Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys new to the forum. new to home theater. set up my home theater twice now. made new adjustments to the new setup which is now in my living room due to space requirements. last setup was in the garrage. Now i have a new projector, new center channel basically new facelift all of course in my budget.

I want to get with like minded individuals to learn the technical aspects of this hobby and just maybe I will learn something new everyday.

I love the way my system sounds now but Im sure to the trained ear It can get better. or maybe I can just adjust the settings which Im excited to do in the future. I will post shots of the setup. its all DIY and I do say that im a bit proud of myself its been a dream of mine since 2000 to have one of my own. now that i have obtained that goal twice its time to start understanding the ins and outs. instead of just having one. hope to hear feed back from everyone on here. can't wait! CHEERS!:T:

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Have fun. Dennis

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Welcome welcome welcome....:wave:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
overwhelmed with the welcomes! thanks alot guys! eager to learn better techniques to improving what I already have setup. when budget permits and the CFO ( wife approves ) haha! take a look at what I have guys and give me your opinions!

Also,
:eek:lddude:
if you know the technical side of things:bigsmile: please give me your professional opinion. I'm all ears:nerd:!!!

I have been trying to :scratch:tinker with the MCCAC for pioneer and basically hit a wall!:huh: I know these speakers that I currently own have potential and I want to believe the Reciever that I have is decent enough to push but for some odd reason the Ears tell me another story. suggstions would be highly appreciated:dontknow:!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Jqueen! I know kind of makes me wish that i joined before juming in on things! oh well you learn by experience trial and error! hey congrats on the little one.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Welcome!!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
If the sound that you're hearing doesn't seem "right," the problem could be speaker placement. Room correction can help...to a point. How do you have the speakers/sub positioned in the room?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gary,

thanks for the feedback. I have my setup with the two towers approximately 10 ft apart and angled at around 45 deg angle pointing towards the center listening position. with the sub on the right side of the screen. then
for the back I have the surround towers as the back speakers directly on the back wall facing towards the screen and then the polks as SL/SR 2 ft above the ears with the bi pole settings.

now since my center is a powered center speaker will this interfere with my main sub. I actually have a port for lfe on the Center which is not connected so i just used the speaker cable connected with jumpers to power the subs i believe.

should i just utilize the jumpers or use an rca cable into the LFE jack?

now I used what i could at the time with my budget so would speaker cable interfere with the output of sound. some are different size. :doh:

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I think that I would leave the center "as-is" and run it full-range. I checked online, and the speaker is -3 dB at ~45Hz; I'd probably set the crossover at ~50Hz or so. Many people will NOT like this recommendation as 80Hz is a very popular (and THX approved) crossover point for subwoofers; I set-up all of my speakers to take full advantage of their frequency response. There's also an adjustment for the center's "subwoofer" level; check that setting to make sure that it isn't too low or too high. Try to get a smooth sound across the entire range of the speaker; test tones may help, or you can use REW.

According to your profile, you are using Polk FXIA4s? I am a BIG fan of dipole/bipole side speakers, but placement is very important when they are used. Are they located on the side of the main listening area? I'd also try the dipole setting; I like dipoles better, but it's personal preference. Although I don't always adhere to THX standards, some of their standards do improve sound, and the use of dipoles on the side is one part of their placement recommendation that I like a lot.

One other thing that occurred to me is that you should double check the speakers' phase. Make sure that the wire(s) connected to the RED speaker jack(s) on the AVR connect to the RED input jack(s) on the speakers. Of course, BLACK connects to BLACK. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts