Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have changed my thoughts and I've decided to use an EP 1500 to power the LLT 15" sub I'm going to build. What other devices do you guys use to get the best performance?????? I have read some good things about the ART clean box and plan on buying one if I will need it to convert from RCA to XLR. Any other input would be great.

James

·
Registered
118 Posts
Art can be modified to kill the roll off, see thread in the sticky section.

I have just spent hours with art, and have come to the conclusion that they charge too much for one. I can not get rid of a hum in a ground loop with it, and that is with it internal to another unit. Got rid of most of it, but for some reason it is picking up a hum somewhere.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Steve, thanks for your response.

Don't plan on needing any other electronics except for a dvd player and receiver.
I was hoping I'd get some feedback from you. I'm new to Winisd, so I've been modeling some of the projects in the members build section. I've also modeled the SS RL-P15 you seem to recommend in the 260 liter enclosure with the 30" long 6" port and noticed cone excursion going through the roof just below tuning @ 15hz. I'm afraid of some of the new movie soundtracks with super low(5-01hz) signal launching the cone onto the living roof floor.

What do you recommend for converting the RCA LFE output of my Denon AVR-2808CI receiver to the balanced input of a beringer EP1500 or 2500? I'm considering the EP 1500 because I only have room for the 9-10 ft^3 I'll need for a single SS RL-P15. Is there any reason I should buy the EP 2500 instead of the EP1500 if I'm only going to be powering a single RL-P15? I plan on building it to your recommended 260 liters with 6" port 30" long.

Thanks for taking the time to post your very informitive article on the LLT design.

James

·
Registered
106 Posts
You could run a mixer for a dj or microphone/instrument use and use that to boost the levels and then run balanced xlr or 1/4 between the mixer and the amp.

Mixer would be about $100. I tried the utralink pro from behringer and it was a piece of junk (the preamp was biased to the left channel on several units when I rma'd), so don't go too cheap.

The ep1500 is plenty of power for most subs with 1400 watts at 4 ohms. If you see the 2500 and the 1500 with $50-100 price difference I'd buy the 2500. I bought my ep1500 for $130 from a local dj :).

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Did you already purchase the RL-p15? If not, if the current $310 price I see on their website is what you'd be getting it at, I would take a look at some other alternatives, like say the Mach5 Audio IXL 18" or FiCar Audio Q18. Not to say the RL-p15 isn't a great performing driver, but you can get a lot more displacement with what I would have to think is at least an equal if not much better distortion profile with the 18s.

As for not needing a highpass, read the 11th paragraph in my LLT Explained. Basically several factors contribute to prevent the driver from going crazy below tuning when a very low tuning is used.

I'm not an owner of a Behringer, but I'd have to think you could use a RCA to 1/4" adapter like I do with my Carvin amps.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't really have the real estate for the mammoth 18" enclosure. I only have exterior dimensions of 20 widex22deepx48tall to work with. I roughly calculated about 10 ft^3. including port and bracing.

I'm also considering the AE Speakers AV-15X for $249. delivered. It seems to be very sensitive and appears to have 2db higher output with all parameters the same when modeling the RL-P15. I think an EP 1500 would really rock this one with plenty of head room.

Any other 15's I should consider?

James

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mach 5's website says they're sold out of the IXL18.2.2. Is there another source in the U.S.?

What is the smallest volume I could get away with without having to use a highpass filter? I may be able to go a little taller,but I'm already stretching the footprint @ 20" wide and 22" deep.

Thanks for the reply,

James

1 - 13 of 13 Posts