Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in need of some excellent advice from Mike P and my friends over at the "shack"? I am having a severe case of driver-selection-itis. :help:

I have owned some great subs in the past ie. Danley TH50, DTS10, Dual passive Cap Pros on a PL380 QSC, Quad Soundsplinter 15 with (8) 15" AE passive radiators, quad passive mfw 15's on an inuke 6000DSP, and a few other "experiments."

I am just getting the funds to start to get back in the game. I just upgraded with some custom built tempest towers and an Alchemy 8 center and I love them. I built a lilwrecker tapped horn sub with the Alpine driver and love it too. Now that I can play my movies and music loud again, I am running the lilwrecker a bit hard at times. That being said, I have been playing around with the idea of either a Lowarhorn (18" large tapped horn for the LMS-4500 or UXL-18) or a dual separate 18" slot ported assembly.

Me and my builder talked about the lowarhorn and he feels he can do it, but it will be fairly difficult (read expensive :spend:).

So...I began to look at closeout SI HT-18's or 18" ultimax's in 12-13 cubes each tuned to 16-17. I liked the plots and thought I was done.

Then my crazy bass mind started wandering. I always loved the look of the quad MFW-15 slot ported subs with all those cones moving in unison to the bass notes and the air pouring out of the wall of subwoofers. It was just "cool" to me and did add to the experience for me. So I thought, what is the baddest, highest output ported sub i could build using 12-13 cubes (two total for 24-26 cubes)?

I started looking at the high excursion high power subs : Fi SP4-18 with softened suspension for HT (specs here https://www.dropbox.com/s/ao2h44yk7a8vvvz/SP418S4HomeTheaterTS.JPG , Sundown Audio X-18, Sundown ZV.4-18, UXL-18, LMS-5400, and RE-XXX-18. Obviously on a whole other level from the SI 18s and UM-18s, but I am looking for serious output from ~16-70Hz. Will these drivers outperform the SI HT subs bu a large enough margin?

I began to model these subs with their required power (wow....these need and handle a ton of it) and was impressed with the output I was plotting. I know these plots are theoretical, but showed more potential than the SI or UM. One thing I did notice though, is the UM modeled the flattest in the Transfer Function Magnitude, which I am assuming is the native response curve.

I sent emails to Fi and Sundown about using these driver in HT and only Fi Responded so far.

Fi said they have many customers that use the SP4's in HT and he could soften the suspension a bit to gear it more towards HT.

With all this info, I still sit here not sure which way to go. I do have size limitations, and would like to get the most bang for the buck, and I want this to flat out hammer! It needs to at least outperform my 4 MFW-15 passive ported cabs.

I am about 70% movies and 30% music. I have two iNuke 6000DSP, but can upgrade the amp if needed (as these don't do 2 ohm or bridge).

I have a 4311ci, minidsp 8x8, and two antimode 8033S.

Any help is welcome. Thanks fellow Shacksters!:bigsmile:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If 12-13 cubes is the net volume of the cabinets you should try modeling a pair of 15" subs in each and see what you come up with. In most cases a pair of 15's will outperform a single 18.
Thanks for the info Mike.

Hmmm. Interesting. I modeled dual 15" Sundown X-15 and dual SI HT 15. They seem to have a 2-3 db advantage over the best single 18". What should I be doing to my models to make sure I am apples to apples on this? SPL after power applied to get near xmax? What about transfer function response?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What seems to end up happening is the dual 15 has a slightly under size enclosure so the low-frequency Roll off Is a little more drastic. Am I seeing that right?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have narrowed my driver selection to the Sundown ZV4-18, the Stereo Integrity HST-18, and the Mach 5 UXL-18. All reputable companies and all really awesome drivers. Any preference on driver for my 12 cube ported design?

I am waiting for a few emails and calls back to finalize my decision. Also, I have changed my port to 3.5" tall to reduce port speed even more. These 30mm+ xmax drivers can move some air!!!

I have already begun buying the wood (lots!!eek.gif ), duratex, terminal cups, grill frames, and pl premium. Its moving forward!!!!!!

Thank you for the help Mike. Very much appreciated.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ForumRunner_20140208_203444.png

ForumRunner_20140208_203351.png

ForumRunner_20140208_203407.png

PART_1391616512333_Image1391616512314.jpg

ForumRunner_20140208_203430.png

Build progress so far. I chose my drivers and they will be here sometime in the next week or so. Getting very excited!

ForumRunner_20140208_203454.png

·
Registered
59 Posts
That looks epic and huge. At first I thought the center was the port.. then saw the pictures later and realized those were the braces and the entire section was port.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are very large. I knew on paper how large they would be, but in real life...they are enormous. Duratex showed up today and baffles need to be finished..then lots of sanding. Hoping for drivers in a week or so. I ordered an IPR7500 DSP to power the project. I'm looking forward to powering these up.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
image-725444057.jpg

image-3928783184.jpg

image-1104802348.jpg

Drivers are done being assembled and tested. They should ship tomorrow. Enclosures are ready for duratex. Also, I received my behringer inuke12000dsp today. I had to make a 10/3 power cord to mate with the supplied 32a Powercon connector from neutrik. Getting closer!

·
Registered
284 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They are the Hst18. Based on the same frame as the zv4 18 but that is where the similar features stop. Hst is a killer for ht.

ForumRunner_20140221_083401.png

ForumRunner_20140221_083419.png

New amp will punish them :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
image-2226422908.jpg

image-1188049388.jpg

They have landed. Seem to be ok even thought shipping boxes were beat up. Should be bumpin by the weekend.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They are built! Played a little last nigh but no real level due to it being 11pm. Today will be the test day. Notice the scale of my buddy Donald standing on them. They are huge...and heavy! Even low level bass was intense. Maybe a mm of excursion rattling the walls and playing deeeep. I'm anxious to blast them!

image-105157552.jpg

image-2452051602.jpg

image-1860972564.jpg

image-1992268653.jpg

·
Registered
284 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
please Don't shoot the messenger! Sheesh. I guess I should rephrase that the t/s specs are way different. My bad

·
Registered
124 Posts
something I have been wondering and worried about.... how do the fish deal with the bass? I see a tank in the background and am curious how the fish behave. Do they act up at all with bass at high volume?

I have a large aquarium and am worried if it will have a negative affect on them

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That picture is actually at my buddies house where they were built. I have a single fish in my kitchen and he does not seem to be bothered by the bass unless it actually shakes the countertop with shakes his bowl.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts