Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
The reciever is a Harman Kardon HK AVR 340 7.1 and the speakers that the amp will be running are Polk 10" subs. They are towers that I built and the subs are amped seperate from the highs, so the reciever will run the highs and the amp to the subs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I understand the specs, but wattage doesnt always mean its better. My HK receiver only puts out 55 watts per channel and it way overpowers my Sony at 110 per channel. So I was wondering if any of you own or have heard these and thought that one was better than the other. Not so much as in just watts, but build quality and sound quality also. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
.... So I was wondering if any of you own or have heard these and thought that one was better than the other. Not so much as in just watts, but build quality and sound quality also...
You got me there ... no experience with any of them (I just got a Samsom myself) :innocent:

My suggestion (if you have time to decide which one to keep): use one at a time to power your speakers and see if there's any difference :yes: ... then choose which one to keep.

the amp will be running are Polk 10" subs. They are towers that I built and the subs are amped seperate from the highs ...
If you'll be powering just the subs ...I still choose the one with more wattage, you don't really need the best sound.

You're right about the HK receivers; I read that they're underated, and others (probably Sony) are overated...:yes:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Here is the numbers I found online ....

Sonamp 260 [email protected] [email protected] ohms

NAD 2155 [email protected] [email protected]

ADCOM [email protected]

So my pick.... NAD 2155 :yes:
The NAD 2155 is built like a tank, as is most NAD stuff. However, the continuous power output of this amplifier is 55 watts per channel into 8 Ohms both channels driven. Peak power rating is 110 wpc @ 8 Ohms.

The Adcom GFA-535 II is also built like a tank, as is most Adcom stuff.

I'd think about keeping whichever amp sounds the best in your setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts