Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, i am quite excited to say i'm in the process of buying my first house! I am also excited to say that i have a 13x25 foot room free, for which i plan on doing a home theater in. I'd like to go with a fixed screen, 140-150 inches (16:9), and would like to put the LcR speakers behind the screen. The projector is a 1080p HC4000.
One thing i am wondering is how much an acoustically transparent screen, that is good enough to not cause moire with 1080p, would cost? I've looked at the pre-made fixed screens and feel they're quite expensive, but i can easily make the frame myself, i just need a good source for the material. Anyone have any good sources? Thanks!

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that place looks perfect. The screen material isn't as expensive as i would have thought actually. Now, i've never had any experience with acoustically transparent material, so i'm wondering if there are any tips on handling the material? Anything i should/shouldn't do that applies specifically to this type of material?

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
If you get their Centre Stage XD material, it's quite stiff and has virtually no stretch to it..It requires a fair amount of tension when attaching to the frame..if you're using the simple wrap around the frame method..
The better method is to have eyelets fitted to the fabric (SeymourAV will do this for you) and use hooks and rubber tensioners to attach the material..

·
Registered
55 Posts
I like Cris and his screens, but I can see the material texture at around 10 feet. If you need an inexpensive AT screen, then this is a good alternative. Be aware that it isn't perfect.

If you have the money to spend on a really good screen, then go for his 4k material. Two of us walked up to it at Cedia and thought it was a solid screen. It is that good. It has a gain of about .9. Unfortunately it is not available in DIY. I think he told me an 8 ft wide screen is around $3k.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like Cris and his screens, but I can see the material texture at around 10 feet. If you need an inexpensive AT screen, then this is a good alternative. Be aware that it isn't perfect.

If you have the money to spend on a really good screen, then go for his 4k material. Two of us walked up to it at Cedia and thought it was a solid screen. It is that good. It has a gain of about .9. Unfortunately it is not available in DIY. I think he told me an 8 ft wide screen is around $3k.
Well I plan on sitting back at least 14 feet from the screen, so that may be far enough. I am definitely planning on ordering a sample to start, just to check the texture visibility and to make sure there will be no moire issues. As for his higher end stuff... Sadly, when buying a new house, certain repairs come with it (aka :spend:), so I won't have that kind of cash to throw at it, though maybe in the future.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Did you wind up ordering the Center stage XD material? I am interested as well in Seymour A/V's DIY AT screens and will be back about 14 to 16 feet, I really don't want to blow $3K on a AT screen.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you wind up ordering the Center stage XD material? I am interested as well in Seymour A/V's DIY AT screens and will be back about 14 to 16 feet, I really don't want to blow $3K on a AT screen.
I have yet to purchase the material. However, on their site they say you can order a sample. If I were you I'd order one to make sure the material will work for your use. That's what I'm planning on doing, they say you can't view the texture at a certain distance, but that's a pretty subjective thing to say, best to judge it for yourself.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Good advice, I will call them this week.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Been looking around and I found this at htmarket.com
http://www.htmarket.com/ezsefischd16.html

They can do a 135 inch AT fixed screen for $1,000 shipped, about $500 cheaper than Seymour's XD material fixed screen of the same size. Although i have some reservations about it because it is not tensioned and I am not familiar with the fabric. Though the sound attenuation figures seem good. Anyone have experience with a screen like this?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
The same screen can be had from projector people for more than $100 less and that was just from a quick google search and the $40 off coupon at htmarket. Good find though and worth looking into.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is a pic that I took at Cedia. The 4k is on the right.
Yeah, quite a difference there. Though my budget is quite low at the moment. I'm thinking of taking a look at the "acousticpro" screen material locally and will see if that will do the job until i have some more cash to spend on something better. This will definitely be an "add on slowly as income allows" project. Though I already have almost all of the equipment I'll use, it's more so alterations to the room that's going to take a while.
And thanks sub_crazy, i'll definitely shop around, I didn't really see if htmarket was the cheapest or not.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I wound up ordering this off of ebay since I had a ebay bucks coupon it only came out to $75 shipped so I thought, why not?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/37029944908...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_8266wt_259

So far I am impressed but I have not had a chance to put the speakers behind the screen yet to test it's acoustic transparency.

Right now it is just hung up and stretched using hook bolts and thumb tacks, they sent over way more than enough to cover my 14' wall with 8' ceiling. The room is painted a light beige semi-gloss so I found a couple of old dark brown sheet and covered the back wall as I noticed you can see the image perfectly when standing behind the screen, the light bounces back washing out the image. Now with the dark brown background the contrast is incredible and I can't see the speaker behind the screen.

Even at full price of $100 + shipping this screen is worth the price to check out but I would recommend a dedicated light controlled room for it.

I have a matte white dalite screen but I need a AT screen for a cleaner look. I thought about comparing the 2 but I am guessing any normal screen should beat out a AT screen so I will probably pass.

Anyone have any thoughts on what would be the biggest diagonal screen size I should go for if the first seating area is 15' away? I want to make sure no one gets sick watching the latest action movie if the screen is too big from 15' away. I can make the screen as big as the wall will allow, 168" wide which equates to 193" diagonal but that's not happening. I almost lost my lunch watching fast action movie clips at 193" from that distance. I am thinking 150" diagonal max but probably 140" would be more like it, that's what I have it at right now. I am using a BenQ W6000 so light output is not a problem with that flame thrower even in huge sizes.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I wound up ordering this off of ebay since I had a ebay bucks coupon it only came out to $75 shipped so I thought, why not?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/37029944908...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_8266wt_259

So far I am impressed but I have not had a chance to put the speakers behind the screen yet to test it's acoustic transparency.

Right now it is just hung up and stretched using hook bolts and thumb tacks, they sent over way more than enough to cover my 14' wall with 8' ceiling. The room is painted a light beige semi-gloss so I found a couple of old dark brown sheet and covered the back wall as I noticed you can see the image perfectly when standing behind the screen, the light bounces back washing out the image. Now with the dark brown background the contrast is incredible and I can't see the speaker behind the screen.

Even at full price of $100 + shipping this screen is worth the price to check out but I would recommend a dedicated light controlled room for it.

I have a matte white dalite screen but I need a AT screen for a cleaner look. I thought about comparing the 2 but I am guessing any normal screen should beat out a AT screen so I will probably pass.

Anyone have any thoughts on what would be the biggest diagonal screen size I should go for if the first seating area is 15' away? I want to make sure no one gets sick watching the latest action movie if the screen is too big from 15' away. I can make the screen as big as the wall will allow, 168" wide which equates to 193" diagonal but that's not happening. I almost lost my lunch watching fast action movie clips at 193" from that distance. I am thinking 150" diagonal max but probably 140" would be more like it, that's what I have it at right now. I am using a BenQ W6000 so light output is not a problem with that flame thrower even in huge sizes.
Can you take pictures of the material up close, perhaps with a quarter or something for reference as well? Looks like a good price, though, as you said, i'd be interested in it's acoustic transparency. Are you going to take falloff measurements or just going to listen by ear for differences in the higher frequencies?

Edit: As far as the size, i'm probably the wrong person to ask. I enjoy a large screen from relatively up close (makes for an excellent gaming experience). I'd say do 150 inch at 15 feet away, but most would probably say 140 inch.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I did take some screen pics on this thread: http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...cussion/51385-how-big-too-big.html#post469476

Up close it's very tight weave and not noticeable from a couple of feet away. It sort of looks like a bedsheet and when I first got it I thought I just threw $$$ away. The picture quality is really good though, much better than I was expecting. I have horrible lighting in the room right now but if I can get a decent picture I will try to get a close-up.

On the other thread I linked to above someone brought up that this material used to be really popular until SMX came out. I checked out SMX but didn't see them carry any DIY material.

·
Registered
355 Posts
SMX no longer caters to DIY, and their commercial screens are $$$$ and sometimes even $$$$$. Was pretty disappointed when that happened.

·
Registered
613 Posts
On the other thread I linked to above someone brought up that this material used to be really popular until SMX came out. I checked out SMX but didn't see them carry any DIY material.
I'm not 100% on this, but I do believe believe the reason Ruben (SmX) originally sold his fabric to the DIY community was that he had to buy 50 rolls when he first had it made and sold it off to cover his costs. Because people all around the world bought this fabric, he suddenly had independent groups testing and posting their results. It was a move that worked out really good for him. There are a number is companies making or selling the vinyl weave in all colours from white to black (AT masks anyone?). You just need to know what your looking for.

I have found a local company (Brisbane, Australia) that can supply both the original and a even finer version of the weave known as SmX. They can't supply the new product SmX calls "4K" though.

·
Registered
279 Posts
As far as size, just use your wall as a screen at first. Try different sizes with the zoom lens and get an idea what YOU like best.

I had a 144" (12') screen at 12' seating distance. My wife and I loved it, my sister in law got queasy. Dropped to 138" and so far everyone likes it. That's not to say that others might not find it too big. Or too small. I find the bigger size is more immersive--(Is that a real word?)--others don't want to move their eyes to follow the action.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts