Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I just completed my Mal-X sonotube build for HT use (the Mal-X delivers), have a 115W 10" sonotube which sounds good with music, although it's kind of weak, along with an almost new SVS cs12-nsd. I picked up a used 500W SVS bash amp and am thinking of building another sub, perhaps one for the garage where I do alot of tinkering on projects and have 2 plate speakers in sealed rough boxes with 5 1/4 mid/woofers. I'd like some ooomph out there since that seems to be where I can get away with some spl:demon: and don't think the 10" will suffice. A possibility is sell the cs12, then build another sonosub or box for the garage, and maybe give my 10" to a friend or family member. Yet another would be build a nice box/cabinet for inside (perhaps tuned for music only) and move the 10" sonotube to the garage. Take note that DIY Cable has the Shiva on sale for a short time...and is what spurred the ideas.

I have a table saw, router, etc for tools, but must do this on tight building budget, keeping in mind I have a 500W plate amp that has a selectable hpf at 12,16, 20, or 25Hz. I also have enough circles to build endcaps for a sonotube and can get a 14" inside dia tube 48" tall for $9, however, I figure the money I'd use buying a flared tube port would offset the cost of building a box with slot port. So, what to do??? :scratchhead: (this is where I'm asking for ideas...:bigsmile:) Of course, I could just sit back and relax for some time and keep what I have for awhile...:dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Shiva-X and a 500 watt Bash amp do make a nice combination........

:dunno:
That's what I've gathered from other's...seems a shame to have this nice amp sitting:whistling: I feel that I've got the sonotube building kinda down now. A bit curious to try a box. Looking at models, the Shiva seems to perform best in either a small sealed or large vented (no radiators considered). Since I've got the LLT, I guess I would either build this as another HT for someone else (not too sure I want to do that:dumbcrazy:) or for a music only sub, which is really where I'm leaning. I guess what I'm trying to consider is what type of enclosure and driver to best suit a garage placement...perhaps a wall mounted one to save space? Or even one that hangs out of the attic-access? Hmmm, that idea sounds interesting as I tend to leave it with the panel slid to the side (I think it vents better in this heat). Guess I'm brainstorming on-screen...any ideas Mike? Anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a build with this amp should be ported as the amp will have some peq'ing designed for the older SVS PB12plus subwoofer, it does have an adjustable hpf which is nice. Rather than a music only sub, could I build a PB12plus clone using the Shiva?:dunno: I'm thinking for RnR music almost exclusively, tune it higher for greater output, and use either 20 or 25hz for the hpf, eh?

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not familiar with the SVS amp but it sure sounds like an O-Audio clone. Is the EQ on the amp "cut only"?
The amp has an adj hpf on the plate for protection, but any additional eq'ing would be built in to the circuitry. I perused the SVS site and the newer 525W plate amps they use for the PB12 are supposedly proprietary, specifically designed for their driver/box configuration, so I've based this assumption on their info. Otherwise, it has no eq adjustments available.

One option for building I looked at is using a 14" ID tube 48" long from a local supplier for $9. I think my leftover circle from my Mal-X build can be salvaged for the needed wood, so it may be the most inexpensive route... My quick calculations give a gross volume of 4.1 ft^3, leaving a net volume of around 3.6 ft^3 after baseplates, driver and port are figured in. Would this be a good use of the driver/plate for music?
I guess my most needed question is what freq would I want to tune a music only sub for?

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
If it's for music only just go 3 cu.ft. sealed.
Really? :sneeky: Sounds too easy:unbelievable: I thought a ported enclosure would give more output where it counts...what would you say about using ixl12 like your past replacement project? It was in 3.5 ft^3 and ported (didn't think I knew about that one, eh?)

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks nice, plus I could use my existing materials with a single flared port and a nice set of terminals. Would that 'full-length' port be 17"? I can probably find 14" of floor space in the garage to add this kind of output.

The SVS amp has high level inputs that internally sum, but I've never used this type of input- if I use my old NAD receiver (supposedly 160W/ch), do I just run the 'A' speakers to the SVS amp with the output going to the mains? Or do I run the 'A' speakers to the mains and use the 'B's' to the SVS amp?

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Mike! I picked up the sonotube- it is substantially thicker than the flimsy one I used for the 10". I'm thinking of rebuilding the 10" for a Shiva- then figure out something for the 10"-scrap wood of useable size is getting scarce around here:rubeyes:, but I'll get it figured out soon! Perhaps I'll build a new box for the 10" using a slot port if I redo the tube...

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, 3.5 NET volume.
When looking at total cost with shipping for the Shiva, might either a Dayton or Peerless XLS driver prove to be a good performer for this music only sub for less $ (total of $176 vs $139 or $150)?

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cut From "pc20-39+ variable tuning"

""variable tuning"" is of interest to me as I will be building a similar sized sonotube with a Shiva-X. Can you tell me how you vary the tuning? Do you think I could do the same with my diy sub as I believe it will be of similar dimensions ie volume, at 14"x46" tube?

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: pc20-39+ variable tuning

Glen, if you have 3 ports and block 1 or 2 it will change the tuning frequency at the expense of port air speed.
Has anyone seen a diy sub use this technique successfully? I know SVS uses this on their high end subs, I guess the port air speed doesn't get too bad or else they wouldn't use the design, eh? I like to try new things:dumbcrazy: What do you think, Mike? Try using a two or three 3" ports for a Shiva?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts