Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
i used #6 1" screws in 3/4" mdf. work perfectly. i pre-drilled the holes using a hand drill with the sub sitting in the cutout. probably not the safest bet, but it worked for me.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
i used #6 1" screws in 3/4" mdf. work perfectly. i pre-drilled the holes using a hand drill with the sub sitting in the cutout. probably not the safest bet, but it worked for me.
That pre-drilling is very good advice. I've had one customer stick a screwdriver through the surround and ruin a driver.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
That pre-drilling is very good advice. I've had one customer stick a screwdriver through the surround and ruin a driver.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
That almost happened to my sub, but it's not near as valuable :) I would die if that happened to my Shiva when I get it...
But, luckily, I had my thumb from my other hand covering the surround by the screw...needless to say, I was applying wayy too much pressure on the screwdriver, and it went all the way through the skin on the side of my thumb. Still didn't harm the surround, but burned like hell. :mooooh:
I now just use some kind of clothes or a rag rolled up to keep the driver...and my finger out of harms way.
So, my question is, once the surround is puctured, is the driver rendered useless? Or would it still work, but with air comming from the puncture?

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts