261 - 270 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
eXistenZ (1999)
Blu-ray
First Time View
A game designer on the run from assassins must play her latest virtual reality creation with a marketing trainee to determine if the game has been damaged.

One of the unheralded sci-fi horror classics of that 1990's decade. David Cronenberg's dizzying B-movie - is quite good with an all star cast .Gooey, slimy, grotesque ,haunting, hallucinatory attack into the philosophical and cinematic outer limits.

Some of eXistenZ is ludicrous, but as the film goes on the madness adds to a surreal trippy alternate reality. All backed up by a talented cast . Cronenberg has assembled a fascinating ensemble of players for his highly evolved game. Leigh flaunts her provocative some what sexy demeanor to good effect as Allegra, well met by Jude Law as a bodyguard who's new to playing her games. Ian Holm, and Christopher Eccleston assume shifting identities. Willem Dafoe turns up, sleek and freaky, as a grease monkey named Gas. Here, Cronenberg is working from his own original material for the first time since 1983's Videodrome. EXistenZ takes themes from Videodrome and adapts them around its own interesting concept.
"eXistenZ" is a crude virtual reality gaming movie. Video game designer Allegra Geller (Jennifer Jason Leigh) has created a virtual reality game called eXistenZ. After a crazed fan attempts to kill her, Allegra goes on the run with Ted (Jude Law), a young businessman who falls into the role of bodyguard. In an attempt to save her game, Allegra implants into Ted's body the video game pod that carries a damaged copy of eXistenZ. Allegra and Ted engage in a series of experiences that blur the lines between fantasy and reality.
Even though the execution of the movie was done with a low budget , the concept was great. Marvel at how a grotesque and visceral world can be made so vividly real and intriguing with the use of practical effects instead of computer-graphics. Cronenburg knows the value of his tactile world and is still one of the masters of body horror .The psychological depths Cronenberg reaches are mind-blowing to fathom. A psychotropic trip. 7/10

Jennifer Jason Leigh is sexy in this film

🎃 October 31 days of Halloween viewing 2021 🎃
1. The Forever Purge F.T.V. Movie Theater 8/10
2. Tombs of the Blind Dead 7/10
3. Disturbing Behavior F.T.V 7.5 /10
4. Dracula 1931 Movie Theater 8.5/10
5. Frankenstein 1931 Movie Theater 9/10
6. Hardware (1990) 9/10
7.The Night House 8.5/10
8. The Midnight Meat Train 8/10
9. The Evil Dead 40th Anniversary Movie Theater 9/10
10. I Married a Witch (1942) 7.5/10
11. SCREAM (1996) 25th anniversary Movie Theater 8/10
12. Annabelle (2014) F.T.V 6.8/10
13. eXistenZ (1999) F.T.V 7/10

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
A group of college students gets lost in a storm during their snowmobiling trip and takes shelter in an abandoned sanitarium which, unbeknown to them, is home to three deformed cannibals.

Follows a group of friends that decide to go snowmobiling during their winter break. They make a "wrong turn", getting lost in a storm. Quintessential viewing for all gore-hound's. Beyond the genuinely impressive opening sequence, there's all sorts of barbed wire inspired sadism. The gore scenes are particularly well done. Old school Practical effects with real blood work and real Prosthetic's.
I watched the special features. 'Making Another Wrong Turn'. I have to add that writer and director Declan O'Brien found the most epic location to film "Wrong Turn 4" . Filmed at the abandoned ( Brandon Asylum for the Insane) "I am not making this up".... in Brandon, Manitoba ,Canadian province.

The first mental patients, twenty-nine men and women transferred from Selkirk Asylum and the Provincial Gaol, arrived in July, 1891, and the Brandon Asylum was in business.

Over the next two decades the institution grew from its modest beginning of twenty-nine patients. By 1910, the average daily patient population had exceeded six hundred individuals.

• Brandon Asylum for the Insane

Postcard of the original Brandon Asylum for the Insane, showing the original structure at right, an addition constructed between 1892 and 1893 in the centre, and an addition constructed between 1903 and 1905 at left. The entire complex was destroyed by fire in November 1910. (circa 1910)

No regrets watching this awesome trash horror movie.

6. Hardware (1990) 9/10
7.The Night House 8.5/10
14. Wrong Turn 4: Bloody Beginnings 8/10

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·

Halloween Kills
(2021)

Opening Night Cinema With all the crazies
Now this is how you make a slasher film sequel !
I loved it.

The saga of Michael Myers and Laurie Strode continues in the next thrilling chapter of the Halloween series.
I went to the movie theater to see Halloween 2018 . I left underwhelmed . Here is a copy & paste comment from my review of Halloween 2018
This Halloween film needed to much more violent imagery for me to get a gut-deep bodily response and stimulus for a true visceral reaction experience I was hoping for. While the film appealed to my nostalgic like of the 1978 film.This incarnation did not push the envelope to be the Halloween that , the 1978 version, has always deserved.
I am happy to report that Halloween Kills 2021 Director David Gordon Green swung for the fences.
Michael Myers, once again , feels like a unbridled force of nature; Halloween Kills knows what you're here for ...and the film delivers ! The kills are much more creative , gory , fun and brutal this time around. The script is pretty ludicrous. This may hold the film back for some. But if you embrace the lunacy in a "so bad it is actually good frame of mind" it IMO adds the the enjoyment with its ridiculousness of the character stereo types, genre tropes and violent chaos. I really want to go off and talk more about this film but do not want to spoil anything . It will be fun to read others thoughts on Halloween Kills as we all see things differently :)
I did not read any professional reviews before hand but I did sneak a peak and they were pretty dismal.
Here is the thing...... I had a gut instinct that what the lackluster reviewers took away from the movie, that I would actually walk away polar opposite and very satisfied with this Halloween Kills 2021 effort . And my gut instinct was correct ! Halloween Kills brings on the crazy and I can not wait to watch it again .The film has some great over the top exaggerated fun characters, creative cinematography, tight pacing , visceral kills , bat-s h i t crazy script a unique take to John Carpenter's vision.

Overall great film and excellent addition to the American slasher film genre .

8/10

6. Hardware (1990) 9/10
7.The Night House 8.5/10
15. Halloween Kills
8/10

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
:ROFLMAO: Frankenhooker:LOL:
Blu-ray

First Time View
United Kingdom

Arrow | 1990 | 85 min | Rated BBFC: 15 | Jan 02, 2012

Frankenhooker is self-aware b-movie trash of the best variety. It's full of bad jokes, over the top acting, sex and violence. This movie is a cautionary tale about the dangers of pushing the boundaries of science too far. This film is included in several best schlock films ever made. I thoroughly enjoyed this prime beef grade (A) TRASH horror film.

"If you only see one movie this year, it should be FRANKENHOOKER."
- Bill Murray

SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED
Finding a girl when you're a nerdy science geek can be hard. But what happens if that special someone dies in a bizarre gardening accident and it's all your fault?

From the twisted imagination of Frank Henenlotter, the creator of the BASKET CASE trilogy and BRAIN DAMAGE,( none of which I have ever seen , but are now on my must watch schlock horror titles) comes FRANKENHOOKER, a gory horror-comedy twist on the Frankenstein legend.

When Jeffrey Franken's fiance'e is chopped to pieces by the blades of a remote-controlled lawnmower, he uses his dubious medical knowledge to try to bring her back to life. He reassembles his beloved Elizabeth using the body parts of New York City's finest prostitutes, and resurrects her during a heavy lightning storm. Unfortunately for Jeffrey, his dear Elizabeth's brain is scrambled and she runs amok on 42nd Street, turning tricks and bringing high-voltage death to her customers!

Luscious and sensuous well-built brunette stunner Patty Mullen was an actress and model who alas only acted in two movies during her regrettably short-lived cinematic career. Mullen hails from Staten Island. Patty first turned heads with a steamy nude pictorial as a Pet of the Month in the August, 1986 issue of "Penthouse." She was named Pet of the Year in 1987; she both graced the cover of and did a follow-up nude pictorial in the January, 1988 issue of "Penthouse."
[/SPOILER]​

Mullen was quite appealing and eye-catching in a dual role as Judy and Kiki LaRue in the amusingly cruddy 80s slasher send-up "Doom Asylum." I have ordered this for next years festivities:)
Mullen gave an even better, more assured and flat-out hilarious performance as the titular lovely, yet lethal street walker in the uproariously outrageous tongue-in-cheek horror comedy romp "Frankenhooker." In addition, Patty appeared as a judge in the televised wrestling program "Clash of the Champions." More recently, Mullen was featured in a nine minute interview segment in the Special Edition DVD of "Frankenhooker." Patty Mullen now lives in Florida and has two daughters.
Patty Mullen in Frankenhooker (1990)

I want this awesome Movie Poster for my home cinema/Man crave!
This is such a fun film 8/10

6. Hardware (1990) 9/10
7.The Night House 8.5/10
15. Halloween Kills 2021 8/10
16. Darling 2015 8.5/10
17.:LOL: Frankenhooker:ROFLMAO: 1990 8/10

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·

Bride of Frankenstein vs. The Cabin in the Woods

Bride of Frankenstein 23%
Bride of Frankenstein

23%

The Cabin in the Woods 77%
The Cabin in the Woods

The Cabin in the Woods
14912 VOTES

This is supersizing The cabin in the Woods is a great film ..... but can't hold a candle to
Bride of Frankenstein. Not in my universe at least. I blame it on the Gen Z & Millennial generations. :)

Of the remaining films. These would be my two "Stranded on a Desert Island" finalist !
Nightmare on Elm Street versus The Exorcist ..... with The Exorcist for the win ! But just by a nose.

"Kitty, kitty .... Chow chow chow" !!

One, two, Freddy's coming for you. Three, four, better lock your door.

- Five, six, grab your crucifix.

- Seven, eight, gonna stay up late. Nine, 10, never sleep again

"What an excellent day for an exorcism" !!!

This trailer was so shocking it was Banned.

I really don't like rotten tomatoes but this pole is fun .

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 · (Edited)
The Silence of the Lambs
30th Anniversary

IN THEATERS SUN, OCT 17, WED, OCT 20

Is Silence of the Lambs a horror movie ?

I would say yes.... it qualifies . It's a mix between Suspense ( in which it shines the brightest ) strong elements of psychopathic horror and a crime drama thriller. I have always viewed the film as an American psychological -thriller in addition to being a suspenseful horror film , in that order. One of those films that exists at the intersection of a couple of different genres. Whereas a movie like "The Conjuring " is a supernatural horror film or "Zombie Land Double Tap" is a comedic horror film.

Prior to "Silence of the Lambs," there had only been two films in the horror genre nominated for best picture since the very first Oscars ceremony in 1929 - "The Exorcist" (religious horror ) 1974 and "Jaws" ( action adventure horror) in 1976.

1991 box office hit, horror psychological thriller, is not for the squeamish. Based on the Thomas Harris novel and directed by Jonathan Demme. Nominated for 7 Oscar's, winner of the 5 major awards.

The Silence of the Lambs (1991) became the third film in Academy history to win the "Big Five" Academy Awards. It was the first film in the genre to win the top award. In fact, "Silence of the Lambs" swept the 1992 Oscars, becoming only the third film in history to win best film, best director, best actor, best actress and best adapted screenplay. Following It Happened One Night (1934) and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975).

Thousand Oaks, California, U.S. Darla (1975–1992) was a Bichon Frise and animal actress most known for her role as Precious in the 1991 thriller The Silence of the Lambs.
Darla a.k.a Precious

A rookie FBI trainee is tasked to interview an incarcerated psychopath for information into a recent crime spree. Foster won a Best Actress Oscar, and in addition to winning Best Actor, Hopkins' Dr. Lecter was named the Best Villain by the American Film Institute.

One must give Ted Levine honorable mention as Buffalo Bill in the film The Silence of the Lambs.

I have seen many Jodie Foster films , she really shines in The Silence of the Lambs. Foster nailed the expressions and range of emotions in the role of Clarice Starling
One of the lighter moments of the film that Foster plays brilliantly

Demme's Oscar-winning direction and Oscar-winning screenplay make one of the most tense and chilling films of the past 30 years; Lecter's eventual escape being especially scary. The Dynamics and Chemistry between Foster and Hopkins is truly compelling as their relationship develops its is astounding. The two actors play so well off one another they turn in a very complex thespian performance for the ages ! This is a slick, superbly acted first-rate masterpiece of suspense ! The Silence of the Lambs helped the horror genre to become much more nuanced IMO. This is great cinema no matter what genre it is placed in . 9/10

6. Hardware (1990) 9/10
7.The Night House 8.5/10
16. Darling 2015 8.5/10

18. The Silence Of the Lambs 30th anniversary Movie Theater 9/10

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
Practical Magic (1998)
Blu-ray

Practical Magic / The Witches of Eastwick (Double Feature) [Blu-ray]
Director:Griffin Dunne
Writers:Alice Hoffman (novel), Robin Swicord (screenplay)
Stars:Sandra Bullock, Nicole Kidman, Stockard Channing

Sally (Sandra Bullock) and Gillian Owens (Nicole Kidman), born into a magical family, have mostly avoided witchcraft themselves. But when Gillian's vicious boyfriend, Jimmy , dies unexpectedly, the Owens sisters give themselves a crash course in hard magic. With policeman Gary Hallet (Aidan Quinn) growing suspicious, the girls struggle to resurrect Angelov -- and unwittingly inject his corpse with an evil spirit that threatens to end their family line.

Girl Power squared. Kidman seems to be mainly cast to be present and beautiful. She does that better than ever in this film. The real protagonist of the film is Bullock.
Bullock shows Girl Power by pointing out that normal is hard enough' the message of the film, it is this:
"Do not deny yourself and act according to your own nature, only then will you be truly happy".
A chick flick with a bit more substance than average.
Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman are wickedly sexy as the spell-casting sisters doomed to be single for the rest of their natural life. Raised on chocolate cake and midnight margaritas buy there aunts ! I felt the camaraderie of the moment as the two sisters and their aunts got drunk on "midnight margaritas" while dancing to Harry Nilsson's "Lime in the Coconut." It was just plain light fun. Best scene in the whole **** movie. The film has a great sound track to boot .

With Nicole Kidman and Sandra Bullock as the sisters and Stockard Channing and Diane Wiest as their 'bohemian' aunts it can't fail to provide a diverting couple of hours. I thoroughly enjoyed this piece of fluff.

Practical Magic - Midnight Margaritas

Best scene in the movie. “Eye of newt and toe of frog, Wool of bat and tongue of dog…” No animals were harmed in this film ! :)

:ROFLMAO: Fun fact they actually got drunk for this scene Nicole Kidman brought cheap tequilia and they all got hammered.

6. Hardware (1990) 9/10
7.The Night House 8.5/10
16. Darling 2015 8.5/10

19. Practical Magic 7/10

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
Puppet Master (1989)
Blu-ray
First Time View
Psychics find themselves plotted against by a former colleague, who committed suicide after discovering animated, murderous puppets.
16: 9 transfer !!! I can't tell you how many times I saw this VHS on the selves of Block Buster back in the day and thought to myself ? Who the h e l l rents this trash ? And why do they keep making more . I passed it up many times. It is interesting that the spectrum of my film taste has broadened over the years. The film and the entire series apparently has a large cult following of horror fans. I joined 'Full Moon Features' web site email list and discovered Charles Band. I found a plethora of new horror genres like schlock , torture & revenge, Italian thriller-horror genre Giallo that I never considered even watching prior. Now I like about all of it highbrow, middlebrow, lowbrow there are some great gems listed.
Back to the film.... If one wants to find just one movie that sums up the activities of the legendary Full Moon and the equally legendary founder Charles Band over the years, then this should probably be the cult-classic PUPPET MASTER. I had no Idea that this film did not have a theatrical release, just assumed I missed it . But in the intro to the film Charles Band explained how Full Moon started with PUPPET MASTER and it releasing straight to video... and it was very successful.

A group of people with occult abilities are invited to the castle of a magician puppet maker but will find themselves fighting for their lives, besieged in the castle by the satanic puppets of Toulon, who have a large repertoire of murders, as well as a great appetite for blood. This is brilliant stuff. The Stop Motion is such a treat to CGI of today . I mean sure CGI can be fabulous but the magic by the likes of the master Raymond Frederick Harryhausen who created a form of stop motion model animation known as "Dynamation" his influence is obvious here and it works splendidly. The 5 satanic puppets are a devilish riot to watch as they rip, maim and maul there victims .

Director Schmoeller manages to create awesome atmosphere . The puppets are well made, inspiring and genuinely creepy, the special effects are excellent and absolutely convincing given the limited budget. Kudos to cheapo Charles Band as he does manage to hire the lovely Barbara Crampton !

I am glad to rolled the dice a picked up the pride of the Full Moon--Puppet Master, time has been quite kind to the stop-motion effects that make this classic B/C movie come alive. 7.5/10.

6. Hardware (1990) 9/10
7.The Night House 8.5/10
16. Darling 2015 8.5/10

19. Practical Magic 7/10
20. PUPPET MASTER 7.5/10

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
She-Wolf of London (1946)
Blu-Ray Part of a compilation
The Wolf Man: Complete Legacy Collection
Spoiler

A very underrated golden age of Hollywood Universal Film
A young heiress finds evidence suggesting that at night she acts under the influence of a family curse and has begun committing ghastly murders in a nearby park.

Great Movie Poster
Phyllis Allenby (June Lockheart the perfect mother in the later television Lassie ) is a beautiful and wealthy young lady who's engaged to a handsome attorney (Don Porter). Unfortunately, the joy of her imminent wedding is overturned by her belief that a series of grisly murders at the nearby park is the direct result of a werewolf curse placed upon her family. She-Wolf of London's minuscule budget requires its story to focus more on psychological thrills than creepy monster makeup, but it does have a few good moments thanks to its cast of veteran character actors as well as a script that's slightly more thoughtful than the typical B-movie.

She-Wolf gets a bad rap as it is more a psychological thriller than a typical Universal 'creature' horror. The film has excellent costumes and wardrobe and the sets are extravagant in the Victorian setting . It has the fog-drenched atmosphere but lacks the monster attacks, or in the case of werewolf flicks - the transformation. This doesn't make it a bad film - just a different one.

June Lockhart in She-Wolf of London (1946)

June Lockhart is an American television, film and theater actress. She's best known for her role in the series, Lassie (1954) and Lost in Space (1965). Lockhart was born on June 25, 1925 in New York City. 96 years (y)

6. Hardware (1990) 9/10
7.The Night House 8.5/10
16. Darling 2015 8.5/10

19. Practical Magic 7/10
20. PUPPET MASTER 7.5/10
21. She-Wolf of London 7/10

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
The Suicide Squad (2021)
VUDU
OK Guys I pushing the boundaries of this one in regards to horror. However; It is ultra violent and has a great act with an awesome Creature Feature type villain a ginormous starfish ! Very cool .
See you boys In a few days... I off to back to back Grateful Dead shows on Fri-Saturday night and the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown trade show in Denver Co in the day time. See you in a few days! Look forward to see all your weekend movie picks !

Supervillains Harley Quinn, Bloodsport, Peacemaker and a collection of nutty cons at Belle Reve prison join the super-secret, super-shady Task Force X as they are dropped off at the remote, enemy-infused island of Corto Maltese.

This film has a lot of balls. I can see people thinking this one is far too weird and bizarre . But for me that what makes this film so brilliant ; raw-- politically incorrect -- uber violent. The shock factor alone sold me from the very beginning. Absolutely an eccentric ride envisioned by writer-director James Gunn's singularly skewed vision, The Suicide Squad marks a funny, fast-paced rebound that plays to the source material's violent, anarchic strengths.

Welcome to hell--a.k.a. Belle Reve, the prison with the highest mortality rate in the US of A. Where the worst Super-Villains are kept and where they will do anything to get out--even join the super-secret, super-shady Task Force X. Today's do-or-die assignment? Assemble a collection of cons, including Bloodsport, Peacemaker, Captain Boomerang, Ratcatcher 2, Savant, King Shark, Blackguard, Javelin and everyone's favorite psycho, Harley Quinn. Then arm them heavily and drop them (literally) on the remote, enemy-infused island of Corto Maltese. Trekking through a jungle teeming with militant adversaries and guerrilla forces at every turn, the Squad is on a search-and-destroy mission with only Colonel Rick Flag on the ground to make them behave...and Amanda Waller's government techies in their ears, tracking their every movement. And as always, one wrong move and they're dead (whether at the hands of their opponents, a teammate, or Waller herself). If anyone's laying down bets, the smart money is against them--all of them.
'The Suicide Squad' represents the very best that DC films can be, taking the kind of risks that you wouldn't see in a Marvel property.

Its has dark wit , ultra violence and refusing to apologize for it . Those who dig its bat-s h i t crazy tone will have a lot of fun watching this crazy, chaotic -- and unexpectedly good -- flick.

Sylvester Stallone in The Suicide Squad (2021)

Joel Kinnaman in The Suicide Squad (2021)

Viola Davis in The Suicide Squad (2021)

Idris Elba in The Suicide Squad (2021)

Daniela Melchior in The Suicide Squad (2021)

David Dastmalchian in The Suicide Squad (2021)

John Cena in The Suicide Squad (2021)

Margot Robbie in The Suicide Squad (2021)

6. Hardware (1990) 9/10
7.The Night House 8.5/10