Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i heard it is better to fill the voids/imperfections on the box with bondo or a type of elacstic based putty and sanding smooth.
could anyone confirm this?

also i have to fill in a nice little hole on my box im going to seal it from the inside and what do i use to make it smooth? i would have to fill the whole with something before i lay down my veneer.

my box testing it out seems to slide alot i have hardwood floors and when i turn the volume up it seems to slide and move alot.

would just any regular rubber feet work?

A

·
0 Posts
Sounds like your box is rather light. You can actually add weight by way of bricks or bags of sand at the expense of interior volume. If it's a tuned cab then be careful, though it sounds like you're trying to convert to sealed - or what hole are you talking about exactly?

For the finish, yes, sand and fill the MDF with putty or bondo - many things work. just make sure it sets quick, sands easy and is paintable. For veneer it's not too important though, just if you didn't flush trim any of your edges and have stuff sticking out or pieces missing that are close to the edge.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like your box is rather light. You can actually add weight by way of bricks or bags of sand at the expense of interior volume. If it's a tuned cab then be careful, though it sounds like you're trying to convert to sealed - or what hole are you talking about exactly?

For the finish, yes, sand and fill the MDF with putty or bondo - many things work. just make sure it sets quick, sands easy and is paintable. For veneer it's not too important though, just if you didn't flush trim any of your edges and have stuff sticking out or pieces missing that are close to the edge.

for the whole it was a shipping misshap on the box. the glue joints didnt hold on the port and pieces of mdf got ripped away. so i took the whole port off cause its the only way i saw saving it. i was thinking bondo i ordered my veneer should be here soon actually.

box was suppose to be slot ported but like i said glue joints failed and tored layers of mdf off each other.

pics of box and sub to show how the box is now without veneer applied

i have the towel there to keep the box from sliding as a temp fix until i get a affirmitive answer on the rubber feet.

box isnt exactly light either. just hard wood floors and a bare box apparently doesn mix well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have since those pics sanded everything down sealed port opening, just need to fill in the void where the opening is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts