Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I'm new to all this but I've been spending a lot of time on all these DIY forums reading thread after thread about peoples projects and drooling over everyones final product. I want to get started on a Sub box but I don't even know where to start. I need to know where to start, what should I read? Are their any good books i could buy for this sort of thing? I realize I have a long road ahead of be before I'll be any good at this but my recent hobby of custom building computers and playing video games just doesn't work with a wife an kid now. I'm in a situation right now where I could do all of my building and planning at work. We have every tool imaginable here and i have a guy thats very good with them that I've already talked to about helping me build a sub box. Now he's bugging me every day to get started because he hates doing actual work related stuff but loves side projects.

I have no idea what i need or want right now. I'm just looking for some direction of where to start. Maybe point me in the direction of some very informational threads or if there is a basic single driver sub build that has most the needed information to build i could start there. I don't know what else i need to know if you have any questions feel free to ask I'll be at my computer 9-5 every day.

P.S. I'm planning to document what materials and things i read that were very helpful so hopefully i can make a thread eventually that everyone can direct people in the future who are in my current situation and don't know where to start. If there already is such a thread please direct me to it lol.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
I have no idea what i need or want right now. I'm just looking for some direction of where to start.
To get your feet wet, you can look at what other people have been doing and possibly get some ideas as to what you eventually would like to do. The "Members Subwoofer Database" is a collection of indiviual subwoofer builds which most have the goals, planning, the build, and final results of each project. If you have any questions, just ask. :T

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers/9265-members-subwoofer-database.html

·
Registered
393 Posts
There are some things that will help to know, also:
Budget.
Room size.
What equipment you have now, your opinion of it's performance, and what you expect out of the new sub.
Size restrictions. Can you build a massive refrigerator sized box, or is it going to have to disappear in a corner behind the potted plant?

We have every tool imaginable here and i have a guy thats very good with them that I've already talked to about helping me build a sub box. Now he's bugging me every day to get started because he hates doing actual work related stuff but loves side projects.
Everyone should have this guy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts