Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was re-organizing my manuals in order of importance, and was wondering is there a better way to keep my manuals?

I currently use this plastic place holder, that holds papers. And was interested to know what other people do for there manuals?

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
I just throw 'em in a folder and stick them in a file cabinet drawer. Not really filed, just in there :bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I have a big filing cabinet in the basement that I keep all my manuals in I still have manual for my ghetoblaster I bought in 1987!

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
In my night stand drawer... been there since day one, but I think with the new HT room, I will keep them in the room behind the equipment cabinet.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Since I keep all my boxes for the equipment, they are put back into the boxes once it is all setup. That way, I can always find them. With our RPTV, I printed off a huge manual with tweaks and that is actually in a binder on my bookcase next to the TV. I have found that I refer to it quite a bit, so it is nice to have it right next to my TV, plus I didn't keep that box!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a closed cabinet in my room where I put all my extra cables, wires and extra remotes (or push buttons as I call them). In the cabinet just above the wires is a shelf that I stack all my manuals. I also try to down load all the same manuals I can on my computer. I have just about every manual on my computer in a folder where I can get to quickly.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Keep all of mine in a drawer. Of course I have never gone through them to throw the old ones away so there is manuals on everything from my first tv to my plasma to my washer and dryer... I like the idea of downloading manuals onto my computer, I did that for my car but never even thought about it for HT.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
interesting, where do you usually search? Just google it? or a specific site you use to get your manuals?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
interesting, where do you usually search? Just google it? or a specific site you use to get your manuals?
Best and cheap place to start is the manufacturer website ....there's some sites that charge for manuals.

BTW, I keep all manuals in a plastic storage box, but car manuals stays in the car :bigsmile:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ya the manufactures web site is the best place to get manuals. I actually have most of the manuals on my computer months and even years before I buy the same product. I download the manuals to aid in my research in comparing products. Which means I have more manuals of the stuff I don’t own then of the stuff I do own. I just put those ones into another folder. I have even thought of scanning some of the really old speaker manuals I have that are not available online.

·
Registered
95 Posts
There is a site called safemanuals.com where you can find all kinds of manuals. I was given an older BOSE Lifestyle 25 and low and behold the site not only had that manual but most of the manuals for the BOSE Lifestyle systems.

They also have manuals for all kinds of other appliances, and the downloads are free!

As for storing, pretty simple, in a folder labeled HT Manuals in your filing cabinet. :reading:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I keep all my manuals in one HUGE heavy duty zip lock baggie. I might have to upgrade to a second baggie now as that one is pretty full :) That way, I know exactly where to look if I ever need to refer to one. BTW, I also download the electronic versions (usually available on the manufacturer's site) and store them in a folder in "My Documents" on my computer for easy access. Most of the time I refer to the ones on my computer - easier, faster and I don't have to mess around with leafing through pages and messing up my minty hard copies :bigsmile:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I usually look for the manual online in a PDF file and just download it so I know I've always got one on my computer. That way it takes up zero space in a drawer.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I typically store them in the same place that many of the previous posters keep there's. That is, in a file organizer where I keep my other files.

I plan to change this however and use a different system. Rather, I just plan on taking all my manuals, and placing them in a separate box organizer where only manuals for audio equipment reside. I find that my audio equipment may have accessories I may need to keep along with the manual.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I keep all my manuals in the recycle bin....and the garbage company keeps taking them....:joke:

Yeah...anyway count me as one more who keeps only an electronic copy.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Mine are all filed in a file cabinet, but as many mentioned here, I usually go for an electronic copy (sometimes they have updates to the manuals which helps). If I 'have' to, I pull them from the files (can't remember the last time I did that :bigsmile:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts