Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of diffuser goes on the back wall? In other words, what frequencies will I build for, low to high?

http://www.mh-audio.nl/DiffusorCalculator.asp

The front wall is 3" rockwool, sides will be with rockwool as well as ceiling. 1/2 of the back wall is 3" rockwool.

Dimensions of room, 8 ' ceiling, 12 feet wide, 20' in depth.

Thanks!

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
What is the room going to be used for? HT? 2 channel? Studio? I assume HT?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Home Theater

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Up there is's more for flutter echo so I would build for higher frequencies.
What's considered higher frequencies?

Also, would it be a better idea to move the absorption panel to the top and put the diffuser at the 2/3rd's spot? If so, would I build diffuser for different frequencies?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How far behind my AT screen should my speakers be? 2"? 6"?

·
Premium Member
5,783 Posts
Are you leaving the garage door as functional? We stuffed ours with insulation, and screwed it together to stop it from vibrating. We also built a fake wall up in front of it and stuffed it with insulation.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you leaving the garage door as functional? We stuffed ours with insulation, and screwed it together to stop it from vibrating. We also built a fake wall up in front of it and stuffed it with insulation.
Yes, it will be functional.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Up there is's more for flutter echo so I would build for higher frequencies.
What do you consider "higher" frequencies? Is it 500 to 20K?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Flutter echo I would say about 800 and up.
ha! You don't know who you're dealing with. 800 means a lot to me, but what does "on up" mean? LOL Do you mean I should make a diffuser that handles 800 to 20,000?

I have 20" x 8' of space to work with. How many diffusor panels do you think I need? Should I fill up the space? Should each panel handle a different range or should all the panels be identical?

Thanks for your help. This is getting fairly exciting. haha

·
Premium Member
5,783 Posts
ha! You don't know who you're dealing with. 800 means a lot to me, but what does "on up" mean? LOL Do you mean I should make a diffuser that handles 800 to 20,000?
I believe that is what Bryan meant.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
You won't get a well type diffuser to cover that wide a range without breaking some rules of design. A Poly-cylindrical diffuser can do that wide range though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts