Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read all I can and still need some help.

I have or will have:

-HD DVR from FIOS

-Onkyo 906

-PS3

-SVS MTS-01 5.1 w PB13 sub

-Sony XBR6 52"

I'm not sure how to wire.
-- The video output from HD DVR via HDMI cable to HDTV, right?
-- Do I also need an HDMI cable from the PS3 to the HDTV?
-- All speakers wired to the AVR including sub(by way of sub cable)?
-- What is the type of connection/cable between the video providers (HD DVR & PS3) and the AVR?
-- What is the connection between between the AVR and HDTV if any?

What have I forgotten?

I need to order some more cables in anticipation of boxes arriving at the door. Help me understand exactly what I need and the best way to set up.

THanks.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have read all I can and still need some help.
I'm not sure how to wire.
-- The video output from HD DVR via HDMI cable to HDTV, right?
-- Do I also need an HDMI cable from the PS3 to the HDTV?
I would hook the DVR and PS3 to the AVR via HDMI, then the AVR to the TV via HDMI. Let the AVR do the switching. This will mean that you will have to have the AVR on to watch TV. If you want to use the TV speakers instead of the surround system at times, this won't work.
-- All speakers wired to the AVR including sub(by way of sub cable)?
Right.
-- What is the type of connection/cable between the video providers (HD DVR & PS3) and the AVR?
-- What is the connection between between the AVR and HDTV if any?
These aren't needed if you use the scenario above.

What have I forgotten?

I need to order some more cables in anticipation of boxes arriving at the door. Help me understand exactly what I need and the best way to set up.

THanks.
I'd do it the way I said above, and just use the AVR to switch from source to source, and never use the TV speakers. If you do want to watch TV and use just the TV speakers from time to time, then it will get a little bit more involved.

And if you haven't ordered your cables yet, may I suggest monoprice.com? I've had very good results with their products, as have others here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That makes sense and works with the HDMIcable I have strung through the wall. I have 14 AWG CL2 speaker wire run throughout. What is the "best" way to make the connection from wire to speaker and wire to AVR? I've seen a host of connection methods and want to make the correct choice.

Thanks again in advance.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hmm. Asking audiophiles or enthusiasts about "the best method" is just asking for trouble. :boxer::paddle: Kind of like throwing raw meat into a pen of starving animals.

My preferred method is just stripping an appropriate amount of insulation, then twisting the strands together and shoving them through the hole that is exposed in the binding post when you unscrew it most of the way, and tigtening about as much as possible with the tips of thumb and forefinger. This, of course, assumes binding posts on all components that you need to connect. Do this where you can see, or get a flashlight, to make sure you don't have loose strands shorting your connections.

Occasionally, every few months, or when I'm mucking about behind the equipment for some other reason, I'll loosen the binding posts, give the wire a tweak, and re-tighten just to make sure of a good connection.

In (my) order of preference:
Bare wire, stranded or solid.
Tinned stranded.
Fork or spade terminals.
Banana plugs.

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
I tend to stick with banana plugs as I switch out speakers once in a while and they keep everything nice and neat. Never had a performance issue. Monoprice also has some nice banana plugs that they list as "closed-screw type". This is what I use to keep everything clean, and haven't had problems with anything coming loose yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts