Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm about to get someone to spray my screen with BW 5:1 (henry 558 and winter mist).....So I assume it needs to be cut with water correct?? (so it will spray out of the gun) Thanks in advance...Riff

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Yes it will. A good general rule of thumb is to dip a paint stick into the material and then remove it. Let the paint run off of it. As it drips you'd want a second between drips roughly. I believe you'll need about 30% water.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
If your friend is using a "conventional" spray gun (works at much higher pressure than a HVLP gun) he may need to thin even more than 30% with water. While I don't know that I could recommend thinning more than 40% as a general rule when spraying, I'll recount an early trial I did with this very mix (BW WM/HE558 5:1).

I had sprayed my test panels of Winter Mist/HE558 5:1 and Luminous White/HE558 4:1 when I got the idea of trying a REALLY thinned version of the 5:1 mix because of some super-thinned BW spray that hit the top of my workbench (covered with a piece of junk paneling) while I was cleaning my spray gun.

I thinned the 5:1 mix 100% with water! I adjusted the gun so that very little paint was coming out and turned up the pressure from 40 PSI at the gun to 50. The idea was to put on really thin coats since normal coats would run like they were late for work!

When checking the paint level in the cup I noticed that the paint was so thin there was a bright aluminum "scum" at the top; this was some of the aluminum coming out of solution to float on top of the mix. At that point I was concerned about the screen not being as reflective as the other BW panels I had done before, but when it was done, dried and cured it acted very much like the "regular" 5:1 panel; under PJ light you can't really tell them apart. Under room light, the "dry sprayed" panel was a bit darker, but you can only see the difference when they are side-by-side.

The point is, even if your friend has to thin the BW a lot to get it to spray through his system you should have a very nice screen. :T

1 - 3 of 3 Posts