Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just want to confirm we are not talking about anything illegal here? A question, not a statement.
Depends, last I heard, the courts are having a hard time deciding what is legal. For example, Kaleidoscope rips your BD/DVD, but won't give it back without deleting the file. Ripping to your NAS or making a backup copy shouldn't be a problem as long as you have the original disc. My understanding is that illegal distribution is the industries main concern and rightly so.
Also... does anyone know a good answer for this: Do any of the free versions allow ripping of music from DVD and/or Blu-ray disc... into wave or flac files? OR... even a paid version?
I know MakeMKV does not...yet. It's been requested numerous times.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I just want to confirm we are not talking about anything illegal here? A question, not a statement.

Also... does anyone know a good answer for this:

Do any of the free versions allow ripping of music from DVD and/or Blu-ray disc... into wave or flac files?

OR... even a paid version?
As a moderator on another forum...I can inform you that it is illegal in the US to do this for DVD and BD. I've consulted an industry lawyer about this (about 1.5 years ago), and was told it's still illegal in the USA. I have some industry contacts as well and they have informed me that it was illegal - but they were not coming after the people that just rip for backups - however it's still illegal. They were concerned about the ones that practice R&R (that's not rest and relaxation - that's rent and rip) and the ones that redistribute. I stay away from discussing it to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As a moderator on another forum...I can inform you that it is illegal in the US to do this for DVD and BD. I've consulted an industry lawyer about this (about 1.5 years ago), and was told it's still illegal in the USA. I have some industry contacts as well and they have informed me that it was illegal - but they were not coming after the people that just rip for backups - however it's still illegal. They were concerned about the ones that practice R&R (that's not rest and relaxation - that's rent and rip) and the ones that redistribute. I stay away from discussing it to be on the safe side.
Going after people means they are "sueing" people ... "Illegal" in this context means breach of implied contract ... not felony mistermeanor etc or whatever, I think the word "illegal" has been used to scare people -kids- mostly and it doesn't seem to work.

Copywrite infringement is civil not criminal in most cases. Calling it "illegal" in this context assums that they would even win a lawsuit against you or it begs the question. If your are making backup copies of disks you own to keep your kids from breaking them or something I doubt a jury would side with whoever's bringing the lawsuit but if you are distributing copies they can make a good argument that your actions resulted in significant financial loss and you could be held liable

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
There have been conflicting rulings on the legality of software that circumvents copy protection schemes, whether for personal "fair use" or not. There have also been mixed messages sent by various organizations and copyright holders.

The bottom line is that there is not specific language in the statutes that says whether it is legal or illegal to make copies for archival or media changes. It is clear that copying for anything other than personal use is a target of copyright holders.

So we walk a fine line here, because we explicitly forbid discussion of illegal activities at HTS. This is fuzzy space, but beware, if the discussion seems to be promoting any activity that is either expressly illegal or has been deemed so by copyright holders, it will be removed.

That said, some organizations have said that they have no issue with copies made for personal use, e.g. RIAA.

·
Registered
151 Posts
...Even if you copy the BD using a paid ripper you run the risk of the new BD encryption that, after @20 minutes, drops the audio and posts a message on your screen that you're viewing a 'copy'.
Isn't that the Cinavia protection?

...That is why I brought up about DVDFab and AnyDVD. I use both and I rip my Blurays with out the problem you stated. I rip to the best quality possible and only remove the extra bits... Trailers, menu etc. So are you saying it is only if ripped to a Blueray disc and not ripped to a HDD? Why would it make a difference whether it was a HDD or a Blueray disc?
I think if the rip is re-encoded Cinavia will be gone. Of course, re-encoding means picture/audio quality will not be original... Whether or not someone can tell the difference (or cares that much about it) is another matter.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Do any of the free versions allow ripping of music from DVD and/or Blu-ray disc... into wave or flac files?
Like the audio track of a concert disc? Or just the score/songs portion off a film's audio track?

Don't know about the latter, but for concert DVDs (never done Blu-ray) I used to use DVDDecrypter in File Mode (I think it was) and select the tracks I wanted. I don't remember exactly, it's been a really long time since I last tried that. I didn't do that many either. I think there also might have been a step or two regarding DVDDecrypter settings that I've since forgotten. I think another way was with another long dead program, SmartRipper.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Isn't that the Cinavia protection?

I think if the rip is re-encoded Cinavia will be gone. Of course, re-encoding means picture/audio quality will not be original... Whether or not someone can tell the difference (or cares that much about it) is another matter.
Cinavia remains if you do a 1:1 copy. It's removed if you rip it into a different format (MKV, .ts, .m2ts)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Cinavia remains if you do a 1:1 copy. It's removed if you rip it into a different format (MKV, .ts, .m2ts)
You mean convert/re-encode or just rip?
I was under the impression that if you rip a BD and just take the .m2ts movie file and play it, Cinavia would still be there...? I thought I read (don't remember) that even remuxing (w/o re-encoding) the .m2ts to .mkv would also leave Cinavia. No?
BTW, I don't have a player w/ Cinavia on it, so I can't test that.

Yes, the free version of DVDFab supports this. Click on Converter at the top then under Output on the left click the blue file icon, choose audio and select FLAC.
I did not know it did that, thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good evening everyone,
I have tried a couple of different programs, such as AnyDVD to rip my a few movies out of my collection but so far the output file has been jittery and unwatchable. I've tried different settings but the outcome is the same. I've recently bought a blu ray burner so I'm looking for a program that will rip both dvds and blu ray discs.

Thanks for all your help!
To enjoy DVD movies on your devices, you need to use a third party DVD Converter to rip DVD to a format that is well compatible with your devices. Here, Pavtube DVDAid is highly recommended to do this job. It features optimized format preset for iPhone/Android etc, and takes simple steps to finish DVD to your devides video ripping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After trying to use vlc and numerous other programs DumboFab is the one that actually worked. With a user friendly UI and lots of options in the menus this is by far the best ripper of them all. The main thing of appreciation about this DVD Ripper is that we don’t need to worry about the quality loss in overall transformation process.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts