Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I just upgraded yesterday to the RX-V663 and the 7.1 is very new to me. I know this is a stupid question to the brillaint people on this forum but you should be able to give a a good answer.

I have the Boston Acustics MCS-100 Home Theater speakers so until I can get 2 more satelite speakers I'm connected 5.1. My question is which set of speaker do I eliminate for now? The surround or rhe back speakers?

Thank you,

David

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Re: Rx-v663

Hi David,

This is a common question and confusing to new people in your situation. I wish receiver manufacturers would make this point much clearer in the instructions.

For a 5.1 speaker setup on a receiver capable of doing 7.1 you leave the "rear" speaker terminals empty. Even if you use the surrounds on your back wall you use the "side" surround terminals.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts

I'll second Tony's suggestion ....if you use a 5.1, leave the surround back empty. When you go into the main setup just tell the AVR you'll be using a 5.1 instead of 7.1 to avoid any problem with autocalibration :yes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

That's how I have it set up. Do the side speaker and back speakers produce the same sound effects? Also I have not found the option for 5.1 anywhere. It just shows the speaker locations in the manual. So far, I really like the RX-V663. The local Bestbuy in Barboursville WV has the same Samsung BD-1500 blue ray and the RX-v663 set up for the in store surround sound demo's. the only differance is they have Polk Audio tower speakers and satelites. and it sounds amazing. I wish I could afford those polk audio speakers. My Boston Aucustics aren't too bad. I just need two more.

I also have two Optical Digital audio cables on order. Is this the best to use? My DVD only has Optical and Analog out but no Digital coax.

I appreciate all the transfer of knowledge.

David

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

Do the side speaker and back speakers produce the same sound effects? Also I have not found the option for 5.1 anywhere.
The rear and sides will have different information sent to them if you have them both hooked up however if your only using 5.1 the information will be sent to only the sides.
I also have two Optical Digital audio cables on order. Is this the best to use? My DVD only has Optical and Analog out but no Digital coax.

I appreciate all the transfer of knowledge.

David
If you dont have HDMI then optical is the best.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I am using HDMI. The optical out is for the audio. I didn't think the HDMI on the RX-V663 carried the audio. That's the way the Denon AVR-488 worked,

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
3,251 Posts

I am using HDMI. The optical out is for the audio. I didn't think the HDMI on the RX-V663 carried the audio. That's the way the Denon AVR-488 worked,
HDMI carries audio/video ...maybe you need to check the setting and be sure you assign HDMI to carry the audio; there's some AVR's that you have to use HDMI and optical/coax (I think is the case with the 488) but not with RXV663 (I own RXV 2700 and the HDMI carries both audio/video).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thank you,

I did not know the RX-V663 carries video and audio. So I don't need any other cables than the HDMI to connect?

Thanks,
David

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

If your device you have plugged into the receiver has a HDMI out then thats all you will need.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts

I did not know the RX-V663 carries video and audio. So I don't need any other cables than the HDMI to connect?
Yes, just be sure to use the correct settings on the AVR and input device (DVD, Cable/SAT, etc.) to get the audio through HDMI :yes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks,

I unpluged the analog cables last night and I have Video and Audio through the HDMI on the RX-V663.

Thanks Again..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Does anyone have a Speaker suggestion? $1,000+ per speaker isn't reasonable for me. Polk audio gets up there pretty quick. I have the 5.1 Boston Acustics system and thought getting a couple of floor standing front speakers would be a good way to move to 7.1.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
3,251 Posts

... I have the 5.1 Boston Acustics system and thought getting a couple of floor standing front speakers would be a good way to move to 7.1
That's a good idea ...visit Circuit City (now that they're closing maybe you can get a good deal) :yes:

What is the model of the system you have??? ...if they're small speakers, probably you'll be better buying a new system :whistling:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Keeping the front stage consistent is a good idea, so if you think about switching the fronts and surrounds of your current package to the sides and rears of a 7.1, then you should also consider investing in a center channel along with the floorstanders.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a Panasonic 56" rear projection LCD TV
Yamaha RX-V663
Samsung BD-1500
Boston Acustics MCS-100

I just bought the Boston Acustics around first of the year and they sound great. The Subwoofer does a grest job but I feel like I'm still missing rhe big speaker sound.

Thanks
David

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Your problem may be the size of your room, How large is it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the Room is 20' x 23' with entrance to the kitchen on one side and a opening to the otherside that leads to a middle hallway behind the system. I don't think the room is all that large. Barely big enough to use 7.1 surround.

Thx,
David

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I have a Panasonic 56" rear projection LCD TV
Yamaha RX-V663
Samsung BD-1500
Boston Acustics MCS-100

I just bought the Boston Acustics around first of the year and they sound great. The Subwoofer does a grest job but I feel like I'm still missing rhe big speaker sound.
Let's see if we can improve the sound ....

Does your RXV663 let you adjust the crossover to each speaker set (front+center+surrounds) or is just one crossover for everything???

Are you using 80Hz as XO frequency??? ...if the answer is yes, change that to 120Hz, that's the lowest your speakers can play (if you use less than 120Hz you'll have a gap between 80Hz-120Hz).

Sub is okay, but you're missing some audio. They're rated 45Hz-180Hz, and there's some movies that have audio to around 5/10Hz, I think you'll benefit from a sub that can play to at least 20Hz.

Can you still exchange the system??? ...if you do, try to get an Onkyo (5100, 6100 or 7100) their specifications are better than the one you have and it will sound a lot better.:yes:

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
the Room is 20' x 23' with entrance to the kitchen on one side and a opening to the otherside that leads to a middle hallway behind the system. I don't think the room is all that large.
That's a big space for the sub ...is rated 100 RMS, 45Hz-180Hz :yes:

My room is 9'x18'x8' closed and I was using two subs 150RMS each and 35Hz-180Hz, definetelly I think you need a bigger sub :hide:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts