Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

141 - 148 of 148 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
And the old standby: the Technics SL-1200 Mk2, substitute the Jelco SA-750D 'arm with the Ammonite Acoustics mounting collar and Magna Audio eboby armboard, slip on a Zu Denon DL-103 standard or a Soundsmith Ruby retipped DL-103 in an ebony body, a van den Hul Silver Hybrid phono cable, an SDS Isoplat mat topped with a Herbie's Way Excellent II, and off you go . . .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some great units but best of all they are all still giving pleasure. Back in '70s built a kit TT using AR belt drive (I think) TT with a 12" Shure arm & cartridge on a solid base. Sounded great. Was finally replaced with an Oracle TT, belt drive, that uses, I think, the flywheel of a small Japanese car as a platter & has an external motor supply. Hangs on adjustable springs in 3 towers. Dismantled a SEAC tone arm in the "90s & rewired with single strand OFC wire, took 5 hrs. Sits on an adjustable base & have spent weeks setting overhang etc with special gauges till it sounded just right. The Decca reference cartridge was acquired used for next to nothing & the Garrott brothers (RIP) who were friends & lived up the road rewired the coils under a binocular microscope with OFC wire, fitted a hand cut Shibata diamond stylus (the grain runs along the stylus for virtually no wear) & then tuned it. An eccentric Hi Fi guru, Rohan McCombe (RIP), also a friend & somewhat well known back in the day, built a preamp for it. Suddenly some of my favourite albums sounded like the artists finally got it right on take 32 & just wanted to get some sleep. Other albums were so awesome that several of us swear we saw god (& that was before lighting up). Just got a Jungson class A solid state amp & an upgraded Lavry DA converter to use with the modded Technics cd player that plays cd's on a platter like a record. Haven't had time to hook it all up as moved house recently but am hoping to see god again before I'm RIP, almost 50 yrs of audio fooling about!
Cheers all, Harry

·
Registered
17 Posts
No picture at hand (new laptop) but I'm using a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Gloss Blue) with the Ortofon 2M Red cartridge that came pre-mounted. I was running it through a Pro-Ject Phono Box Pre-Amp to a Yamaha Aventage receiver, but I've since purchased an Onkyo receiver with a built-in phono input, so it's now running directly into the receiver. That said, I'm holding onto the Phono Box because I don't think I'll be keeping the Onkyo for too long. It was a last minute purchase that was needed to accommodate a new 4k display (the Aventage didn't support 4k). It (the receiver) is a bare bones model that I'm less than thrilled with. That said, a phono input will be one of the top things I'll look for when shopping to replace the Onkyo.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Pics of my TT

Main-2.jpg

Main-1.jpg

141 - 148 of 148 Posts