Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

What upgrades are you planning in 2016

6K views 46 replies 26 participants last post by  NBPk402 
#1 ·
I just got over the upgrade bug and finished the year off with a 60" LG 4K UF7700 New Klipsch fronts and center plus Sub and Yamaha Receiver. I am currently looking at new entertainment shelves as mine is a little long in the tooth for recent upgrades. Curious to see what others are planning to upgrade or update.

#2 ·
Current setup:

Panasonic p65st50
Marantz 5007
Focal 807v fronts
Focal 800v center
Niles mp5 surrounds
Sunfire hrs 12 sub x2
Oppo 103
PS4
DirecTV genie

I am looking to upgrade, I just don't know what or where to start really.

I could use a little more power for the fronts, though they are only bookshelves. The Focal's sound great with the sunfire's for low end.

The Niles mp5's are ok. They are mounted in wall, about a high on the wall, behind my sitting area. I'm limited by the available space in my walls for upgrades.

A new AVR seems like a good place to start. The 5007 is nice, but a newer version of Audyssey would be helpful (room shape has challenges).

The OPPO is incredible, though I got mine just prior to the darbee edition version.

...I'm going to do something, I just don't know where to prioritize my resources. I do the best I can to get the most bang for my buck.

#6 ·
Not planning on any upgrades in 2016, as I did them all in 2015.

#10 ·
Funny thing that upgrade bug. I wanted to go Atmos so I started with the Yamaha and Atmos speakers thinking that was that. Boy was I wrong....lol.

#11 ·
No budget for any big upgrades... I would like to get a better "rack" built for my equipment... one that allows easier access to the back of things vs the current setup where access to the back involves trying to slide the equipment around and using a mirror.

If something changes and I magically get more "spare cash" I want to switch over to a projector/screen, but that involves a lot more than just putting in those 2 items as you all know.

No real interest in Atmos yet... I've been trying to avoid thinking about it.

#42 ·
No budget for any big upgrades... I would like to get a better "rack" built for my equipment... one that allows easier access to the back of things vs the current setup where access to the back involves trying to slide the equipment around and using a mirror. If something changes and I magically get more "spare cash" I want to switch over to a projector/screen, but that involves a lot more than just putting in those 2 items as you all know. No real interest in Atmos yet... I've been trying to avoid thinking about it.
Funny to look back at this after just about finishing my current project.

What has actually happened so far is: double doors into the room became a wall, new doorway was created, built a riser, got 3 new home theater seats, and added a HTPC to the setup!

#15 ·
Probably install 4 ATMOS speakers. As I already have Goldenear Triton Ones I will go with HTR 7000 for ATMOS install. For ATMOS I will need new Preamp. Thinking about Marantz 8802a. But will wait until Audyssey announce upgraded room correction package due sometime in 2016.

Sent from my iPad using HTShack

#16 ·
I'm adding 2 Mariana Deep Sea Sound 24" subwoofers with 4K amps, 4 Atlantic Technology Armos ceiling speakers, a Yamaha Atmos enabled receiver, and possibly a new 4 k Blu ray player, IF there's enough software and the price is reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using HTShack

#17 ·
I just added a sub (PSA XV15SE) and had my other fixed (Sunfire True Sub), so I'm pretty good there. Love the dual subs. Even though these two might not seem to pair well on paper, they work great for me. I listen to a lot of metal, and the Sunfire gives more mid bass punch while the PSA goes deeper for movies. I also have an Emotiva XPA-5 on the way (tomorrow hopefully!) to replace two much older amps (one with a decent turn on "thump"). Sometime in 2016 I want a new pre/pro or receiver plus possibly a 4K player. I don't really see me going past 5.1, but I probably will get something Atmos related so I can get plenty of pre-outs, dual sub outs, and hopefully platinum Audyssey. I'm hoping something like a souped up Outlaw 975 type pre-pro comes out - moderate price ($1000-1200) without a ton of features I won't use.

#20 ·
I just upgraded my fronts from klipsch KLF 20s to klipsch KLF 30s, I upgraded my avr to the denon avr-x6200w for atmos and dts-x 7.1.4. I ordered a pair of klipsch atmos enabled speakers, and I may order another set soon. I would like to add another subwoofer to get to the lower frequencies that my Cambridge soundworks psw1 master and slave set can't produce.

#21 ·
I just upgraded my projector to a Panasonic AE-8000U a few weeks ago, as a friend down the street upgraded his to a Sony 4K.

The only upgrades I really see this year are finally getting around to having some cool minimalist movie poster artwork I have printed onto fabric and fashioning them into art/acoustic panels. Oh, and new carpet at some point. Oh, and I'd love to find a great sectional to use as my front row and move my theater seats back onto the riser. Oh, and.........and.........and.......

#41 ·
Hello All- New member and my first post here. I came across this thread so thought I would share my 2016 upgrade plans for my 1st projector set-up. We purchased our current house 2-years ago that included a "somewhat" finished basement so I'm working on a new buildout using some of the existing in an effort to save a buck or 2 that can go towards upgrading my gear. Don't tell the wife. ?. The room had an existing drop ceiling so I pulled it insulated and painted the tiles to reduce reflection- I'll create a post to the theater build thread with more details. A couple pics below regardless.

My upgrades for 2016 as part of my new build:

Sony HW55ES
Oppo 103D
Screen: Undecided but leaning towards Stewart Cima Neve 123"
Processor: Undecided- Emotiva or Marantz
Amps: Undecided- waiting for the release of Emotiva Gen-3s (hope this happens soon as I'm about ready to purchase)

I'll also need a new sub that can shake a concrete slab now that I'll be in the basement. I welcome any feedback.

Attachments

#45 ·
New house with finished basement - oh where to start...

#46 ·
No disassemble, Stefanie!

Some of you know I've been contemplating tearing down my 2-ch He Man Rig for a while now. That diabolical scheme has come to fruition, and am now faced with selling or trading for HT gear. Well, the going prices for my Revel Salons are disappointing, and I can't really fathom absorbing the accelerated depreciation I've seen this past year or two. So guess what? I'm keeping them! Out go the B&W CM-9 towers and CM-2 S2 Centre speakers (in shiny HT white, of course). In comes a shiny new B-Stock Revel Voice! The surrounds are now seriously outclassed, so if anyone feels sorry for me please send donations to my address of record!

Another sneak peak: Out of The Green Room into (drum roll, please)... a bigger small room (until we move, like Philm63 above). Extras? Seating capacity increases from 1 to 2 (lol)!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.