)
First Time View F.T.V Opening night cinema Premiere late late showing with all the Crazies
Second time view UHD Blu-ray

Buckle Up -High octane adrenaline rush with excellent production value , intense action and deliciously violent.
All the rules are broken as a sect of lawless marauders decides that the annual Purge does not stop at daybreak and instead should never end. On the run from a drug cartel, a Mexican couple battle vicious thugs who plan to continue the violent tradition of the Purge.
The Forever Purge is High a octane adrenaline rush with excellent production value, intense action and deliciously violent. I new what I was getting into with this genre of film making ( which is certainly not for every body ) but for those of use who embrace this type of narrative and "on" the screen violent carnage; Screenwriter James DeMonaco isn't in the least bit subtle with the film's message and social commentary. The Forever Purge truly delivers in a bold exasperating fashion . Buckle -up !

The Purge movies have always done something right as the casting is usually solid, with interesting choices for leading roles. It's effectively disturbing at times, and much of that is simply because the main characters are all well cast and mostly sympathetic.

The Forever Purge, DeMonaco has taken the gloves off. This is a brutal, unflinching violent action crime thriller with plenty of gore for the horror gore -hound .

The production value is through the roof . Incredible set pieces with an array of mayhem , destruction and plenty of pyrotechnics . I very much enjoyed the nod to the Mad Max road warrior segments of the film .

The Purge franchise has always been an intriguing one. The series has explored several hot-button topics. The Forever Purge creates an interesting-looking feature. And the director certainly shows a bit of skill when bringing a little tension into the mix. A solid cast and intense action sequences, combined with DeMonaco's takedown of white supremacists, make this fast-paced entry in The Purge franchise one of its best. 8/10.

:love:Ana de la Reguera in The Forever Purge (2021):love:

🎃 October 31 days of Halloween viewing 2021 🎃
1. The Forever Purge F.T.V. Movie Theater

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 ·
Tombs of the Blind Dead
La noche del terror ciego (1972)

Free on VUDU
In the thirteenth century, the region around the city of Berzano was ruled by a legion of Templar Knights, who sought eternal life through the ingestion of human blood. They terrorized the region by harvesting the land and committing human sacrifices. They eventually got imprisoned and executed, left hung out for the crows to peck out their eyes. Now in modern day Portugal, a group of people visits the abandoned city, which awakens the Templar's corpses, terrorizing the region again.

Director
Writers

Spain's homage to NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. Templar zombie knights with swords and horses is a classic.

The Voice Dub was not very good on this film. It is consider to be Spain's NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD. Templar zombie knights with swords and horses look great. Some cool chanting music to go with that. Some good scenes of suspense. Lesbian desire, sexual violence and the unholy onslaught of the eyeless undead!

It is rated PG racy overtones but nothing to wild .For 1971, this film was ahead of its time. Not a ton of gore, but who cares. The atmosphere, mixed with the suspenseful and genuinely scary scenes make it very unique. Its a great film to watch on a dark night with the lights shut off. What it lacks in frights is made up for with the Gothic creepy atmosphere and excellent sound track .There's a lot of emphasis filming the beautiful countryside locations, developing atmosphere and suspense, and good character development is also present. I am loving these seventies euro-horror-flicks! It's a cool movie .

1. The Forever Purge F.T.V. Movie Theater 8/10

2. Tombs of the Blind Dead 7/10

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
Disturbing Behavior (1998)
Free on PLUTO T.V.
First Time View

The new kid in Cradle Bay, Washington stumbles across something sinister about the town's method of transforming its unruly teens into upstanding citizens.

Director, David Nutter Writer Scott, Rosenberg Stars: James Marsden, Katie Holmes, Nick Stahl , Will Sadler

Spawn-of-Scream teen thriller Disturbing Behavior copies the formula well. Know your teens ! Make sure you have all teen subcultures covered. This film includes the characters packed with all sorts: skateboarders in baggy pants. Whiz kids with copies of Stephen Hawking's books . Jocks. Ravers. Stoners . Freaks. Meta teen horror all the way .
But for all its influences, Disturbing Behavior establishes a semi-real, semi-supernatural, part-mocking, part-commiserating genre of its own. I would say this is an under rated little gem. The cast was quit talented. James Marsden (Teddy in Westworld) Attractive Katie Holmes ( Batman Begins).
The standout Nick Stahl, full of star potential. The director does a fine job of building up a paranoid, crazed sense of atmosphere. I think it's worth a look. This was a fun forgotten gem . 7.5/10
Trivia.

There's an unreleased Director's Cut of the film before it was heavily edited for the theatrical release. Unfortunately, due to blockage from the studio Metro-Goldwyn Mayer, director David Nutter was unable to get it released. Nutter once showed the original unaltered cut to the horror film journalists at Fangoria Magazine, who praised it over the theatrical version.

In the movie, the janitor has a copy of Slaughterhouse Five. Ironically, Vonnegut has famously noted, in real life, that this novel was burned by a janitor through an order from an over bearing school board over its unwholesomeness.

One of two films with a plot involving controlled teens released in 1998 that references Pink Floyd's hot song "Another Brick in the Wall, pt. 2". The other film being The Faculty (1998).

3.. Disturbing Behavior F.T.V 7.5 /10

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 · (Edited)
Dracula (1931) & Frankenstein (1931)
Double Feature
Saturday, October 2 at 1:00 pm
Cinemark Carefree Circle and IMAX

My custom LED lighting on my Monster Bash pinball machine
Font Art Games Fictional character Event
Today's festivities started off with a cinematic walk down memory lane ! 90th Anniversary of Universal Monsters. I am sucker for monochrome B/W . I have seen both of these gems but never on the silver screen . I made to make an afternoon of the experience.

After the double feature I went to 5 star historic German family owned treasure for dinner to cap off my day of golden age of Hollywood reminiscing.

Your bellies can grow vicariously through me
😋
hanging out at the Edelweiss restaurant , with Susie the accordion player ! She played and I sang to the tune 'edelweiss' for the restaurant !! They gave me free "world class" cheesecake
😜
Then I did a 6.5 mile walk downtown , to try to burn off all the calories .

Veal , Rahmschnitzel
with a mushroom cream sauce from scratch!

I had a blast celebrating the 90th Anniversary of Universal Monsters with a special double feature of the original Dracula and Frankenstein! On the big silver screen Plus, I got an exclusive tour of the Universal Studios back-lot!

This film is so much better than I remember from my youth. This is only my second viewing first being in 7th grade at Halloween sleepover not sure if I even watched the whole movie back than fall of 1978 give or take !
Lugosi was cool as s***

The original Dracula, starring Bela Lugosi, launched the Hollywood horror genre and defined the iconic look and frightening character of the famed vampire. The inspiration for hundreds of subsequent remakes and adaptations, this classic film directed by Tod Browning, is the signature adaptation of Bram Stoker's story with its eerie passion, shadowy atmosphere and thrilling cinematography. 8.5 /10

It's alive ! It's alive ........................
The line was axed by the PCA, who felt its message of "presumption" was offensive to Christians.
It was added back in to the film in this presentation .

One of the best "Gone -Mad- Moments" in classic horror film history by Colin Clive.
"It's Alive , It's alive , It's alive ; Oh God !! It's Alive......Now I know what it's like to be god . "
An unforgettable masterpiece, the original Frankenstein stars Boris Karloff as the screen's most tragic and iconic monster in what many consider to be the greatest horror film ever made. Tampering with life and death, Henry Frankenstein (Colin Clive) pieces together salvaged body parts to bring a human monster to life. The mad scientist's dreams are shattered by his creation's violent rage as the monster awakens to a world in which he is unwelcome. Featuring groundbreaking makeup by Jack Pierce, director James Whale's adaptation of Mary Shelley's masterpiece novel blends themes of horror, isolation and compassion, and remains one of the horror classics of all time. 9/10

3. Disturbing Behavior F.T.V 7.5 /10
4. Dracula 1931 Cinema Showing 8.5/10

5. Frankenstein 1931 Cinema Showing 9/10

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
Hardware (1990)
Hardware Ronin Flix Blu-ray MINT EXTREMELY RARE Out of Print
9/10 score bump for my nostalgia rush for this film.

The head of a cyborg reactivates, rebuilds itself, and goes on a violent rampage in a space marine's girlfriend's apartment.

Director:Richard Stanley
Writers:Steve MacManus , Kevin O'Neill (story "SHOK!")
Stars:Dylan McDermott, Stacey Travis, John Lynch

Hardware is a quintessential cult film. The movie is definitely not meant for mainstream audiences. Cult films are known for their dedicated, passionate fan-base which forms an elaborate subculture . One that you may or may not want to be a part of . (This serves as my disclaimer)
I think it's great . I have hardcore taste in film genres .

The film was made on a very low budget of around the 1.5 million .
Hardware delivers gore and sex, as expected, the visual and musical arts style is where the sunshine's.
The voyeuristic sub-plot is improper, incorrect. If you can get past this creepy element ; Hardware is a
psychedelic weird cyberpunk influenced , visually intriguing work of sci-fi horror Cinema.

Richard Stanley's cyberpunk indie sci-fi thriller stars Dylan McDermott as Mo, a survivor of a post-apocalyptic future world who makes a living selling salvaged machinery. When some robot parts he's collected rebuild themselves, the reborn creature sets out on a murder spree.

Hardware turned me on to the bands, 'Ministry, Iggy Pop, Gwar, Motorhead , Public Image LTD, Fields of the Nephilim. The cinematography on-screen visual elements, including lighting, framing, composition, camera motion, camera angles, film selection, lens choices, depth of field, zoom, focus, color, exposure, and filtration are trippy, surreal and very well done.

. Two decades later, Hardware retains its merciless poise, and while the filmmaker has slipped into obscurity, his finest work still lunges for the throat. Extremely intense British /American independent science fiction.
Hardware is incredibly hard to find on all fronts and formats, but if you can seek it out and find it, essentially a must-watch horror , sci-fi .

Mark 13 the most destructive droid of its kind
M
ark 13 is a government-built killing machine programmed with artificial intelligence, able to repair and recharge itself from any energy source.

Avoriaz Fantastic Film Festival 1991
No code has to be inserted here.

Brussels International Festival of Fantasy Film (BIFFF) 1991

Fantasporto 1991

Director Richard Stanley come out of Hiatus in a big way in 2019

Spoiler
The Toronto International Film Festival just got interesting for fans of Nicolas Cage and H.P. Lovecraft. Director Richard Stanley, who directed the indie sci-fi cult film HARDWARE, will be screening his highly anticipated Lovecraft adaptation The Color Out of Space. 2019 Cage is set to star as an "unhinged patriarch" who must contend with the insidious effects of a meteor that lands on his property. It seems reasonably safe to expect a little weirdness. September 2019 Toronto International Film Festival Midnight Madness

TIFF 2019: Full Midnight Madness Lineup Sees World Premiere Of Richard Stanley's COLOR OUT OF SPACE

This film should be a surreal trip ..... Nicolas Cage in an H.P. Lovecraft story...SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

6. Hardware (1990) 9/10

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
The Midnight
Meat Train
(2008)

Horror 2 pack blu-ray

[SPOILER="Graphic scene of awesomeness !"]
[/SPOILER]​
Struggling photographer Leon Kauffman's obsessive pursuit of dark subject matter leads him into the path of a serial killer, Mahogany, the subway murderer who stalks late-night commuters -- ultimately butchering them in the most gruesome ways imaginable.

I have no Idea how I missed this ******** awesome film #1. Brooke Shields
#2. A creative and energetic adaptation of a Clive Barker short story. #3. Gruesome #4. Grisly #5. Bloody . #6. Vinnie Jones as the 'maniac' . I really dig this gore feast of a film that gets darker and darker as the story arc progresses . It's excessively and imaginatively gory. So thoroughly coated in over-the-top blood and guts that even veteran genre fans will likely be astounded. Except most thread members of ; AVS October fun: 31 days of Horror, Blood, Guts and Gore! (and zombies, too....) . Directed By: Ryuhei Kitamura and screen play by Jeff Buhler - Producer Clive Barker . The synergy of these men produced one hell of a bloody psycho thriller that is amazingly realistic and alarming. Great film .

Vinnie Jones in The Midnight Meat Train (2008)

6. Hardware (1990) 9/10
7.The Night House 8.5/10
8. The Midnight Meat Train 8/10

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 ·
IN THEATERS THU, OCT 7, 2021
The Evil Dead 40th Anniversary
The ultimate experience in grueling terror! Grindhouse Releasing and Fathom Events celebrate the 40th anniversary of Sam Raimi's horror classic THE EVIL DEAD with an exclusive nationwide screening introduced by star Bruce Campbell.Ash (Campbell), his girlfriend Linda (Betsy Baker), his sister Cheryl (Ellen Sandweiss), and couple Scotty (Hal Delrich) and Shelly (Sarah York), drive to a remote cabin in the woods for a fun getaway. While there, they find the Necronomicon Ex-Mortis (aka "The Book of the Dead"), an ancient tome whose text reawakens the dead when read out loud. After unintentionally releasing a flood of evil, the five friends must fight for their lives or become possessed.

There's no denying the cult status of this 1981 horror gem. The Evil Dead is super low budget and almost humorous and the spectacle that it is. Enjoy your stay... you'll be Dead by Dawn!

I saw this film on VHS repeated times during my collage years . It was always a sure bet to freak me out on those wild Saturday (Not so sober nights) in my my wild days.

I never got to see this film in the movie theater . But do to the 40th anniversary special event ; Premiere Date: October 15, 1981 (Detroit, Michigan) the movie was released in limited cinemas across the nation ! I made sure to take advantage of this Ultimate Experience in Grueling Terror on the big screen it was a sold out theater .

Some interesting history on the production of the film.

A bunch of friends got together at an abandoned cabin in the woods to shoot an independent horror film for under $375,000.

The writer/ director Sam Raimi and the star was a buddy of his from High School , Bruce Campbell. They found themselves with part of a movie complete and a lot of the cast and crew already gone. So the intrepid Sam, along with his big brother Ivan, his little brother Ted and, of course, Bruce Campbell set out to finish the film by getting their friends and family to stand in for the vanished actors (they were credited as "Fake Shemps", in a great "Three Stooges" reference). There was even a long stretch of filming in which the only actor available was Campbell himself. It took so long that Bruce goes through a number of lengths of hair during the run time of the film.

When they finally finished the film, using every trick the young film makers could pull out of their sleeves, at last the film known as Book of the Dead debuted in a local theatre in Detroit. Then producer Irvin Shapiro went and changed the name of the film to The Evil Dead! What else could go wrong?

Well, from that point, apparently very little. As soon as The Evil Dead hit theatres it made its money back and then some. They picked up a very positive review from Stephen King and distribution deals out the wazoo.

The Evil Dead does have a good deal of humorous moments like the sequels . But the original is the scariest . The way sparse and daunting horror should be ! There are very scary moments here as a result of the brainstorming of Sam Raimi and friends.

The way it was written where ultimately the women are possessed by "Kandarian demons"and come after to kill there boyfriends to flip the script was total genius.

The practical effects and make up of the possessed girls was outstanding given the budget . I will never forget the first time I saw the character "Cheryl" levitate that scene freaked me out and resonated my scare-o-meter for years to come.

The sounds in this film contribute greatly to its horror. The relentlessly laughing demons with the little girl voices and the impossibly contorting bodies are very frightening, especially when they turn their psychological magic toward taunting Ash into insanity.

The Evil Dead is a serious horror flick. A true independent film with an inventive cast and crew that helped it to become in my view on of my favorite horror film of all time ! 9/10.
Ellen Sandweiss in The Evil Dead (1981)

Betsy Baker in The Evil Dead (1981)

Ellen Sandweiss in The Evil Dead (1981)

Bruce Campbell in The Evil Dead (1981)

Join US ........
4. Dracula 1931 Movie Theater 8.5/10
5. Frankenstein 1931 Movie Theater 9/10
6. Hardware (1990) 9/10
7.The Night House 8.5/10
9. The Evil Dead 40th Anniversary Movie Theater 9/10

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
I Married a Witch (1942)
(Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray]
also on HBO MAX

Veronica Lake Is mesmerizing as an Alluring Witch . She gets what she want with HEX Appeal !

