Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm needing some help on which amp to upgrade to with my Shiva-x box.

Shiva is in a 3.1 cubic foot box with 15 inch PR tuned to 19-20hz. I have an Oaudio 500w plate amp right now and I'am wanting more out of this build/box. I have a Velodyne SMS-1 being shipped as I type this but I can not seem to decide on what amp to go with. I have narrowed it down to Behringer 1500, 2000, 2500 and would be ran in 4 ohm bridge mode.

I should model this for each power rating but not sure how to set it all up. :(

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Is this a new build or an old one?

I'd wait on the amp. Use the SMS-1 and see where you are at.

No matter how much power you put on it, you are not going to get that much extra output. Once you get to about 1000W levels, the driver/PRs become the limiting factor so you may squeeze out a little more output, but I wouldn't expect much. To get significantly more output, you need to move up to larger devices, in bigger boxes with more power.

Three things.... size/capability of drivers...... power.....size of the box. Those are the three attributes that generally lead to more output in subwoofers.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had this setup for about 4 months and when watching movies I think the amp is clipping. It only happens on really quick explosions with low end. The sub is no where its limits but make a sound like it is clipping when it goes into the low end. I made it better by lowering the Sub out on the Pioneer to -7 and then raised the gain on the Oaudio. Gain is a little past half way on the amp and is set to the 20hz for subsonic. I can run a 20-30hz signal from REW to the sub and does not make the sound like it does in a movie. Seems to only do it when it's a hard fast bass in like action movies. I have watched the sub when it makes the sound and does not seem like it is over excursion.

I was thinking with a new amp it could give me more headroom. I keep the volume down so it does not clip, but would like to not have to worry about as some movies have very extra loud explosions. When I run REW it is pretty flat from 20-50hz but with the Oaudio it gives a little boost at 17-19hz.

Maybe all I need is to work with the SMS and see what it/I can do.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have had this setup for about 4 months and when watching movies I think the amp is clipping. It only happens on really quick explosions with low end. The sub is no where its limits but make a sound like it is clipping when it goes into the low end. I made it better by lowering the Sub out on the Pioneer to -7 and then raised the gain on the Oaudio. Gain is a little past half way on the amp and is set to the 20hz for subsonic. I can run a 20-30hz signal from REW to the sub and does not make the sound like it does in a movie. Seems to only do it when it's a hard fast bass in like action movies. I have watched the sub when it makes the sound and does not seem like it is over excursion.

I was thinking with a new amp it could give me more headroom. I keep the volume down so it does not clip, but would like to not have to worry about as some movies have very extra loud explosions. When I run REW it is pretty flat from 20-50hz but with the Oaudio it gives a little boost at 17-19hz.

Maybe all I need is to work with the SMS and see what it/I can do.

Thanks again
I think you are right, it is clipping. The O Audio amp has a subsonic filter with a high Q. The result of this, is you are effectively boosting the bottom-end by up to 5-6dB, depending on which setting you use for the subsonic filter. So... what does that do for headroom? It kills any headroom you had down around 20Hz. It is a doubling of power to get 3dB of boost so you quickly run out of headroom down low with that much boost.

About as high as I'd recommend, is the 1000W amps. You still need the boost in your application to get a flat in-room FR. You just need more power so that you have more effective headroom and you probably need higher voltage rails to keep from clipping. Unfortunately, there is not a cheap solution. That is why I recommend people build more subwoofer than the need. The fix for not quite getting enough is often much more expensive than if you bought the more capable device to begin with.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the EP-1500 would be about right then I guess since it is 1500 watts max. Little over the 1000w you recomend but that is peak power I think. Since I have (will have) the SMS-1 I will be able to get the high-pass/subsonic filter set correctly and not have any unwanted boost in the low end.

Thanks again Kevin.

i guess I can test this out when I get the SMS-1 and connect to the OAudio amp. Going to set the subsonic/boost at 11hz on the Amp. The SMS will be at 20 hz for high-pass/subsonic. Subsonic filter on the Oaudio can not be defeated. :sad: I can set the subsonic to a higher cut-off at like 32db or something.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
So the EP-1500 would be about right then I guess since it is 1500 watts max. Little over the 1000w you recomend but that is peak power I think. Since I have (will have) the SMS-1 I will be able to get the high-pass/subsonic filter set correctly and not have any unwanted boost in the low end.

Thanks again Kevin.

i guess I can test this out when I get the SMS-1 and connect to the OAudio amp. Going to set the subsonic/boost at 11hz on the Amp. The SMS will be at 20 hz for high-pass/subsonic. Subsonic filter on the Oaudio can not be defeated. :sad: I can set the subsonic to a higher cut-off at like 32db or something.
You can manually set the SMS-1 so you can pick whatever EQ you want. It is completely configurable or you can push a button and let it Auto-EQ. I never trust those Auto-EQ settings but the few times I've used the SMS-1, it did a reasonable job.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

1 - 6 of 6 Posts