Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read Sonnie's BFD installation guidelines but need to better understand how to control volume once bfd filters are loaded without changing input levels. Can I increase volume using avr or only use volume control on the sub and if I want to increase volume of main speakers then I would use avr volume control. I just need to better understand the rules.

cheers
Dwight

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I just need to better understand the rules
Before you inserted a BFD between your AVR and sub, you simply set up the balance between all your speakers and sub with the AVR trim controls and AVR test tones. Then your master volume of the AVR was your main volume control.

The situation hasn't changed much after inserting a BFD, other than you should not disturb the setting you set on the AVR sub trim because you may cause clipping or low level inputs into the BFD. So, use the subwoofers own amplifier volume to balance levels rather than the AVR sub trim.

brucek

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Brucek

Regarding the pre bfd installation I followed what you outlined. I then installed the bfd and increased avr subtrim to +3 so bfd vu meter would occasionally blink yellow at max listening volume level. I needed to turn up avr volume after installing BFD filters as volume was too low. I did not change the sub trim and it remains at +3. I just increased avr volume. Is this correct ?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steven
Yeah that's my problem once I set the filters I want to increase volume as it is too low. If I increase avr volume then this will distort my input levels used for bfd filters.
I am just looking for the right process to keep input levels intact.

cheers
Dwight

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I needed to turn up avr volume after installing BFD filters as volume was too low. I did not change the sub trim and it remains at +3. I just increased avr volume. Is this correct ?
Yeah, when the AVR sub trim is first set to just have the red led blinking once in a while, it's without any filters in the BFD. Subsequent to installing filters, this volume may now be too low since a peak may have been tamed in the system. Simply turn up the AVR sub trim to return to the level that causes an occasional red blink at the loudest you might ever play your system. Then if you run your AVR test tones and find you want more or less sub balance compared to the mains, then use the subs own amplifier volume.

brucek

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got it

thanks
brucek

1 - 7 of 7 Posts