A beautiful 17th-century witch returns to life to plague politician Wallace Wooley, descendant of her persecutor.
Director:René Clair (as Rene Clair)
Writers:Robert Pirosh (screen play), Marc Connelly (screen play)
Stars: Fredric March, Veronica Lake, Robert Benchley

Veronica Lake (Sullivan's Travels) casts a seductive spell as a charmingly vengeful sorceress in this supernatural screwball classic. Many centuries after cursing the male descendants of the Salem puritan who sent her to the stake, this blonde bombshell with a broomstick finds herself drawn to one of them-a prospective governor (Design for Living's Fredric March) about to marry a spoiled socialite (I Want to Live's Susan Hayward). This most delightful of the films the innovative French director René Clair (Le million) made in Hollywood is a comic confection bursting with playful special effects and sparkling witticisms.

This is a fabulous movie poster!

Veronica Lake cannot be denied as one of cinema's most charming, ravishing, and deliriously pleasant actresses ever. Her peek-a-boo hair falling just so over her right eye to her leans in towards her man is quite fun to watch. Veronica Lake was a petite girl at 4'11'' and only 20 years old here, but with a sultry appeal and alluring playfulness in I Married a Witch which is captivating. Lake steals the show with her jaw dropping blonde witch Jennifer as she wickedly casts spells in order to ruin a man's life, only to fall for him in this delightfully romantic comedy. Her effortless beauty, otherworldly aura, charismatic screen presence, cute soft voice, adorable flirting, and graceful movements all cast a spell of charm over you.
Lake is a screen icon . I can see why she was a hot number in the 40's and she could act too. I did some research on her . What a troubled soul and pitiful woman in the end . It is rather depressing story. Dying broke , and a horrible alcoholic at 50 years of age . Made me even more grateful that I sobered up at the age of 30 . It amazes me so many Hollywood people can't get their sh*t together with drugs and alcohol and die young. Veronica Lake was a tremendous Talent and gone far to soon .
Veronica Lake in I Married a Witch (1942)

6. Hardware (1990) 9/10
7.The Night House 8.5/10
10. I Married a Witch (1942) 7.5/10

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 ·
SCREAM
IN THEATERS SUN, OCT 10, MON, OCT 11
"Scream," the iconic 1996 thriller from director Wes Craven, returns to select movie theaters nationwide for two nights in celebration of its 25th anniversary, courtesy of Fathom Events and Paramount Pictures. "Scream 25th Anniversary" will play in select movie theaters on Sunday, October 10 at 3:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m., and Monday, October 11 at 7:00 p.m. (all times local). Fans who attend the special event will also be treated to a behind-the-scenes look at the film featuring vintage interviews with Wes Craven, Kevin Williamson, Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox, and more.
Scream (1996)
25th anniversary Theater Cinema Showing

Directed by Wes Craven, Scream follows Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell) as she and her friends are stalked by a mask-wearing psychopath known only as Ghostface.

Director: Wes Craven
Writer: Kevin Williamson
Stars: Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox, David Arquette

A pretty decent slasher and a whodunit, it features protagonists who try to overcome a series of murders by what they ironically have in common, as friends: their knowledge and love of horror movies. I had a blast watching SCREAM in the Cinema on the big scene.

Rose McGowan was was worth my price of admission.
There's little doubt that Craven, working from Kevin Williamson's screenplay, does a superb job of grabbing the viewer's attention right from the get-go, as the movie opens with a striking and thoroughly captivating stand-alone sequence revolving around the pursuit and murder of a high school er (Drew Barrymore's Casey). I really enjoyed Drew Barrymore !! I would not have minded if she was one of the 'Final Girls', In her limited scene time, It's an engrossing scene that was one of the best aspects of this film.

This film has great wit . Not necessarily laugh out loud funny, more so that it was quite self-aware, coming from Wes Craven, and there were quite a few moments where the dialogue caused moments that seemed to force the actors to look at the camera and wink. For example, Rose McGowan is trying to calm down Sidney because she is "starting to sound like a Wes Carpenter" ....WINK! See what she did? She combined Wes Craven with John Carpenter, two huge names in the horror movie industry. Or when the principal, played by Henry Winkler, startles the school janitor, dressed in a fedora and a green and red striped sweater and calls him Freddy...WINK! Get it? Because Freddy Krueger was a janitor? Oh, and Linda Blair was in this as a reporter, so there's that too !!!
Wes Craven in Scream (1996)

Cameo by Linda Blair

The actors are a well assorted and written bunch that does an impeccable job of reminiscing the sub-genre while juggling with a complex underlying mystery the movie heavily relies on. The jump scares are deserved; written and directed with ideal pacing, dialogue, acting and a production value rarely matched by similar movies. The intricate script throws you in all directions with plenty of misdirection to keep you engaged.

Writer, Williamson does a nice job of blending the traditional (yet consistently compelling) narrative with self-referential bursts of dialogue (ie Jamie Kennedy's scene-stealing character outlines the three rules one needs to obey to survive a horror flick). Scream stimulates you mentally, proving that a good movie, disregarding its classification, can only spawn from a good story. Adding to the agreeable atmosphere are the tense kill sequences and uniformly engaging performances, with the end result a fun, well-paced 'meta slasher' that remains one of the best modern examples of its kind. 8/10

Drew Barrymore, Neve Campbell, Skeet Ulrich, David Arquette, and Courteney Cox in Scream (1996)

6. Hardware (1990) 9/10
7.The Night House 8.5/10
11. SCREAM (1996) 25th anniversary Movie Theater 8/10

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 · (Edited)
Annabelle (2014)
Blu-ray
First time View

A couple begins to experience terrifying supernatural occurrences involving a vintage doll shortly after their home is invaded by satanic cultists.

Annabelle Wallis and her acting in the film Malignant 2021 lead me to seek out this film . I heard it was no good .But after seeing Miss Wallis tremendous performance in the latest James Wan flick , I figured how bad could the film Annabelle be with her beauty and talent...... well she delivers here too !

Wallis reminds me of the incomparable Audrey Hepburn.

Annabelle Wallis
Coincidentally, Annabelle
is the first name of the actress who plays title role of Mia.

The incomparable Audrey Hepburn

I must say, the early home invasion/cult murders sequences were quite harrowing. I like a period piece and the director nailed the 60's time with the props, cars , sets and costumes were rather well done bring you into the time period .The images of Charlie Manson and his f - up Helter Skelter playing on the Television in the back ground , set the ominous tone of this flicks opening act . For me ,what makes these types of films more compelling is the claim Annabelle and Conjuring films are based on accounts that paranormal researchers claim to be true. I think this movie got a bad rap . I think it is because it came out after the freaky Conjuring . Expectations were set at a very high bar. I classify it as a guilty pleasure type of horror film . And I rather enjoyed the ride. Maybe I am perseverating just a bit ,but Annabelle Wallis is just fascinating and pleasing to watch on screen .
The doll wasn't as central to the story as one would expect, rather it was more of a symbol of evil in the film. The occult mixed with biblical entities of evil , namely the word "Belial" that can be seen in a book on the occult . Belial is a term occurring in the Hebrew Bible which later became personified as the devil in Jewish and Christian texts. This type of horror is guaranteed to get under my skin every time . 6.8/10
Trivia
The movie portrays the Annabelle doll as a porcelain doll, but the real Annabelle doll is a large "Raggedy Ann" doll. The Warrens had a special case built for Annabelle inside their Occult Museum, where she resides to this day.

The baby mobile hanging over the crib plays the same tune as the music box from The Conjuring (2013).

The real Annabelle doll was given to Donna (a college student at the time) by her mother in 1970. She and her roommate Angie noticed that the doll would move subtlety, then within a few weeks became fully mobile moving from one room to another while they were gone.

Ellen DeGeneres lived in the apartment used in the movie. While promoting Annabelle (2014) in her show, she explained that: "The apartment in the movie was my first apartment that I moved to in L.A. That was the building I lived in, where they shot the movie. I was watching it going: 'That looks familiar', and it was my building. It was scary back then too."

The characters names 'Mia' and 'John' refer to the lead actors in Rosemary's Baby (1968): Mia Farrow and John Cassavetes. This movie is also about a young well to do couple in a luxury apartment having a baby in combination with satanists going for mother and child. The frequent noise of the neighbors in a adjacent apartment is a nod to the same movie.

6. Hardware (1990) 9/10
7.The Night House 8.5/10
11. SCREAM (1996) 25th anniversary Movie Theater 8/10