Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of Para 100's v3 that I will be running as well as the Para center and surround speakers in my basement HT. I plan to use the system for music and HT 50/50. I need some help on which reciever, processor or amp i need to run this system to the best. Do I go with a processor and amp and use the bi-wire option on the 100's v3 or just run a high end Reciever to push this whole system. This is my first time trying to get this type of HT system setup so any advice will be helpful. If if could stay between the 800-1100 dollar range that will be great.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Re: What Reciever, Processor, Amp for Para 100's v3?

Get a well-equipped receiver with pre-outputs - such as the Marantz SR5007 ($849, shipped, at Amazon.com) - and don't bother bi-amping.

If/when you add more speakers (a CC speaker and surrounds), add an Emotiva amp to power them; or use the Emotiva amp to power your front three and let the AVR handle the surrounds.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

Depending on your budget I would highly recommend this Onkyo 3009
You would never need an external amp with this receiver and its got every feature you will ever need including Audyssey MultEQ XT32, The very best video processor available using the HQV Vida chip. It also has THX Ultra 2+ certification and many more useful items.

·
Registered
194 Posts

You might want to look at Pioneer's Elite line with the D3 amps as an installer I am amazed at what these amps bring to the table without breaking a sweat they can handle the Paradigm Studios ,KEF's 205 and Polks LSI with no problem as these higher end units tend to have low impedance on the bottom end.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

There is very little change over the 3009. its up to you I guess if you want to have the duel core vida chip in the 3010 but the 3010 dropped 2 lbs of weight and I suspect they changed the size of the power supplies (a big difference in actual power output) over the 3009.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

Although the amplification section is stronger by a little bit it does not have Audyssey Multi EQ XT32 and thats a big one for me and it does not pass HDMI 1.4 so its not 3D capable if you plan to use that.

·
Registered
578 Posts

... it does not pass HDMI 1.4 so its not 3D capable ...
I don't understand. According to the SR5007 product page:
The SR5007 includes built-in 3D pass-through technology that enables it to route 3D video signals from a Blu-ray player to your HDTV. As a result, you can enjoy Blu-ray 3D discs in dynamic surround sound. The receiver also supports the 4K high-resolution video standard, allowing you to play 4K videos on compatible displays and projectors. The receiver supports both 4K pass-through and 4K upscaling technologies.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

Sorry I thought you meant the Onkyo 5007 Thats a 3 year old model Marantz is pushing it by using the same model number as Onkyo Im surprised Onkyo has not said anything.
The Marantz does not have Audyssey XT 32 either (very few receivers do) and it also does not have the same quality video chip as the Onkyo.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

Ok thanks for the feedback I have one last question and then I should be able to make a decision. What are your thoughts about the 5009 or 5010 over the 3009 and 3010?
The biggest difference in the 30xx and 50xx is the 5009 and 5010 use a toroidal power supply meaning they are more efficient cleaner and simply better than a standard power supply used in most receivers.

·
Registered
578 Posts

... If if could stay between the 800-1100 dollar range that will be great. ...

What are your thoughts about the 5009 or 5010 over the 3009 and 3010?
Since you're eyeing AVRs that are well over your initial ~$1,100 price cap, the Denon AVR-4311 ($1,549.99 at Amazon.com) is another option worth considering. It's well-rated and well-equipped, including HDMI 1.4a and MultEQ XT32 w/ Sub EQ HT.

Ditto the Denon AVR-4520 ($2,499 at Amazon.com). See this HTS review for more information.

·
Registered
578 Posts

Sorry I thought you meant the Onkyo 5007 ...
OK, thanks for the clarification.

Thats a 3 year old model Marantz is pushing it by using the same model number as Onkyo Im surprised Onkyo has not said anything.
Can't see why Onkyo would care: Their model was the TX-NR5007 while Marantz's is the SR5007.

·
Registered
876 Posts

Marantz 7007 is probably the winner here. It'll run you about $1300. In my opinion its more refined than the Pioneer D3 and Yamaha Aventage receivers. I also feel it has a higher build quality than comparable Onkyo receivers. The Marantz 7007 also features Audyssey MultEQXT (upgradeable to Pro).

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

With the Marantz 7007 not having XT32 and sub EQ I dont see how thats a better option. Upgrading to "Audyssey Pro" is not really a viable option. the Marantz also does not have the HQV vida chip

·
Registered
876 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Ok I've been looking into the Denon 4311, 4520 and Onkyo 3009. For the price ranges below which option is best? Would a 4311 be just fine for my system at the cheper price or will spending the extra money for one of the higher two be a big difference that I will notice and which one over the other?

Denon 4311 $1000-1200
Denon 4520 $1600-1900
Onkyo 3009 $1600-1900

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.