Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed my 16 by 20 theater....pics posted soon.I don't know what to do for a sub.I would like to keep it around a thousand.Will an IB sub properly made give me the most bang for the buck?My fronts will be paradigm studio 100's and matching center and surrounds. I will also be doing some music listening as well.Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.THANKS:ponder:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike,I really don't know which way to go .I am not opposed to spending more,I just want to make the most educated decision I can.I have a space behind the back wall of the room that is 3 feet deep and runs the width of the room.That is why I thought of an IB design.Do you like an IB over anything else,if so what is the advantage?Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bryan,

A buddy of mine has the Fi 18" + the older EP2500 in a room about the same size as yours. Those things rock the house. Make sure when you build your manafold to fire the drivers at each other. His first version had them firing into the room. His ceiling joists were flexing like crazy from the force of the drivers. Once he changed them to fire into each other, no flexing or vibration.

I say definitely go with an IB over a ported/sealed sub design. The only way I can describe it is that the bass seems smoother and more natural -- not boomy. I have (4) SoundSplinter 15s in my 19 x 15 room and they rock. You feel the bass hit your entire body (no butt kickers needed in my room). When I bought mine, the 18s had not been released yet. If they had, I would have bought a pair of those and called it a day. You can't beat the price/performance ratio with IB and Fi.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts