Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm in the prep stages of setting up a small home studio for my personal recording projects. I do not not need high I/O count and will not be recording entire bands at one time. My preference for connection due to mobility needs an low latency requirements leans toward firewire. I am currently looking at two units and would like an honest opinion of which one is a better unit based on you personal experience. The two devices I am considering are:

PreSonus FireStudio Mobile 10x6 FireWire
or
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24

Does anyone have any input as to the quality or "sound" of the mic pre's in these units? I know the built in pre's are not going to be anything like dedicated pre's but I'm on a TIGHT budget and need to select something that will do the job in a respectable manner. Also, can anyone tell me about ease of setup and possible driver issues?
Please note that I do realize not everyone has used these things, but if you have, and can share your experiences, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the previous generation of the Focusrite unit, the Pro10 and the Pro26. The mic preamps are very good, esp for the price, and I understand they may have got better. The direct monitoring certainly has, and can be used when recording live instruments and vocals without worrying about latency. If you don't need the channel-count of the Pro40, the 24 looks a nice buy with the only downers I can see being the non-rack format (personal thing) and needing the external PSU (Pro40 is IEC lead).

>

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the previous generation of the Focusrite unit, the Pro10 and the Pro26. The mic preamps are very good, esp for the price, and I understand they may have got better. The direct monitoring certainly has, and can be used when recording live instruments and vocals without worrying about latency. If you don't need the channel-count of the Pro40, the 24 looks a nice buy with the only downers I can see being the non-rack format (personal thing) and needing the external PSU (Pro40 is IEC lead).

>
Thanks for the reply. I've been on the road for a few weeks and did not see this until today. I appreciate your time..thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Focusrite all the way on this one! Presonus builds great stuff for awesome prices, but Focusrite Saffire-series have always had the better functional interfaces. I absolutely love mine! Good buy for a good price!

·
Registered
8 Posts
A complete newbie to this forum, but I have been tinkering with DAW for sometime. I've been saving for RME myself. It seems quite a few people who are in DAW seem to think RME is the right stuff especially considering the latency. Apparently, they are the only ones make their own controller hardware as opposed to using OEM parts.

"RME are unique not only in the level of development that they apply at both controller and driver level , but also in the level of performance that they have achieved across all of the available protocols." - From dawbench

My two ¥

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey everyone. I'm in the prep stages of setting up a small home studio for my personal recording projects. I do not not need high I/O count and will not be recording entire bands at one time. My preference for connection due to mobility needs an low latency requirements leans toward firewire. I am currently looking at two units and would like an honest opinion of which one is a better unit based on you personal experience. The two devices I am considering are:

PreSonus FireStudio Mobile 10x6 FireWire
or
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24

Does anyone have any input as to the quality or "sound" of the mic pre's in these units? I know the built in pre's are not going to be anything like dedicated pre's but I'm on a TIGHT budget and need to select something that will do the job in a respectable manner. Also, can anyone tell me about ease of setup and possible driver issues?
Please note that I do realize not everyone has used these things, but if you have, and can share your experiences, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Steve
If you are considering a Firewire device for "mobility", you should think again. Firewire is almost non-existent in todays laptops. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you are considering a Firewire device for "mobility", you should think again. Firewire is almost non-existent in todays laptops. Just a thought.
It's trivial to buy a cardbus firewire card to run your interface through. It's actually a good idea to, because you can specifically buy one with a Texas Instruments chip which is known to be stable for recording, as opposed to relying on the onboard firewire which may not be usable due to dropouts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone is searching for info and stumbles across it: Presonus are pretty poor quality, as are M-Audio. In that price range Focusrite is definitely the way to go, and if you're willing to spend more, RME are a great choice, as someone else mentioned.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.