Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a dedicated theater room in a new house I purchased and right now it is simply an empty room with raised riser in the back. I need to start somewhere. I run a company doing commercial integration work for medical and dental offices so I am familiar with most of the technology but not with best practices for screen sizes, distances, etc. The first step will be to have a front cabinet designed and rack space for the equipment.

I've attached a floor plan of the space. Where do I start? Where should I start reading to lay out this room.

the 1' 8" dimension in the front of the room really don't exist. There is nothing there, but would likely represent the front cabinets.

Thanks!

-jr

Attachments

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hmm, to start with, how many people do you want seating for? and what % of use will be movies / music / gaming?

The # of seats will determine appropriate seating locations in the room, and based on that you can start thinking about screen size based on recommended viewing angles.

Here's a pic that may help with the latter (just a guide to get you started, don't treat it as a law - widths are based on a 2.35:1 screen, but heights apply to both 16:9 and 2.35:1 screens):

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
There are a few of these early steps that can influence each other (screen size, seating distance, projector model, projector mounting distance, viewing angle, theatre capacity, etc.) so start with a general idea of what you want and then we can get more specific. If there are any specific criteria that are more important to you or specific goals, lay them out for us to work around. I think it seems to get easier as you go along and start making choices. Right now the options are limitless, so its easy to feel overwhelmed!

·
Registered
80 Posts
+1 for selecting the front of the room. Then select the seating and this plant your eyes and ears. A side sightline drawing will help establish riser height and screen height (so the second row can see the bottom of the screen).

You might want to reconsider cabinetry in front. The equipment displays can be distracting and you really don't want your center channel boxed in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bump a post from the past..

So, I am finally moving forward with some things here. Has only taken about a 1year of doing everything else in this house! The screen will be on the front wall, opposite the windows. The windows have blackout shades on them, so will have good light control.

I'd say that it will be for about 90% movies, 5% gaming and maybe 5% general TV, etc.

So, far I have the following equipment picked out..

- Marantz AV8801
- Marantz MM8077
- JVC X75
- Dalite HD Progressive 1.1 Screen (119" Diag 16:9)
- Paradigm Monitor 11 L/R
- Paradigm Monitor Center 3
- Paradigm Surround 3 for l/r surround
- Paradigm Surround 1 for rear l/r
- Paradigm Sub 10 (x2)

What I really need to decide out is how I will setup the screen wall. As of right now I was simply planning on mounting screen (it is not AT) on the wall, get some cabinet below the screen for equipment and center. I do like the idea of having a false to be able, but not sure if I really have the room?

My concern is also about the light loss due to AT screen? the JVC isn't super bright and I'd like to be able to watch some sports and have people over with it being a cave? This is why I went with 1.1 vs .9 on the screen.

About me: I am a software developer but also having a consulting company where I do IT and system integration work for commercial spaces (mainly dental/medical offices).

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I would suggest making the far wall (with what appears to be windows) the screen wall. Next it looks like you have a double door entering the room at the right rear & appears to be recessed. I would convert this to a single door & use the remaining space to make an equipment room/rack. By the time you build a stage/cabnet, those doors will be problematic. And you still have the equipment issue. Which end of the room is the riser in?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would suggest making the far wall (with what appears to be windows) the screen wall. Next it looks like you have a double door entering the room at the right rear & appears to be recessed. I would convert this to a single door & use the remaining space to make an equipment room/rack. By the time you build a stage/cabnet, those doors will be problematic. And you still have the equipment issue. Which end of the room is the riser in?
The riser is on that side of the room (window side).

Trying to get some photos up, will make the conversation easier.

-jr

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
There won't be any loss of light using an AT screen..If it has a gain of 1.1 then it will be as bright as a solid screen of the same gain..
The JVC should be bright enough to have some ambient light in the room..

Also I would suggest that you move the rear seating further away from the back wall..You need a gap of at least 2' from the back wall for the audio to be effective....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There won't be any loss of light using an AT screen..If it has a gain of 1.1 then it will be as bright as a solid screen of the same gain..
The JVC should be bright enough to have some ambient light in the room..
I'm certainly not opposed to doing the AT screen.

One of my problems it that I need someplace for the equipment. Everything is pre-wired to the front of the room. So, I was thinking about just doing a piece of furniture or cabinetry under the screen up front to hold the AV equipment, but I suppose I could do that on the bottom and then have AT screen and wall above the cabinet?

I question if 2' depth I have on the front will be enough.

Also I would suggest that you move the rear seating further away from the back wall..You need a gap of at least 2' from the back wall for the audio to be effective....
Ok. That shouldn't be the problem. The riser is big enough for that. It's 6' front to back..

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
I'm certainly not opposed to doing the AT screen.

One of my problems it that I need someplace for the equipment. Everything is pre-wired to the front of the room. So, I was thinking about just doing a piece of furniture or cabinetry under the screen up front to hold the AV equipment, but I suppose I could do that on the bottom and then have AT screen and wall above the cabinet?

I question if 2' depth I have on the front will be enough.
Yes..a 2' space will suffice nicely for a screen wall..
The other way you could mount your equipment would be under the screen behind cloth covered doors..That way you wouldn't need to have an external cabinet..
This is what I did originally before moving all the gear into another room..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yea, figured that. I'm thinking that I should do some type of stage though as well..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you feel that you'll have enough floor space from the screen wall to your front row, then you could do a stage as well..
I have about 13' 8" to the wall from the face of the riser... If I did a stage which came out 3' in the center and hard screen lined up with the wall @ 2'.. I would still have about 10' from screen to back of riser.

I did have Erskine Group do a layout..

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I see in the plan that Dennis Erskine has allowed for a stage, so shouldn't be a problem..I would go with what he recommends..
Yes, I will in terms of sight lines, etc. But don't think I'm going to go that way with speakers, etc. Dennis didn't work on the layout, one of his other guys did. I think it would have been better if I had some equipment chosen before I paid for the layout. Didn't get projector layout, positioning, etc.

-jr

1 - 20 of 22 Posts