Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

101 - 120 of 405 Posts

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
The Audio Research is a great DAC. I went from a Theta to Bryston BDA-1 and next BDA-2. There are so many great DAC's out there. Like anyone in this hobby your always wondering what's better.

Interesting about the Marantz. Wonder how the Sony is fairing.

I have a question, do you think your Flac files sound better than the same CD played through your DAC?
I have a Sonos and a Parasound zDAC in the bedroom system - far less expensive than the stuff in the big rig, but it's a great combo. In all honesty, with 16/44 material, the difference in sound quality is very subtle. For just under $500, the little zDAC is terrific.

I'd expect Sony's Z1ES player to be an excellent device and I'd bet a month's pay that it isn't plagued with the same shortcoming the NA7004 has/had.

I ripped my CDs to WAVE files - don't really care about metadata. I just wanted the files on disk ready for creating my own CDs. Of course, that was an issue a few years ago, but it isn't anymore - have an iPod as a source in my car now (and play straight from thumb-drives in the other vehicles). To answer your question, yes, I honestly think playing the files betters the sound quality of playing the CDs. It's not the DAC - I've routed a digital output from my universal player to the DAC7 for an apples to apples comparison as you mentioned. I take it you made the same observation. It surprised me.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a Sonos and a Parasound zDAC in the bedroom system - far less expensive than the stuff in the big rig, but it's a great combo. In all honesty, with 16/44 material, the difference in sound quality is very subtle. For just under $500, the little zDAC is terrific.

I'd expect Sony's Z1ES player to be an excellent device and I'd bet a month's pay that it isn't plagued with the same shortcoming the NA7004 has/had.

I ripped my CDs to WAVE files - don't really care about metadata. I just wanted the files on disk ready for creating my own CDs. Of course, that was an issue a few years ago, but it isn't anymore - have an iPod as a source in my car now (and play straight from thumb-drives in the other vehicles). To answer your question, yes, I honestly think playing the files betters the sound quality of playing the CDs. It's not the DAC - I've routed a digital output from my universal player to the DAC7 for an apples to apples comparison as you mentioned. I take it you made the same observation. It surprised me.
I am using Flac files and a thumb drive for the car. I also invested Cowan 120g hard drive that would play Flac files that I would stream in the car. Back to the using iPod now the Cowan sick. When I just listen to portable files I run everything through an iqube amp. I sent the $400 for the new pono player so will see.

I have the big rig. The other systems nothing special DAC wise. I use the DAC in my Onkyo PR-5508 with Denon blue ray and a Wadia 170. Thinking about the Oppo 105. Another home theater with a Denon receiver and blue ray. Couple of 2 channel systems along with a B&W Zeppelin.

I had a couple of audiophile friends over in an uncontrolled test. We went back and forth between the Flac files and CD Disc during which everyone preferred the Flac files. I'm using dbpoweramp to rip the CD's. I wondering because it's ripped at the highest setting and verified if the files are tweaked ever so slightly. I guess I'm enjoying computer audio.LOL!

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I'm using dbpoweramp to rip the CD's. I wondering because it's ripped at the highest setting and verified if the files are tweaked ever so slightly. I guess I'm enjoying computer audio.LOL!
I also use dbpoweramp for secure rips - might be something to that. I'm really enjoying computer audio too, especially since getting it out of my computer. It's the greatest thing since sliced bread. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
237 Posts
I also use dbpoweramp for secure rips - might be something to that. I'm really enjoying computer audio too, especially since getting it out of my computer. It's the greatest thing since sliced bread. :bigsmile:
Nice!!!

Different topic but I gave my son his Sennhieser HD650 when I purchased my HD800.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
If you get tired of the HD800's I always wanted to be adopted.
He won't get tired of them. It worked the other way 'round here. I got my daughter a pair of 800s and she gave me her 590s - the 800s are outstanding. I don't really use headphones, but it hasn't always been that way. I bought a pair of Stax Lambda earspeakers in the mid-80s - still have them, but they are boxed up in the closet of currently unused gear. ESL 'headphones' are outstanding, but I really wanted a pair of ESL speakers when I got them (You can't always get what you want).

Currently playing:

Ian Anderson - 'Homo Erraticus'
WAVE rip via a music server 'appliance' (BDP-1)

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
I have the Sennheiser HD600 earphones and I use them quite a bit. They are very comfortable and sound great.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Pandora has been playing almost all day.
Early on we played the Chris Daughtry station, then the Sci-Fi and Fantasy Film station, and now I am listening to the Starsailor station.
Good stuff.

·
Registered
237 Posts
He won't get tired of them. It worked the other way 'round here. I got my daughter a pair of 800s and she gave me her 590s - the 800s are outstanding. I don't really use headphones, but it hasn't always been that way. I bought a pair of Stax Lambda earspeakers in the mid-80s - still have them, but they are boxed up in the closet of currently unused gear. ESL 'headphones' are outstanding, but I really wanted a pair of ESL speakers when I got them (You can't always get what you want). Currently playing: Ian Anderson - 'Homo Erraticus' WAVE rip via a music server 'appliance' (BDP-1)
My son already has dibs on my 2 channel system.

When I met my wife she had a Sherwood receiver, Rectilinear speakers and a Thornes TT. We married and she was always interested in music. She still goes to many concerts but as fas as listen goes, the tuner at low volume is fine. She like her IPod and Emotive earbuds. She hate's the subwoofer in the home theater and I always play the home theater to loud. Few weeks ago I got new speakers for the 2 channel rig. She came down one evening and asked how I like them. She briefly listen said they sound good and I'm going to bed can you turn it down. So goes the headphones.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
When I first got the sub my wife would always mention she could feel it.
This was not a positive comment.
I don't know if she finally got used to it or just quit complaing but I hardly hear anything about it anymore.
She reads in bed and once she retires to the bedroom I turn the volume down or use the headphones.
In general she thinks I play everything loud.

·
Registered
237 Posts
When I first got the sub my wife would always mention she could feel it. This was not a positive comment. I don't know if she finally got used to it or just quit complaing but I hardly hear anything about it anymore. She reads in bed and once she retires to the bedroom I turn the volume down or use the headphones. In general she thinks I play everything loud.
LOL! Sounds like my wife! However she still complains about the subwoofer.

I guess that's why the different headphones. Once this hobby gets in the blood it sometimes hard to control!

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
LOL! Sounds like my wife! However she still complains about the subwoofer.

I guess that's why the different headphones. Once this hobby gets in the blood it sometimes hard to control!
Well, eventually, my wife 'made me' build a dedicated room in a separate structure. Now, I can listen to the music the way I want and not disturb her (or anyone else). :bigsmile:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well, eventually, my wife 'made me' build a dedicated room in a separate structure. Now, I can listen to the music the way I want and not disturb her (or anyone else). :bigsmile:
I have the man cave in the basement it's still not far enough away from the bedrooms. It was never fixed up the way I want it. It was one of the kids playrooms. The other room next to it has a home theater where the kids played XBox, play station. My wife now uses it to work out in. We are going to move once my son leaves. We are hoping to build and then I'll have a proper 2 channel room.

I'll get back on track,
Band of Horses Acoustic Live Flac
Big Head Todd & the Monsters, Black Beehive Flac
Moe, No Guts,No Glory Flac

DSC_0186 - Copy.JPG

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I have the man cave in the basement it's still not far enough away from the bedrooms. It was never fixed up the way I want it. It was one of the kids playrooms. The other room next to it has a home theater where the kids played XBox, play station. My wife now uses it to work out in. We are going to move once my son leaves. We are hoping to build and then I'll have a proper 2 channel room.
My, oh my! I see Legacy Aeris loudspeakers, quite a bit of Bryston hardware and a BAT device on top. You certainly have a proper 2-channel system for a proper 2-channel room. I was going to jokingly inquire if you had a BHA-1 - question answered. *

My daughter has a Schitt Valhalla for her 800s.

---

I just finished correcting an error I made on my DIY rack - I made the cutouts in the drop-in panels bigger (were not sufficient for my power cords). I'm listening to Omnia - 'Alive!' in the usual way. :)

*edit*
Wait, I see that you have equipment listed. Those are Legacy Focus SE loudspeakers and now I know which BAT device that is.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My, oh my! I see Legacy Aeris loudspeakers, quite a bit of Bryston hardware and a BAT device on top. You certainly have a proper 2-channel system for a proper 2-channel room. I was going to jokingly inquire if you had a BHA-1 - question answered. * My daughter has a Schitt Valhalla for her 800s. --- I just finished correcting an error I made on my DIY rack - I made the cutouts in the drop-in panels bigger (were not sufficient for my power cords). I'm listening to Omnia - 'Alive!' in the usual way. :) *edit* Wait, I see that you have equipment listed. Those are Legacy Focus SE loudspeakers and now I know which BAT device that is.
No longer Focus SE. They are the Aeris. Worth the upgrade and I can even make a poor recording sound decent. LOL!

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
No longer Focus SE. They are the Aeris. Worth the upgrade and I can even make a poor recording sound decent. LOL!
Okay, I thought I recognized them. I seriously thought about buying a demo pair at the conclusion of an AXPONA event, but... Anyway, my memory was that the Focus has a more conventional enclosure - glad to learn that I'm not losing it.

If the thread can tolerate another photo or two, I'll return the favor with a shot of the current layout. I moved the Pass X150 (rear channel amp) from the upper center to the upper right shelf - distancing it from the turntable that's back in the cave. I also moved the Acurus preamp (for remote subwoofer volume control in the 2-channel realm) one shelf to the right of its former location atop the crossover, which is now the home of the phono preamp. The universal player, the BDP-1, the HDMI switch and yet another Amazon Fire TV now occupy the lower left shelf and the ARC DAC moved up a shelf. The main amp isn't going anywhere. :bigsmile: The object on the lower, far right shelf is a clock.

IMG_0857.JPG

Here's a photo that shows the drop-in panels which enclose the dedicated circuits in the floor - helping to keep my signal cables separated from my power cables as much as possible.

IMG_0825.JPG

I'm not ignoring the focus of this thread. Here's what's playing on the turntable.

Brian Auger's Oblivion Express - 'A Better Land'

·
Registered
237 Posts
Very nice.....now that's what I need. Your room looks great along with your equipment!!! I hope to have something similar room wise when I finally move......and that's still to be determined.

101 - 120 of 405 Posts