Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get some MDF to built a box. I need to get 1" MDF, but my local Home Depot and Lowes don't sell them. They only have .75" MDF. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you absolutely need 1" MDF? Just laminate some ¾" and ¼" MDF together. Usually ¾" with bracing is sufficient though, and then double up the mounting face if necessary.

Lowes and Home Depot are not lumber yards, you will have to look for a real lumber yard to find someone that can order 1" MDF.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Im using 25mm mdf for my dual 18 sealed sub. Measures 30" long by 36" high by 22" wide. Box itself weighs 215lb plus 100lb for the drivers. It will weigh a tonne but will be solid as a rock.

I was worried about using 3/4" mdf. Depends on the size of the box I would imagine.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sub I got recommend 1" MDF. I call 84 lumber today and they don't have it neither. So what would be better? Gluing a sheet of 3/4" and a sheet of 1/4" MDF or two sheets of 1/2"?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm useing two sheets of 1/2in baltic birtch for my builds. 14cuft slot ported boxes with 18in mal-x sub being used. With bracing and sub in turns out to just over 10cuft per box and is tuned to 16hz.

1/2in works well because you can use it for braceing also and is easy to notch it for curving or flaring the port inside the box.

Scott

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you look in the yellow pages for commercial lumber & sheet good suppliers you can get 1" MDF w/o a problem, except you may need to be a business to buy from them.
I'm near Philadelphia & get my stuff from CH Brigs, there is Harbor Sales in Baltimore, but they deliver all over the area. Check with a local cabinet shop, they'd have access to it from their suppliers.
Peace
Justin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts