Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have the chance to get a Samsung BD-P1500 blu-ray for pretty cheap (<$100). My original plan was to buy a PS3 for blu-ray (and get a free gaming system with it :bigsmile: ) but the PS3 will run me ~$500 Canadian.

Is the BD-P1500 a good choice blu-ray player? If it is as good as PS3 blu-ray-wise, I'll prolly just go for it, but if it is somehow inferior to the PS3, then the PS3 is money well spent.

Opinions?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I have the Samsung bdp-1500 and it is a very nice player. It is a steal for less than $100. I cannot compare though because I do not have a ps3 but the player has played every disc with 0 problems in the six months I have owned it. I haven't upgraded the firmware so it will have bd-live capability but I just want it to play movies and with my Optoma PJ it gives me a great picture.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Playback of BluRay movies will be no difference in quality between the two however the upconversion of standard DVDs the PS3 will do a better job. That said the upconversion on the Samsung is not a night and day difference and is more than adequate.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I snatched the BD-P1500, it is sitting in the corner, staring at me, waiting to be played, but my HT is not done yet...

The only annoying thing about a deal such as this is it reduces the justification for me to buy a PS3 :(

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
If still available in your area, I am a big fan of the Pioneer BDP 51/05. Especially with BB blowing out 51's for as low as $150, it is an amazing value. Even at the original 600 Dollar pricepoint, it is a good value. Excellent parts and build quality. Made in Japan. Wolfson 8740 DAC's (which are used in many mega dollar Arcam players), a score of 86 on the stringent DVD Benchmark, excellent CD playback with dedicated 2 channel jacks, very attractive component.

The only real downsides are fairly slow load times and not having BD Live . However, I never use this feature with my PS3. The only time I would use BD Live is with Neil Young's Archives which makes available new media free of charge which is added seamlessly to the original discs.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
127 Posts
ps3 then you can play it and have a nice bd player ahah LOL gotta think of the cost to use ratio and price those are major factor what about on newegg? the ps3 aint that expensive on the egg

·
Registered
82 Posts
Bob and Kevin,

Yes, you are quite right, I have read good things about the Panasonic BD60. For me, up-converting of Standard Def DVDs to 1080p is extremely important because I have allot of Standard DVD's. However, I would rather that the up-converting be done by the AV amp.

Does the Panasonic BD60 have a source direct mode where audio/video from Standard DVDs is passed onto the amp without it being processed in any way ?

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
The only downer to the PS3 is power consumption. Especially in the original version, the PS3 was a power hog. Makes sense considering the PS3 is virtually a computer hiding in a game console's clothing.
Of course, you also get a video game system and hard drive to store your music library. Truth be told, I love my PS3, but never use it for Blu Ray playback.

Panasonic offers well engineered players. Cannot fault anyone for choosing them. However, if DVD performance is a super high priority, I would recommend spending more and picking up the OPPO BDP-83. Also, it appear the BD-60 does not offer Source Direct.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
127 Posts
I get the points offered but at this day and age BD roms and readers as well as players are a bit pricey i think we can all agree on that when they get cheaper and supply and demand gets greater more players at cheaper prices and there-forth comes new BD technology. And personally i would get a BD rom for my pc then run them offa there cause its wasteful IMO to use such a nice theater panel and sound for just movies and TV with windows 7 theirs a whole other world to be explored.. which im currently working on videos games look immaculate on my pc and cant be bested by a console..YET :sneeky: especially on my 50 Kuro:R

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Many Retail Analyst's are predicting this holiday season the 100 Dollar Blu Ray Player. With DVD sales in the gutter, already Blu Ray discs are dropping in price and Players should soon catch up.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
127 Posts
JJ you are correct they are dropping and while 100 is still expensive thats not the issues BD disk are the killer at almost 20 bucks a disk for the good stuff

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I have the LG BD370. I got it from amazon for $150 bucks.
The main reason I got this unit is because it will stream netflix watch it now. It does a good job doing it too and it also will play youtube videos

·
Banned
601 Posts
I have the LG BD370. I got it from amazon for $150 bucks.
The main reason I got this unit is because it will stream netflix watch it now. It does a good job doing it too and it also will play youtube videos
That's a really good price (retails for $299).

And you're right; NetCast Entertainment Access also with CinemaNow streaming. And has front-panel USB port.
And it is very fast, the quickest, most responsive Blu-ray player.

* The panny BD60 also retails for $299, but can be found for $130.
And has Viera Cast media portal with YouTube video streaming, Picasa photo viewing,
and Bloomberg News headlines.
Also, it has front-panel SD card slot, and front-panel USB port.
And it has a host of picture adjustments, with five presets.
Picture quality is a notch better than the LG BD370.

** "Sound and Vision Mag" from the September 2009 issue, has a review of three Blu-ray players;
the LG BD370, the Panny DMP-BD60, & the Sammy BD-P1600 (also another good player).
*** The Panny BD60 is the only one to received "Certified and Recommended".

Just thought of sharing this.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
i have the Panasonic in my living room and I find it to be quite slow at reading disks and also turning on and ejecting the disk. The LG is pretty instantanious.

·
Banned
601 Posts
Yeah, but what would you rather have? A fast player with good picture, or a slower player with great picture?

* Pick your poison. :T

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
to be honest, I can't tell the difference in quality of picture, both look good.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts