Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

121 - 140 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ah, a 1020. I actually had one in the 80's, driving a Dynaco ST70. For the shelf, you could get a piece of maple cut the same length and depth as the current one, but 3/4" thick. Get it at a real lumber yard though, not Home Depot. I just had some Alder cut at HD for a small project, and the cuts were pathetic. Don't those guys take any pride in their work?!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ah, a 1020. I actually had one in the 80's, driving a Dynaco ST70. For the shelf, you could get a piece of maple cut the same length and depth as the current one, but 3/4" thick. Get it at a real lumber yard though, not Home Depot. I just had some Alder cut at HD for a small project, and the cuts were pathetic. Don't those guys take any pride in their work?!
I think i'm going to reinforce the bottom of the shelf with a 2x2 or 2x4 down the center, I should be able to hide it pretty well behind the back of the tv.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The shelf the Thorens is sitting on is bowed. The table really needs a straight shelf under it, and to be absolutely level, side-to-side and front-to-back. The amp next to it appears to be an NAD 3020, another classic.
You inspired me to fix this. I screwed a piece of angle iron to the bottom of the middle of the shelf. Also leveled everything perfectly using the nuts on the threaded rod. She's sitting perfectly flat and level now!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I picked up an SL-1200MKII a couple of years ago from a wannabe DJ for around $300. I swapped cartridges and got my Pickering 15/625 out of my SL20 and gave the SL-20 to my former wife with the AT cartridge that came in the SL1200.

I plan on upgrading to a Denon DL103 when I finish building a MC preamp.

No pictures at the moment as my system is torn apart while I'm building a console for my HT system to go in the den.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have three turntables.

Table 1, Basis Debut with a Graham Phantom tonearm and Lyra Titan cartridge

Table 2, Marantz TT-15s1 with stock Clearaudio Satisfy tonearm and Clearaudio Virtuoso cartridge.

Table 3, Rega P25 with stock RB600 tonearm and Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III cartridge.

The Marantz currently gets the most play time. Great table for the money. I recently acquired the Basis. It sounds incredible. I am saving that for when I build a dedicated room later this year. I don't currently use the Rega, but it's pretty :)

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I have three turntables. Table 1, Basis Debut with a Graham Phantom tonearm and Lyra Titan cartridge Table 2, Marantz TT-15s1 with stock Clearaudio Satisfy tonearm and Clearaudio Virtuoso cartridge. Table 3, Rega P25 with stock RB600 tonearm and Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo III cartridge. The Marantz currently gets the most play time. Great table for the money. I recently acquired the Basis. It sounds incredible. I am saving that for when I build a dedicated room later this year. I don't currently use the Rega, but it's pretty :)
Nice collection! Any personal experience with the RB300 and how it compares with your 600? How about between the Evo III and original BPS? Just curious, as I used the 300 with BPS on my first upscale 'table (VPI JW-19 Jr).

Sent from my iPad using HTShack

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice collection! Any personal experience with the RB300 and how it compares with your 600? How about between the Evo III and original BPS? Just curious, as I used the 300 with BPS on my first upscale 'table (VPI JW-19 Jr).

Sent from my iPad using HTShack
The RB600 and RB300 are pretty much the same arm. The wiring was upgraded in the 600 and it is supposedly built to higher tolerances.
Unfortunately I haven't listened to the original BPS. I like the EVO III. It has very detailed top end with a tight punchy bottom. Out of all the cartridges I have owned this one had the biggest change in sound during it's break in. I almost removed it after installing it. At first it was very bright and harsh. After about 5 records things calmed down quite a bit and continued to get better from there. I have a 2mm shim on my Rega arm to bring the VTA closer to level, but the arm still sits a bit low. I would like to some day play with it to dial in the VTA better, but it's such a pain to do with the Rega.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
The RB600 and RB300 are pretty much the same arm. The wiring was upgraded in the 600 and it is supposedly built to higher tolerances. Unfortunately I haven't listened to the original BPS. I like the EVO III. It has very detailed top end with a tight punchy bottom. Out of all the cartridges I have owned this one had the biggest change in sound during it's break in. I almost removed it after installing it. At first it was very bright and harsh. After about 5 records things calmed down quite a bit and continued to get better from there. I have a 2mm shim on my Rega arm to bring the VTA closer to level, but the arm still sits a bit low. I would like to some day play with it to dial in the VTA better, but it's such a pain to do with the Rega.
Thanks for the arm comparison; I haven't kept up as much as I'd like. And I could never really tame my BPS of its brightness. The "special" in its name used to refer to its naked coil (I.e. no cartridge body). Is that still true? Either way, it's a great cartridge. My system's sound tilted way toward the analytical side at the time, so the BPS kind of pushed it over the edge for me. I'd be comfortable with it today, though. There are hobbyists who stress over VTA so far as to adjust it for each album; or at least when changing between regular (a.k.a. 140gm) and audiophile-grade 180/200gm thicknesses. Does it make a difference? Yes, of course, but the effect of raising/lowering the back of the arm also has an effect on stylus rake angle. Very large VTA changes are needed to change SRA even slightly. It can be just as effective to change tracking force or add headshell weight. I'm the set-and-forget type. They say the difference is in midrange warmth vs. high frequency clarity. Azimuth is the game changer. Sent from my iPad using HTShack

·
Registered
361 Posts
Entry Music Hall mmf-2.2 w/ stock Goldring Elektra cartridge.
This wasn't my finest moment in a used purchase, because the motor is very noisy and sometimes needs a push of the platter to get it moving. The cartridge has a generic replacement stylus and I'm not sure it is conical or eliptical, so I'd like to replace it with a Grado Black.
A replacement motor is $50 and a Grado cartridge is $100, so I'm using my turntable as it is until the motor dies completely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Turntable - Ariston RD 80 SL, with dampened steel - an old scotish hehehehe (1983)
Arm - Roksan Tabriz with the special phono kit cables, because at that time I had an Audio-Technica AT-OC7 and was in de balanced wagon - old... (1992)
Cartridge - Sumiko Blue Point nr 2 - not so old (2010)

EDIT: I can't seem to be able to link a photo of my set. I'm using the

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
AR XB; custom plinth, modified tonearm, dampened pulley, deer hide mat, Grado G1....

I had the xb too. It was a fine sounding turntable with lots of PRaT that made you feet want to dance. Sold it because the sprung suspension made the tonearm skip easily, and I wasn't willing to mount it on the wall because I didn't have a dedicated room for my stereo.

121 - 140 of 148 Posts