Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the final stages of finishing my third painted sub... I have been using all types and brands of paint... I do not have access to a HVLP spray gun and have to resort to rattle can aerosol paints...

I have used Rustoleum Lacquer, Rustoleum acrylic lacquer, Valspar lacquer, Rustoleum enamel and Rustoleum Automotive enamel, all with differing results.

Lacquers take too long to cure, maybe a month or more before sanding. Otherwise the paint comes off in chunks instead of a fine dust when sanding. The mist gets everywhere and it's a real pain to clean. Plus it runs rather easily.

Rustoleum enamels dry quickly and can be sanded after a day or two, but spraying can leave "dry" spots where the paint appears to dry before hitting the surface, leaving a gritty, coarse surface.

I find that I can get the most consistent results with the Rustoleum Automotive enamel. It sprays on pretty evenly, it is run-resistant. The only drawback is that it is only available in gloss black, white or red. The other note is that it takes a bit longer to fully dry than their regular enamel, about two-four days depending on the humidity. Maybe that's why I get smoother results with it.

Your experiences?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Rustoluem Professional Enamel worked really awesome. You just have to get the right technique. practice on some scrap first. Don't over spray or it will get runs, hold the can even.

you can get a solid hard look that looks like it came from the factory if you have the surface prepped will.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Rustoleum Automotive enamel. It sprays on pretty evenly, it is run-resistant. The only drawback is that it is only available in gloss black, white or red.

Can you find anymore colors online or is that all that is manufactured ? I agree with your frustration on the Rustoleum Professional enamel. It can be tricky

·
Registered
762 Posts
This was rustoleum professional black enamel the tall silver can. Here's the deal. You want nice paint out of a spray can. You need a spectacular prep job. Thick primers are the key. Prime prime and primer again. Make sure there is no imperfections before applying any type of finish coat. No nicks deep scratches seams screw hole nothing! Then once that is done you need to degrease with a prep solvent. After that wipe the areas to be painted with a tack rag. It's a mesh rag with a sticky resin on it to pick up dust particles. Then your need to be inside a garage or something of that nature with very little dirt in the air and air movement that will stir things up. Spray even coats with about 8-10 mins bettween each coat. Applying two to three coats depending on how heavy your applying them. Once you have it the way you want it. Walk away for a few hours. The less you are moving around it the less things will get stirred up or fall in it. I personally paint cars for a living. While this seems pretty cut and dry good paint jobs come with much practice. Whoever recommended practicing on some scrap had the idea. Take a piece if scrap and prep it the same exact way you did the boxes and paint it first. That should indicate what kind of results you'll get and give you some practice. If you like what you see just repeat. If you have any questions along the way don't hesitate to ask.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts