Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Plan: SDX15 and a sealed 3.5 ft^5 enclosure.

My only question now, is the amp that powers it. I have two choices.

O-Audio
or
a Behringer EP1500

The only thing that would be stopping me from buying an EP1500 right now is that I have all my components in a cabinet, and the Behringer would be in there too. I could put it on top of all my other components or on its own shelf to give it the most airflow, but I do not know how how these amps get or how powerful the fans would be. I would be changing the standard out for the silent fan said in these forums.

Is the ~1000 watts that much better than the ~420 watts produced by the O-Audio?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot that part...This is going to be a sealed enclosure, and this is mainly for music. Rap, rock, bass, everything.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The O-Audio has high pass filters and boost. The 12hz setting has 8 db of boost, 16 hz has 6 db , 20 hz has 4 db, and 25 hz has 0 db. Here is an SPL graph.

Green - EP1500 1000 watts
Yellow - O-Audio 420 watts HPF 16hz, 6 db of boost
Orange - O-Audio 420 watts HPF 20 hz, 4 db of boost.

With The O-Audio the Xmax is not exceeded. With the EP1500 Xmax is exceeded at 6 hz. (definitely not a problem in your application) The Ep1500 is a clear winner.

EP1500.JPG

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok, that makes the superiority of the EP1500 very obvious :bigsmile:

How hot does the EP1500 get? The longest I would have it on would be about an hour, but the thing is is it will be in a cabinet, but the door will be open on it.

I guess it wouldn't be terrible since the fan blows from back to front, so the hot air will be going away from it completely

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And another question, there will probably be a few more as time goes on, but this one wasn't readily available on this site. I did research.

I am going to run speaker wire from the EP1500 about 20 ft. With 1000 watts going through this speaker wire, I'm not sure if I should go for a lower gauge. I currently have 12 at my house, and still have plenty of it where it came from.

·
Registered
299 Posts
12 gauge will be fine. About the heat, My EP1500 barely even gets warm, but I would not put any of my audio equipment in a sealed cabinet. If the cabinet your talking about is just an open shelf with no doors you should be fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts