Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a 8" port at 30" long. It will have to include a 90 degree bend in the box.
I'm having trouble finding any PVC to use or any pre-built tubes at 8". Can anyone point me in the right direction?

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I got my 6" PVC from a commercial plumbing company... they had larger sizes as well.

Sonotube comes in 8" sizes... Lowe's should have it, depending on where you live... it is called Quik-Tube and is made by Quikrete.

It comes in 8" x 48"...

You could probably order it online and have it delivered to your local Lowe's if not available in store... or your local hardware store may have it or can order it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about the Sonotube's but, for my application it has to have a 90 degree turn. I can't do that with the sonotube right?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Finding an elbow to work with 8 inch Sonotube would be a challenge. Other options would be 8 inch PVC pipe with an elbow which would probably be expensive. You could also try to redesign your box so a straight length of sonotube will work, or consider a slot port with the same surface area.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was afraid that was going to be said. : (

I'm going to try to spec 3 4" ports in winISD and see what I get.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That actually crossed my mind. I'm pretty new myself but, I'm thinking that may not be rigid enough. That stuff if pretty thin.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Well it's made of galvanized steel so it would ring like a bell...and the bend is not a smooth transition so it would probably cause turbulance inside the port, not a good thing...

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
What did you end up using? If you haven't completed it yet, you could also mount the port at an angle so as to optimize the internal space of the sub while maintaining good clearance around the internal opening. Do you have a drawing of the sub with dimensions?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I wound up using 3 4" ports using pvc with 90 degree bends. The angle idea is a good one. I didn't thing of that.

I'm thinking of starting a new thread with pics of the build if anyone would be interested and if that's acceptable. Come to think of it I should start a small blog so anyone interested (and a few friends) could follow and see how the build is coming.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Please do! We are always looking for a new build thread that can be added to the "Subwoofer Database". :T
Mike,

Is there any preferred format for such a thread? For example, do most people like to have all pictures shown inside the thread? Or if the builder has their own web page with pictures and documentation, is just a link to that ok? And I don't mean a generic thing like ImageShack or similar with one line titles to each picture. I mean a real web page made from scratch. :) Or a combination of the two?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts