Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Onkyo 626 7.1 receiver. I have been researching subwoofers. I will be installing 250 watt ceiling speakers and the room all this will be in is 15'x40'. I had been looking at the Onkyo subs, but pretty have decided on either the Polk psw505 or the Bic American F12 475 watt sub. Any reconmendation?:eek:lddude::eek:lddude:

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have an Onkyo 626 7.1 receiver. I have been researching subwoofers. I will be installing 250 watt ceiling speakers and the room all this will be in is 15'x40'. I had been looking at the Onkyo subs, but pretty have decided on either the Polk psw505 or the Bic American F12 475 watt sub. Any reconmendation?:eek:lddude::eek:lddude:
Since your budget seems to be around the 200 level you won't get much bang for your buck here; but there are a couple pretty decent performers for this piece. Many will tell you to just save until you can afford a more decent subwoofer but if you must stay at this price point I would recommend the:

HSU STF-1 - Goes for 309 and the step up is only a few dollars more.
Dayton Audio Sub-1200 - Goes for $100 at parts express.com right now so you could maybe swing two of them which would do wonders for smoother response.
Dayton Audio Sub-1500 - This is going for $170 on parts express right now as well.
Bic Pl-200 is a step up from the F-12 and I believe worth the extra cash, as it goes for just around $300. ( I owned the F-12, while performing well for the money, I wouldn't recommend it when you can spend a little more and up performance by a long shot.)

I wish I could offer more suggestions but with such a slim budget you don't have many options.
You can always try the used market place as well, deals can be found with patience.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,353 Posts
If your ceiling height is 8 feet you're looking at 4800 ft^3, which is far too large a space for any $200 subwoofer to even come close to filling. The two you mention would be so overwhelmed that it really wouldn't be worth spending the money on either.

jamesfrazier's suggestion of dual Sub-1200's or a single Sub-1500 are about the best options available to you. Realistically though, a pair of Sub-1500's is probably what you need.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts