Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm needing some help on which amp to upgrade to with my Shiva-x box.

Shiva is in a 3.1 cubic foot box with 15 inch PR tuned to 19-20hz. I have an Oaudio 500w plate amp right now and I'am wanting more out of this build/box. I have a Velodyne SMS-1 being shipped as I type this but I can not seem to decide on what amp to go with. I have narrowed it down to Behringer 1500, 2000, 2500 and would be ran in 4 ohm bridge mode.

I should model this for each power rating but not sure how to set it all up. :(

Thanks,

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had this setup for about 4 months and when watching movies I think the amp is clipping. It only happens on really quick explosions with low end. The sub is no where its limits but make a sound like it is clipping when it goes into the low end. I made it better by lowering the Sub out on the Pioneer to -7 and then raised the gain on the Oaudio. Gain is a little past half way on the amp and is set to the 20hz for subsonic. I can run a 20-30hz signal from REW to the sub and does not make the sound like it does in a movie. Seems to only do it when it's a hard fast bass in like action movies. I have watched the sub when it makes the sound and does not seem like it is over excursion.

I was thinking with a new amp it could give me more headroom. I keep the volume down so it does not clip, but would like to not have to worry about as some movies have very extra loud explosions. When I run REW it is pretty flat from 20-50hz but with the Oaudio it gives a little boost at 17-19hz.

Maybe all I need is to work with the SMS and see what it/I can do.

Thanks again

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the EP-1500 would be about right then I guess since it is 1500 watts max. Little over the 1000w you recomend but that is peak power I think. Since I have (will have) the SMS-1 I will be able to get the high-pass/subsonic filter set correctly and not have any unwanted boost in the low end.

Thanks again Kevin.

i guess I can test this out when I get the SMS-1 and connect to the OAudio amp. Going to set the subsonic/boost at 11hz on the Amp. The SMS will be at 20 hz for high-pass/subsonic. Subsonic filter on the Oaudio can not be defeated. :sad: I can set the subsonic to a higher cut-off at like 32db or something.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.