Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been playing around with sub postioning and eq'ing.

If I place the sub in the front of the room, I can get an almost perfect +-2 dB response all the way down to 18hz, but only with rather big eq cuts. The only problem is that in seats 2 or 3, the response kinda sucks. Because of eq, I am getting a huge peak at 40hz.

If I place the sub in the back of the room, I get a pretty nice response. I do get a slight dip in the 22-25hz range (about 4-5 dB), which I hate to look at, but besides that, I am flat all the way down to 18hz. The good thing about placing the sub in the rear, is I get a pretty even response in all three seating positions, and I also get increased headroom by about 2-3 dB.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
What would you prefer? Good average or perfect sweet spot?
That depends, do you watch allot of movies with other people? Then a good average would be the best. However I would not worry about the small dip at 25Hz as they really wont effect what you feel during the movie.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am leaning toward placing it in the back, because although I mostly sit in the sweet spot, I do sit in the other seats 20% of the time. Thanks for the feedback on the 22-25hz range. It just looks ugly compared to the rest of the response, but it is not like it drops off below 25hz. Once it hits 20hz-18hz, it picks right back up. I guess when I compare it to some of the graphs I see, 5dB really isn't that much of a dropoff.

·
Banned
440 Posts
That depends, do you watch allot of movies with other people? Then a good average would be the best. However I would not worry about the small dip at 25Hz as they really wont effect what you feel during the movie.
I would agree under some strange circumstances but I’d have to disagree in partially in the case of Planet of the Apes :bigsmile: (2001) chapter 3 has deep low end rumble on the split-surrounds I think its around 25Hz?

This is rare and is still slowly becoming the norm of things with stereo surrounds while in the days before was mealy used for (atmospheric ambient sound effects) today they are being pushed further. They could at times easily have just as much low end content than the LFE.1.

Pulse (2006) displaces low end in one scene over the LCRS and LFE.1 with random narrow spikes around 18Hz 20Hz 25Hz 30Hz I can’t remember off the top without looking at spectrumlab frequency response.

·
Banned
440 Posts
Just popped off to find the spectrumlab graphs I took earlier this year. Wicked low end support lousy film.:gah::bigsmile:

As to the sweet spot no such thing here because a few inches to feet over to right its nice. But then again the left has its nice spots. So it doesn’t totally cater for the needs without some form of compromising issue.

Low end down to the lowest covers okay with uniform range. Moving up though the low end register it starts to drop off a bit along with a few peaks.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I watch alot of movies with friends and family and prefer the sound to be smooth over a larger area so I use 3 subs. I found that it really helped even things out.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
I demo my system quite a lot, and I would definetly favour the placement that give the best response over a larger area. No good having a perfect sweetspot when 3 of your friends think it sucks...
:rofl: Wow, I like the straight shooting advice. I think its hard to recommend a decision like this (I can't and won't). I think that you'll listen to it, move it, and decide yourself what you want. I'm still smiling about this quote:bigsmile:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts