Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some ambient light but not to much currently projecting on an off white wall and blacks could be better.. not sure if I should go with a grey or white background with this projector. . Anyone else have this projector and what screen you are using?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Some ambient light but not to much currently projecting on an off white wall and blacks could be better.. not sure if I should go with a grey or white background with this projector. . Anyone else have this projector and what screen you are using?
If there's ambient light, you'll benefit from a gain screen. There are many. Gain screens return more light and reject ambient light at the expense of wide viewing angles. The result is better contrast.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If there's ambient light, you'll benefit from a gain screen. There are many. Gain screens return more light and reject ambient light at the expense of wide viewing angles. The result is better contrast.
doesn't that contradict the rule? if you have ambient light you use grey screen which is a lower gain than a white screen

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
If you have ambient light with low fL, you'd use a gray screen with gain. Draper, Da-Lite, Stewart, etc. make gray screens with gain. The key is to find the happy medium where the gain isn't way out of control and causing hot spotting. And of course you're looking at paying triple the cost of a regular gray screen too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have ambient light with low fL, you'd use a gray screen with gain. Draper, Da-Lite, Stewart, etc. make gray screens with gain. The key is to find the happy medium where the gain isn't way out of control and causing hot spotting. And of course you're looking at paying triple the cost of a regular gray screen too.
I'm projecting off a off white wall, so I'm guessing anything would be an improvement

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
You haven't mentioned a budget , but SCREEN INNOVATIONS - Black Diamond series uses the +gain technology for rooms with moderate to heavy ambient light.. more expensive but advanced technology is obviously going to cost more...

well my link to youtube isnt posting - search SI zero edge

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
When I had my 1070 I ran the Jamestown 134" screen and it was fine. We could watch a movie when we had the lights on, but it was much better with the lights out. My 195" SeymourAV screen looks much better with the lights on than the Jamestown did. I don't know if the SeymourAV is higher gain, but it looks better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts