Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
As a moderator on another forum...I can inform you that it is illegal in the US to do this for DVD and BD. I've consulted an industry lawyer about this (about 1.5 years ago), and was told it's still illegal in the USA. I have some industry contacts as well and they have informed me that it was illegal - but they were not coming after the people that just rip for backups - however it's still illegal. They were concerned about the ones that practice R&R (that's not rest and relaxation - that's rent and rip) and the ones that redistribute. I stay away from discussing it to be on the safe side.
Going after people means they are "sueing" people ... "Illegal" in this context means breach of implied contract ... not felony mistermeanor etc or whatever, I think the word "illegal" has been used to scare people -kids- mostly and it doesn't seem to work.

Copywrite infringement is civil not criminal in most cases. Calling it "illegal" in this context assums that they would even win a lawsuit against you or it begs the question. If your are making backup copies of disks you own to keep your kids from breaking them or something I doubt a jury would side with whoever's bringing the lawsuit but if you are distributing copies they can make a good argument that your actions resulted in significant financial loss and you could be held liable

1 - 1 of 1 Posts