Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

141 - 160 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Part of the rear wall absorbers will go behind the couch. That's fine. Bass is still going through the couch - trust me.

For the corners, look for something that reaches as low as possible and preferably takes up as little space as possible to minimize interference with speaker/sub positioning. As an example, if you look at our 244 panel vs our Tri Trap - the Tri Trap extends out 17" from the corners. The 244's REAR will hit the wall at 17" and then stick out another 5" from there at 45 degrees. Performance still goes to the Tri Trap though.
How far apart do the absorbers go on the rear wall and eventually would I need diffusers on the rear wall either side of the absorbers?

With all the help you have given me Bryan I would really love to give you the business and order the absorbers from yourself but I get the feeling it will cost a lot to ship over? The quote I got for 3 curved 4' X 2' diffuser panels with nice matching to room colour fabric was nearly £600 and that company was over here in the UK.

Kind Regards
Marty

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Hi Marty

First, I'm here to help everyone whether they buy from us or not. I do appreciate the thought though. That said, we do have a factory in the UK so it doesn't need to be shipped from the U.S.

I would likely space the thick panels 4-6" apart to take advantage of the perimeter (assuming our products) being open to absorption but not so far that you start to get a lot of reflections. You don't necessarily NEED to do diffusion but it's certainly an option. Probably 90+% of the home theaters out there don't have any diffusion.

Bryan

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Hi Marty

First, I'm here to help everyone whether they buy from us or not. I do appreciate the thought though. That said, we do have a factory in the UK so it doesn't need to be shipped from the U.S.

I would likely space the thick panels 4-6" apart to take advantage of the perimeter (assuming our products) being open to absorption but not so far that you start to get a lot of reflections. You don't necessarily NEED to do diffusion but it's certainly an option. Probably 90+% of the home theaters out there don't have any diffusion.

Bryan
I appreciate your help Bryan and didn't think it was about financial gain I just wanted to offer you the business since you have commited quite a bit of time to my thread :T

So to order is it just your standard website or is there a UK site to order from?

If I was to get any would the diffusers go either side of the absorbers on the rear wall, each one near the side walls and would they actually add anything to the sound quality in my size room?

Kind Regards
Marty

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Diffusion can add a sense of spaciousness to the sound and make the surround field more enveloping.

If you go to our website under PRODUCTS or ORDER NOW, and just hover, you'll see that it drops down an option for US or UK websites and will take you to the appropriate page.

Bryan

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Diffusion can add a sense of spaciousness to the sound and make the surround field more enveloping.

If you go to our website under PRODUCTS or ORDER NOW, and just hover, you'll see that it drops down an option for US or UK websites and will take you to the appropriate page.

Bryan
Okay thanks Bryan!

In regards to the diffusers if I put the absorbers up in the mid section where would the diffusers ideally be placed or would it be a case of all absorb or all diffuse?

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Best places for diffusion are usually"

- Ceiling reflections
- Rear 1/2 of the side wall
- Rear wall where you don't have bass control.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Best places for diffusion are usually"

- Ceiling reflections
- Rear 1/2 of the side wall
- Rear wall where you don't have bass control.
Well at the moment that looks like if I do eventually get some they will go about a foot away from each corner on the rear walls, that should deal with the first reflections from the bipoles.

Thanks again Bryan :T

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
My wife is a bit concerned as to how these absorbers will look, the first thing is none of the fabric colours match our room decor, are there any panels you can either paint or have a wider variety of fabrics, for both the corner traps and the rear wall absorbers?

Also she thinks that 2 big panels on the rear wall that stick out 4 inches will look quite intrusive, is there something thinner that will still work well, if so what panels can you recommend for rear wall and for front corners?

I know ideally the thicker the better, I do want to make sure that if I pay out for all these panels that the performance has a noticeable difference, but If I can get somewhere in the middle so that the panels blend in with the decor and improves the performance then that would be great.

Would appreciate your advice please Bryan.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
We can do a variety of custom fabrics. Cost is a fraction higher but not a lot. We just don't get as good a price when not buying full bolts. Go go the Guilford of Maine website and go to the sample center. Look at any of the FR701-2100 series fabrics.

On the rear wall, unfortunately not. The idea on the rear is to address bottom end cancellations. That simply requires thickness. Ideally, we'd go with the 7" panels so the mid size ones are already the compromise down in thickness.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
When you say bottom end cancellations, do you mean like the ones I have above 120hz, is there a level of thickness that treats certain hz levels, like 50mm-treats down to 200hz, 100mm down to 150hz, something like that? Just wondering as below 120hz I dont really have any cancellations, so may not need to go as thick, if that is the case.

So I take it 50mm rockwool would have very little effect?

What panels do you recommend for the front corners and for the rear wall, the rear wall is dot and dab that crumbles, I take it 4 inch panels will be too heavy for wall mounts?

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Generally, to reach into the deeper bass, you're looking at 100mm or more thickness. How low is kind of a variable question as it depends on the angles of incidence. Not sure what dot and dab is - sorry.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Generally, to reach into the deeper bass, you're looking at 100mm or more thickness. How low is kind of a variable question as it depends on the angles of incidence. Not sure what dot and dab is - sorry.
Dot and dab is the cheaper way of putting up plasterboard, when I drill into it it crumbles quite easily so I was a bit worried that a 4inch thick panel might be a bit too heavy.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Sorry - been buried. If it's plasterboard, it should still be fine. 90% of the force from hanging will be vertical and perpendicular to the adhesive.

Bryan

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Sorry - been buried. If it's plasterboard, it should still be fine. 90% of the force from hanging will be vertical and perpendicular to the adhesive.

Bryan
Thats great, I have ordered some fabric samples to look at from Guildford of maine website, which sound absorbers do you recommend for rear wall and which ones for the front corners?

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Tri Traps are the best combination of bass extension while taking up the least space.

Rear wall - Monster panels would be best but seeing as how you're concerned about weight, you may need to stick with 244's.

Bryan

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Okay that great thanks Bryan :T

Do those tri traps come in any other colours beside from the 5 on offer? Even if they are paintable as it's quite an unusual purple colour our walls our coloured with?

Kind Regards
Marty

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
We offer the Guilford fabrics at a slight upcharge. There is a purpleish one available and other custom Guilford colors available. Painting is pretty much a no-no. You'd plug up the pores and completely change how the treatment operated.

The only option would be to get it in off white and paint with WATER COLOR paint. Can't make any guarantees as to how it would come out though.

Bryan

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
We offer the Guilford fabrics at a slight upcharge. There is a purpleish one available and other custom Guilford colors available. Painting is pretty much a no-no. You'd plug up the pores and completely change how the treatment operated.

The only option would be to get it in off white and paint with WATER COLOR paint. Can't make any guarantees as to how it would come out though.

Bryan
I received the fabric samples today, I have 2 that pretty much fit in, I'd be happy to pay the extra.

Can you offer me your thoughts on the question in my last post please Bryan, in regards to the kit compared to buying the bits individually, as it may work out cheaper in the long run?

Marty

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
Really not much difference in price quite honestly. Most times, you're better off to buy exactly what you need vs trying to shoehorn a kit to fit - unless it's exactly what you need and then add bits as required.

Bryan

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Really not much difference in price quite honestly. Most times, you're better off to buy exactly what you need vs trying to shoehorn a kit to fit - unless it's exactly what you need and then add bits as required.

Bryan
Okay Thanks again :T

Marty

141 - 160 of 189 Posts